Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th September 2016, 13:32   #151
BHPian

I get sick in the third row of our Qualis. My wife gets sick in the front passenger seat if she had to bend to get anything out of a bag. My kids feel nausea in the swift and third row qualis sometimes.
Recently was driving fast in the mountains in Kuala Lumpur in a SUV and a colleague of mine from the middle row got off to puke.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 22:14   #152
BHPian

Default Re: Do you get car-sick?

The "weird feeling" is known as Motion Sickness and affects men, women and children equally and passed down the generations through the genes. Although there are remedies for temporary relief, there is no permanent cure.

Here are some abstracts from Wikipedia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness)

Motion sickness can be divided into three categories:
  1. Motion sickness caused by motion that is felt but not seen
  2. Motion sickness caused by motion that is seen but not felt
  3. Motion sickness caused when both systems detect motion but they do not correspond.
Examples for Motion sickness caused by motion that is felt but not seen
- Car/bus sickness, Air sickness, Sea sickness, Centrifuges, Dizziness due to spinning

Examples for Motion sickness caused by motion that is seen but not felt
- Films, Virtual Reality and Space sickness

Example of Motion sickness caused when both systems detect motion but they do not correspond
- Sometimes when riding a vehicle for a long time on a badly maintained road at a very slow (10Ė20 km/h) speed the two senses fail to correspond. Due to the poor road quality the vehicle will jerk too much giving a sense of severe motion to the inner ear, but due to the slow speed the eye doesn't sense a proportional amount of motion

TREATMENT:
Devices:
- A head-worn, computer device with a transparent display can be used to mitigate the effects of motion sickness if visual indicators of the wearerís head position are shown. Such a device functions by providing the wearer with digital reference lines in their field of vision that indicate the horizonís position relative to the userís head. This is accomplished by combining readings from accelerometers and gyroscopes mounted in the device. This technology has been implemented in both standalone devices and Google Glass

Activity:
- One common suggestion is to simply look out of the window of the moving vehicle and to gaze towards the horizon in the direction of travel. This helps to re-orient the inner sense of balance by providing a visual re-affirmation of motion
In the night, or in a ship without windows, it is helpful to simply close one's eyes, or if possible, take a nap. This resolves the input conflict between the eyes and the inner ear. Napping also helps prevent psychogenic effects (i.e. the effect of sickness being magnified by thinking about it)
A simple method for relieving common and mild car sickness is chewing. Chewing gum has an uncanny effectiveness for reducing car sickness in those affected. Chewing gum, however, is not the only thing one may chew to relieve mild effects of car sickness, snacking on sweets or just chewing in general seems to reduce adverse effects of the conflict between vision and balance
Fresh, cool air can also relieve motion sickness slightly, although it is likely this is related to avoiding foul odors which can worsen nausea
While playing computer games, and mainly in first-person shooter games, some cases of simulation sickness can be resolved by changing the field of view in the game. Some games have a default setting which places a player's vision a small distance ahead of the actual object controlled, which will most likely trigger simulation sickness

Medications:
- Over the counter drugs from your friendly neighborhood medical shop or in sever cases your family physician will recommend medications

Electronic:
- As astronauts frequently have motion sickness, NASA has done extensive research on the causes and treatments for motion sickness. One very promising looking treatment is for the person suffering from motion sickness to wear LCD shutter glasses that create a stroboscopic vision of 4 Hz with a dwell of 10 milliseconds
bhandary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 14:37   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post

Electronic:
- As astronauts frequently have motion sickness, NASA has done extensive research on the causes and treatments for motion sickness. One very promising looking treatment is for the person suffering from motion sickness to wear LCD shutter glasses that create a stroboscopic vision of 4 Hz with a dwell of 10 milliseconds
WOW, just the kind of thing to spend my day researching on!

By the way my contribution to the thread.
I get motion sickness with anything that moves.
Surprisingly I have not felt the same in boats in the sea!!!
So having a clear access to the "horizon" really makes a huge difference.

Sitting in the back seat of a "modern" car with narrow slits mislabelled as "windows", and stout squat broad front sporty seats with nondetachable headrests absolutely gets me puking in no time.

Now speaking about windows, what I have observed is that the glass area BELOW the neutral line of sight is more important than the glass area above. What this means is that seats and windows should be so designed as to place your eyes above the middle of the glass pane.

Unfortunately, the more "modern" a design becomes, the narrower the windows becomes, and more sunk the seats become.

Last edited by alpha1 : 19th September 2016 at 14:38.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 19:59   #154
BHPian

Well I dont know if this can be termed car sick, but if I sit on any of the seats apart from the driver's seat (in short if I am not driving), I end up coming home more tired than on longer journeys in the drivers seat. Adding to it, I start feeling sleepy as well. So generally while on long trips, even if the driver is there along, I take the wheel as soon as I get in the vehicle. This is only in cars BTW

No issues in any other mode of transport whatsoever
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 16:52   #155
BHPian

I get motion sickness if I take the backseat in most cars and the most sick I got was in an Audi A4! I have never got such nausea while in any car. I rarely sit in the backseat, and if in need, usually take up the front passenger seat. Maybe if we are used to driving very much, motion sickness is expected when we become passengers! Avomin helps as an over the counter medication.
The Rationalist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 13:40   #156
BHPian

I do get sick quite a few times on the backseat; especially under the following circumstances,

1. If I try to read anything such as news paper, magazine or even a message on the mobile phone when the car is moving.
2. If the road is too crowded and the driver applies brakes repeatedly.
3. If the road is full of twists and turns and the car is moving at a fairly high pace.

I tend to develop sickness more often in expensive cars such as A4 / Civic etc., than in people movers like santro, WagonR etc.

The case is bit different with my wife though, she usually gets sick when we are travelling to my native place, but she never gets it when travelling to her native.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 24th September 2016 at 13:43.
King_pin09 is offline   Reply With Quote