Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 13:02   #781
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: KA 53/KL 9
Posts: 260
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

@ Spitfire: We should have a ride together, MJothi and me met up few days back and had a nice ride together. Lets catch up!

That is real nice mileage and I completely understand your point. I was looking at my fuel bills for June and at least I have saved 3000 INR from previous months. That is 30% of my bike cost in 3 months. Though I spend more than that on bike accessories So cycling more to save more to spend more is the mantra I am following. Finally saving more to upgrade to a BETTER bike as well.

@ phamilyman: I completely understand that, even though I am not seeing 430 AM but daily 530 AM is my time now. Almost daily morning cycling, covering 25 - 35 km (varying based on different routes that I follow). BTW I ride alone, so far couldnt find a ride partner near my house, that is also helping because I am on my own and not dependent on timings and plan of others :-)

Week ends I ride with groups, that is a really motivating factor to keep going.

Now I only feel bad for starting the biking this late.

Today I dropped my bike for the first free service at Decathlon, I will get it only on Monday next week. So few days without a bike, MISSING THE BIKE ALREADY! I would be picking a bike on rent from Decathlon for the week end, dont think I will be able to spend the week end without a bike!

Cheers
narayanang76
narayanang76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 13:39   #782
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Today I dropped my bike for the first free service at Decathlon, I will get it only on Monday next week. So few days without a bike, MISSING THE BIKE ALREADY! I would be picking a bike on rent from Decathlon for the week end, dont think I will be able to spend the week end without a bike!

Cheers
narayanang76
That's surprising. I got it serviced in one day. I did a full service.

Anyway that was paid, so probably

I guess yours is the free service right?

Btw, we can go for group morning ride once you are back to Hoodi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Yesterday, while getting back to work from office. It started raining. It was drizzling so I left without bothering. Halfway to HAL airport road. It started pouring. But I just kept going. Didnt feel like stopping at all.
I use to enjoy such rides. But the cleaning of chains made me take the car these days due to rain and slush

Last edited by mjothi : 7th July 2011 at 13:50.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 13:41   #783
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Either have to drop my wife at her parents home, or I work from home.
Ah!! excuses..

Last weekend my wife wanted to pick some gifts for a visit to a friends place. I said why don't you take the bus and I cycle to the shopping place

Like we all the know I ended up driving the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The next level is when you start sleeping early, waking up at 400-430am to ride out and return by 630am having clocked 40-45km.
WHOA!! Actually, what a coincidence that you say that. These days I get up early, since my son started school. And while sitting in the balcony reading the newspaper with my cup of tea. I have been thinking exactly the same. Why not get up earlier take the bike out. Ride around and then get back to life.

I am going to get on it sooner then later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
@ Spitfire: We should have a ride together, MJothi and me met up few days back and had a nice ride together. Lets catch up!
Oh I missed it. Saw the PM quite late. I get quite a few of them and some important messages get missed amongst them. Yeah lets see when we can do it again.

Another bit to add.

Yesterday, while getting back to work from office. It started raining. It was drizzling so I left without bothering. Halfway to HAL airport road. It started pouring. But I just kept going. Didnt feel like stopping at all.

So if anyone saw a crazy dude with a RR 5.2, paddling to glory in heavy rain on that route yesterday with a big smile plastered on his face. It was me.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 13:51   #784
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,663 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Ah!! excuses..

Last weekend my wife wanted to pick some gifts for a visit to a friends place. I said why don't you take the bus and I cycle to the shopping place

Like we all the know I ended up driving the car.


Quote:

So if anyone saw a crazy dude with a RR 5.2, paddling to glory in heavy rain on that route yesterday with a big smile plastered on his face. It was me.
Cycling in the rain, even if its a slight drizzle is BLISS.
Since I don't care if I get wet as my office clothes, mobile and wallet are safe inside a (hopefully) waterproof bag, and I don't carry my laptop anymore.

Its good to be young again.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 14:04   #785
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
But the cleaning of chains made me take the car these days due to rain and slush
Now that you say that. It was my worry too.

But are these bikes not suitable for our climate? Rain and shine stuff. I see signs of rust already. I saw it today morning.

I will need to oil and clean it thoroughly this weekend. Right now i have left it as is.

Let me see what abuse it can take and what it cannot. Its a mountain bike so I am thinking it has to invariably be a tougher one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Since I don't care if I get wet as my office clothes, mobile and wallet are safe inside a (hopefully) waterproof bag, and I don't carry my laptop anymore.
I had my laptop, my mobile in the backpack.

And this bag surprisingly let no water in. It was raining quite heavily. It was thoroughly wet from outside but nothing inside.

Had picked this one for Rs 800 in Total Mall. Says FGear on it. Worth every penny if it holds out water this well. Me, I was drenched to the bone but had a smile that couldn't go away.

My MIL who opened the door was convinced that her daughter married me by mistake.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 14:10   #786
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,663 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I will need to oil and clean it thoroughly this weekend. Right now i have left it as is.
Use WD40 to clean the chain and then oil it.
I think the best way is to spray some wd40 on a piece of cloth and hold it around the chain. Then rotate the pedals. So the entire chain gets a good clean.
Also remember to add the oil on both sides of the chain.

Quote:

I had my laptop, my mobile in the backpack.
I hope its not on your back. Avoid any weight on the back.

Quote:
And this bag surprisingly let no water in. It was raining quite heavily. It was thoroughly wet from outside but nothing inside.

Had picked this one for Rs 800 in Total Mall. Says FGear on it. Worth every penny if it holds out water this well. Me, I was drenched to the bone but had a smile that couldn't go away.
I configured my personal laptop as my work laptop. Its got the vpn stuff etc installed. So I don't need to bring my office laptop home with me.
Now I feel foolish for not having done this earlier.


Quote:

My MIL who opened the door was convinced that her daughter married me by mistake.
Mine got convinced the first time she saw me in my biking gear.
I still remember her shocked face as she said: "Aap ke ammi aap ko kuch nahi bolte kya". (Does your mom, not tell you anything).

bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 14:46   #787
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Use WD40 to clean the chain and then oil it.
I think the best way is to spray some wd40 on a piece of cloth and hold it around the chain. Then rotate the pedals. So the entire chain gets a good clean.Also remember to add the oil on both sides of the chain.
Being on a bike (motorized one) for most of my life. Oiling chains is a learned art. You would know too. Bullet riders may not know how to comb their hair but will know how to oil chains.

Thanks for the bit though. I now remember my WD40 is almost empty. Time to get a new one.

Quote:
I hope its not on your back. Avoid any weight on the back.
It is on my back. And I have heard its not good. But no problems yet. What signs should I be looking at to tell me I am not doing the right thing?

How about hanging it on the front instead. Over the stomach? I really don't think I will get a carrier for the cycle.

About the laptop I have to carry one. More importantly I can work home as much as I want to but with the cycle I don't want to.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 15:00   #788
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 2,119 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So if anyone saw a crazy dude with a RR 5.2, paddling to glory in heavy rain on that route yesterday with a big smile plastered on his face. It was me.
No, I didnt see you; but the letters 'RR 5.2' attracted my attention. My RR 5.2 is in a shipment on it way to Pune and I will be out on the streets with her soon.

Apart from WD40, is there any kit that you keep handy at home and where did you get it from? I will be making a trip shortly to a couple of cycle marts here to see what I find. I appreciate any info you can provide
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 15:03   #789
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

a. Clean chains is okay with WD40 but purists can buy the icetoolz chain cleaner and the supplied fluid. works like magic
b. thereafer, you need finishline green (wet) for these rains. As always, the links u need:
BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Finishline Green wet lube review
BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Conclusive evidence against Singer oil as a chain lube
BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - lubricating my chain

@selfdrive: not maintenance, but the other stuff: http://freerider.in/drupal/General/C...an#Accessories
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 21:41   #790
BHPian
 
gautamkhadse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 259
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
No, I didnt see you; but the letters 'RR 5.2' attracted my attention. My RR 5.2 is in a shipment on it way to Pune and I will be out on the streets with her soon.

Apart from WD40, is there any kit that you keep handy at home and where did you get it from? I will be making a trip shortly to a couple of cycle marts here to see what I find. I appreciate any info you can provide

Hi SD : You said your bike is on its way , where from ? why didn't you buy it from an outlet in PUne itself ? Also , would you need to pay the octroi on the cycle too , if yes how much.

Since you bought the cycle from elsewhere how much did you pay for it and what was the price being quoted in Pune .

I am looking for a Schwinn Frontier Expert in maroon or white colour but al the shops here have only in silver color . The only shop in Kothrun which has it in maroon color is quoting 17 thousand and others with the silver color are selling it for 15 thousand with stand and bottle cage and tail light additional for head light .
gautamkhadse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 22:55   #791
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 2,119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse

Hi SD : You said your bike is on its way , where from ? why didn't you buy it from an outlet in PUne itself ? Also , would you need to pay the octroi on the cycle too , if yes how much.

Since you bought the cycle from elsewhere how much did you pay for it and what was the price being quoted in Pune .
no idea about prices in Pune. I am bringing back my used bicycle from Paris. It is part of a larger shipment. No one has told me about any octroi charges yet. I will let you know if I hear of something
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 15:37   #792
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jam-luru
Posts: 259
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Hercules act110s for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
I have put up my Hercules act110s for sale( ad in classifieds section.). It is about 9 months old. I am not using regularly and gradually stepped out of the habit of cycling due to some other priorities.
So if some one is interested in buying it ,you may respond via pm or the mail id in the classified.
Please note the location( hyderabad).
sent you a PM for more details.
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 15:49   #793
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I need rear view mirrors on my RR 5.2. Any suggestions?

HECK!! I feel like a fish out of water without rearward visibility on our Bangalore roads.

How many are in a similar dilemma?
Some examples here

BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Rare view mirror

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2011 at 11:12. Reason: Please stick to the topic of discussion. No personal remarks. Thanks
kumar2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 9th July 2011, 07:31   #794
BHPian
 
Wind splitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 123
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

That's my new bike which I brought last month, I have been riding it real hard and boy what a joy biking around.

Brand: Giant Revel 2
How much: 14850 (Inclusive of accessories)
Fun: Unlimited
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-imag0396.jpg  

Wind splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 09:15   #795
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Congrts - the revel is a lovely bicycle.

However, your seatpost is about 2-3" below what it should be. Did you check your sizing before you buy? Please re-evaluate right away and exchange for the right size if the sizing is wrong!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vintage and classic Bicycles in India the mole Pre-War 77 5th February 2017 09:54
Motor Vehicles Act - Improvements proposed: Higher fines, Reflectors on Bicycles, etc Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 36 28th March 2014 11:28
The Team-Bhp thread of shame (Pray you arent mentioned in this thread ) speedsatya Street Experiences 10 24th February 2012 14:27
BMW Bicycles!! Stratos Shifting gears 16 14th June 2005 21:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks