Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 07:13   #916
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao
I would like to add that any indian city roads can be bad, unless one is looking at riding in MGroad or indirangar etc

Cycling is fun when you use it for exploring, riding in some narrow gullies is the best part, so in these cases its best to have an MTB
Very narrow n presumptive thought. I completely disagree. Agree with Rajan here.

I recommend a Roadie n a MTB :o
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 07:43   #917
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 755
Thanked: 292 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

@tifosi : u rock man. Awesome. Has your wife disowned u yet? good show man!
Hi Thanks. It hasn't happened as yet, but have come close to it once or twice. One good this is that since we start very early in the morning(otherwise Chennai heat will make a roast out of you), I am able to reach back home by 10ish..

By the way, completed exactly 1 month yesterday with my bike and dailymile says I have covered 1480kms.

Thank you all for the encouragement and I am really enjoying the sport till now...
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 10:13   #918
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,124
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Well dont want to get into a argument, i stated a practical experience of mine and if one thinks their is presumption attached to it then i cant help!



Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Very narrow n presumptive thought. I completely disagree. Agree with Rajan here.

I recommend a Roadie n a MTB :o
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 12:10   #919
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao
Well dont want to get into a argument, i stated a practical experience of mine and if one thinks their is presumption attached to it then i cant help!
We're all stating our practical experience here Dada. My submission is that there's no absolute truth here (ref harism on bz) n my slick MTB still does explore the mud by lanes of Gurgaon with lesser punctures (continental rocks) .
There is an inherent assumption in what u wrote? That hybrids can't really manage the exploration bit, no?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 14:59   #920
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,124
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Well i think i stated that "MTB"'s are better suited for bad terrains, just like a SUV example where anyday a SUV is better suited for bad terrain but that does not mean sedans cant take the bad terrains...



Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
We're all stating our practical experience here Dada. My submission is that there's no absolute truth here (ref harism on bz) n my slick MTB still does explore the mud by lanes of Gurgaon with lesser punctures (continental rocks) .
There is an inherent assumption in what u wrote? That hybrids can't really manage the exploration bit, no?
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 11:51   #921
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 826
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Failed IQ Test

Guys
I need help in passing this IQ test. Not able to figure this out since a week.

How do I use this cycle pump with my new cycle? I am not able to fit it on the valve correctly.

Pic attached.

Thanks
--
Ragul
Attached Images
 
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 11:09   #922
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,187 Times
Default Re: Failed IQ Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Guys
I need help in passing this IQ test. Not able to figure this out since a week.

How do I use this cycle pump with my new cycle? I am not able to fit it on the valve correctly.

Pic attached.

Thanks
--
Ragul
What kind of valve do you have? Is it Presta or Schrader?

Name:  Valves.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  5.6 KB

This should help you - How to Inflate Bike Tires - wikiHow

Cheers,
Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 11:27   #923
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,187 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well i think i stated that "MTB"'s are better suited for bad terrains, just like a SUV example where anyday a SUV is better suited for bad terrain but that does not mean sedans cant take the bad terrains...
There lies the problem. SUVs are sure better suited for bad terrain, but from a bicycle context, potholes and speed bumps do not qualify as bad terrain. As a matter of fact, it does not qualify as bad terrain even from an automobile perspective.

Elaborating on the automobile example, we can broadly equate as follows:

Road Bike - Sedan / hatch back
MTB - 4x4 vehicle
Hybrid - SUV, without 4x4

One should also note that there are road focused hybrids and mountain focused hybrids. Unlike a car, a bad choice of a bicycle can rob the entire fun of cycling and can actually lead to losing interest and giving up cycling altogether. I did ride my nephew's MaxIT Crossbow for a week or so. Thankfully, I opened my eyes early and bought the Bianchi Hybrid. I am sure if I had continued to use my nephew's bike for a month or so, I would have given up biking altogether.

IMHO, buying a MTB for daily commute and for the occasional trail (read once or twice a year and I am talking about true technical trails and not potholed roads) is over kill. I agree with phamilyman here. One would be better off getting a roadbike and a MTB - akin to most of our own OTR enthusiasts, who own a sedan for regular commutes and a 4x4 for real OTRs

Just my 2 cents

Cheers,
Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 11:56   #924
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 917
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post

One should also note that there are road focused hybrids and mountain focused hybrids. Unlike a car, a bad choice of a bicycle can rob the entire fun of cycling and can actually lead to losing interest and giving up cycling altogether. I did ride my nephew's MaxIT Crossbow for a week or so. Thankfully, I opened my eyes early and bought the Bianchi Hybrid. I am sure if I had continued to use my nephew's bike for a month or so, I would have given up biking altogether.

IMHO, buying a MTB for daily commute and for the occasional trail (read once or twice a year and I am talking about true technical trails and not potholed roads) is over kill. I agree with phamilyman here. One would be better off getting a roadbike and a MTB - akin to most of our own OTR enthusiasts, who own a sedan for regular commutes and a 4x4 for real OTRs
Cheers,
Rajan
Excellent post.
I agree one does not need an MTB unless and until one will be going on ,mountain
trails regularly . Hybrid is perfect for city,bad roads/village roads and occasional light trails.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 12:05   #925
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,124
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Well, now that i have not specified what is bad terrain let me do so...i live in a region which is surrounded by mountains/hills, i have ample opportunity to explore narrow roads which are not trails but thier is actually no roads or mixture of both and this is how the entire terrain is and considering that this is as the condition, leaving the city limits for me a SUV or a MTB suits...

For the one who intends to ride ONLY in Bangalore then a Road bike or an Hybrid suits the best!


Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
There lies the problem. SUVs are sure better suited for bad terrain, but from a bicycle context, potholes and speed bumps do not qualify as bad terrain. As a matter of fact, it does not qualify as bad terrain even from an automobile perspective.

Elaborating on the automobile example, we can broadly equate as follows:

Road Bike - Sedan / hatch back
MTB - 4x4 vehicle
Hybrid - SUV, without 4x4

One should also note that there are road focused hybrids and mountain focused hybrids. Unlike a car, a bad choice of a bicycle can rob the entire fun of cycling and can actually lead to losing interest and giving up cycling altogether. I did ride my nephew's MaxIT Crossbow for a week or so. Thankfully, I opened my eyes early and bought the Bianchi Hybrid. I am sure if I had continued to use my nephew's bike for a month or so, I would have given up biking altogether.

IMHO, buying a MTB for daily commute and for the occasional trail (read once or twice a year and I am talking about true technical trails and not potholed roads) is over kill. I agree with phamilyman here. One would be better off getting a roadbike and a MTB - akin to most of our own OTR enthusiasts, who own a sedan for regular commutes and a 4x4 for real OTRs

Just my 2 cents

Cheers,
Rajan
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 12:17   #926
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,187 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

@lohithrao: Relax buddy. I am not contesting your decision to get an MTB or jusifying my decision to get a hybrid. This was all in response to this:


Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Ok folks, here is what I have.

1. Rockrider 5.2 - 14599/- MTB
2. SCHWINN SEARCHER 2011 - 16600/- Hybrid
3. FRONTIER SPORT - 14900/- MTB
4. GT AGGRESSOR 2.0 - 16500/- MTB
5. GT AGGRESSOR 3.0 - 14500/- MTB
6. SCHWINN FRONTIER COMP - 15400/- MTB
7. SCHWINN SPORTERRA - 14980/- Hybrid
8. Giant Boulder 2 - 17800/- - MTB

All hybrid's have thinner tyre profiles.

I am about 100kgs, should I pick the hybrids or play safe with MTB's.
The question here was - can a hybrid support a 100 kg rider or not. I answered based on the user's location - Bangalore. There seems to be a general misconception that MTBs are better suited for bad roads and can carry more load. Just trying to dispel that

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 12:24   #927
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,124
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

PatchyBoy, no issues, since you quoted me i thought let me be more specific

however i feel its on the usage and what terrain one intends to use the bike, so one needs to consider.

meanwhile i have covered 100kms, last weekend rode around/down kudremukha both me and the bike were tested and happy both survived the test

Will write a short review and log soon.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 12:47   #928
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Though some of the MTB look like MTBs, they might not really be Moutain Terrain Bike.

Like my RR 5.2 in its brochure says not to do any heavy duty mountain riding on this bike.

I think it just looks like a MTB but is road bike with fat tires.

Not that I am complaining. I drive a Bolero on city roads Same-Same.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 14:43   #929
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Like my RR 5.2 in its brochure says not to do any heavy duty mountain riding on this bike.
And that's how they can sell the BMX

@Rajan, I think MTB are "designed" to take more weight and hurt. The weight is not just to do with the frames, its also to do with the spokes of the wheels. So, in MTB the rims and spokes are made to handle such impact too. Since now I am mentioning, I think I need to look closure on this fact now...

Imagine a 100+ KG person on a roadie in the road we took to Nandi

I am sure you remember about the other person in roadie and how he felt in riding in that road parallel to the Hoodi track.

Last edited by mjothi : 18th August 2011 at 14:54.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 19:46   #930
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,187 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

Imagine a 100+ KG person on a roadie in the road we took to Nandi

I am sure you remember about the other person in roadie and how he felt in riding in that road parallel to the Hoodi track.
@mjothi - On a roadie, I agree with you. A 100+ kg person would feel awful on a roadie in bad roads. I am sure the same does not hold good for Hybrids and Tourers. Touring bikes usually carry a lot of baggage and the rider, right?

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vintage and classic Bicycles in India the mole Pre-War 77 5th February 2017 09:54
Motor Vehicles Act - Improvements proposed: Higher fines, Reflectors on Bicycles, etc Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 36 28th March 2014 11:28
The Team-Bhp thread of shame (Pray you arent mentioned in this thread ) speedsatya Street Experiences 10 24th February 2012 14:27
BMW Bicycles!! Stratos Shifting gears 16 14th June 2005 21:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks