Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th February 2009, 11:28   #61
BHPian

I would agree to what the senator says, anyone getting bailout money should employ the locals first. You guys should read the comments in the article posted site, some desperates there.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 11th February 2009 at 11:30.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 07:02   #62
BHPian

That's why y'all should move up north to Canada.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 21:19   #63
BHPian

Guys how is the market for H1 now a days in US. Does it worth taking chance now in current market situation or wait for first qtr next year.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 20:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

what are the different kinds of us visa that is available? i.e what is the difference between, H1B/L1/K1/N1. which among them is the best?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 21:08   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Guys how is the market for H1 now a days in US. Does it worth taking chance now in current market situation or wait for first qtr next year.
What area are you targeting?
If you are targeting NY based financial industry, people are still apprehensive about hiring H1B people. About west coast, major companies never stop hiring. But a lot of smaller companies are cutting back a lot.

How is the market depends a lot on the domain/area you are looking for.

Generally, companies are reluctant to make an offer at the end of the year. So its the best to apply for H1 next year.

I assume when you said you want to apply for H1, you mean, through a consultant or bodyshopper..correct? Technically, you need to have ajob offer in hand and then your employer files for your H1, you cant get it by yourself. Just some clarification.
abhijitaparadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 21:14   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
what are the different kinds of us visa that is available? i.e what is the difference between, H1B/L1/K1/N1. which among them is the best?
More info is here Wiki

Which one is best? Well, depends on a zillion things. Too vague to compare them without giving any factors.
Old 17th November 2009, 01:44   #67
Senior - BHPian

thanks abhijit!!!! so h1b seems the only option. does it come come with single entry or multiple entries?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 02:15   #68
BHPian

H1B is always multiple entry.
But as I said in my previous post, you need to find an employer/consultant/bodyshopper who will file your H1B petition. You cant file it on your own.
Old 17th November 2009, 07:29   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
thanks abhijit!!!! so h1b seems the only option. does it come come with single entry or multiple entries?
Sir, H1 is basically the high-skilled workers permit. AFAIK, its issued for a period of 3 years, and renewed once for next 3 years.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 10:46   #70
Team-BHP Support

Now the Homeland Security chaps are getting mean: H-1B visa-holders being deported from port of landing! : Rediff.com Business

This means pretty much everybody in consulting assignment are in trouble. Very few H1-B guys work directly for an employer in USA.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th January 2010 at 10:50.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 10:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

Yeah! My wife was also saying something about this. People need to be in the same city as the documents permit/say.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 11:20   #72
BHPian

hard to believe that you can skip personal interview for a US visa. I have gone through the formalities more then once through one of the indian big players. after 2005-06 i think interview is mandatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have personally filled and applied for H1-B for myself and couple of others, we didn't have HR staff. So I am familiar with all the hoops the H1-B employers are asked to jump through. Most of these hoops are big employer friendly. The big companies get business express benefit, even a very junior employee of a big company can skip the personal interview, but even CEO or MD of smaller companies can't escape it.

So what, with access to army of lawyers anything is possible.
arunsasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 12:17   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunsasi View Post
hard to believe that you can skip personal interview for a US visa. I have gone through the formalities more then once through one of the indian big players. after 2005-06 i think interview is mandatory
My experiences are between 1993-2003. I know it has become more and more difficult with time.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 13:26   #74
BHPian

Default US imposing tough restrictions on H1B

This is a good move by US Govt.

People complain (and papers like TOI) as if it is their birth right to get visa for another country. Lets not forget it is only a favor.

First priority should be given to US born citizens, not Indians or others, especially, at a time when US citizens are losing jobs. You dont want Indians getting attacked on the streets like what is happening in Aus.

Instead of being 'dependent' on US , may be educated Indians should team up and vote properly, and bring entrepreneurship and in investment in India, and compete with US.

Indian economy is growing healthy.

Last edited by aerohit : 26th January 2010 at 13:31.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 20:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
People complain (and papers like TOI) as if it is their birth right to get visa for another country. Lets not forget it is only a favor.
Let me introduce you to the first axiom of economics. Nobody does anybody a favor in a market, we call these rational decisions. And USA is as market oriented as a country can get.

Let me also explain to you the fact that USA holds and consumes world's largest part of natural resources, while rest of the world struggles. Wondering what makes you think a small group of peple who moved to a resourceful continent 500 years back have full rights to deny others any use of it.

I will refrain from commenting on india's prospects that you mentioned for now
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote