Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 23rd February 2007, 11:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man! That's great going!!
We look forward to more pics from you.

However, mere acknowledgement of the name of the copyright owner is not enough under Copyright law. The guys are supposed to take your written and signed permission before they publish your pics. Also, you are entitled to demand a fee before you give permission. If they didn't take your prior permission before publishing and if you think one year's subscription ain't enough compensation (that's what they gave you?), you can sue them for copyright infringement.

Cheers!
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Congrats man! That's great going!!
We look forward to more pics from you.

However, mere acknowledgement of the name of the copyright owner is not enough under Copyright law. The guys are supposed to take your written and signed permission before they publish your pics. Also, you are entitled to demand a fee before you give permission. If they didn't take your prior permission before publishing and if you think one year's subscription ain't enough compensation (that's what they gave you?), you can sue them for copyright infringement.

Cheers!
Sounds Interesting . But what if the person has mailed the photograph to the Publisher?

Anyways Congrats man... Now that they are published.. how about sharing them here as well...?
sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 15:01   #18
BHPian

Thanks friends...
i mailed them spy pics, and they asked me that these photos are exclusive or not. may be they will give me something in future.. well i am still kid in spyphtography, cant say about website for now.so i will open website in future. they still want more spy pics from me. we are in touch by mail. sure i will upload my spy pics here too.
tushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 01:51   #19
BHPian

If you have more of these spyshots then i think u have a good chanses of using these for your monitory gains
sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 21:11   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Their magazine sales would have boosted by several lakhs of rupees with pics like that. Hope you realize Tushky, that youve been taken to the cleaners.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 11:32   #21
BHPian

i am in contact with d editor of autocar. they said we will reward you. i dont know when and how. how can i ask them for a reward. if i keep asking them regulary then one day they will stop taking pics from me i think.
Old 26th February 2007, 11:44   #22
Team-BHP Support

If they stop taking pics from you then they will be the losers. Internationally spy photography is big business.

Their sales will go up big time. They have put spy pics in the cover of the march issue. People will buy the mag when they see the spy pics.

They will have to reward you big time and not with a measly one yr subscription.

ps: congrats your now a bhpian, post away more pics. I am looking for the endeavour.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 11:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
If they stop taking pics from you then they will be the losers. Internationally spy photography is big business.

Their sales will go up big time. They have put spy pics in the cover of the march issue. People will buy the mag when they see the spy pics.

They will have to reward you big time and not with a measly one yr subscription.

ps: congrats your now a bhpian, post away more pics. I am looking for the endeavour.
ok, i will mail them and ask about reward. well about the endeavor. i can see endeavour everyday. but it is parked deep inside the Arai gate. thats y i cant catch it. i will try.
Old 26th February 2007, 12:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
if i keep asking them regulary then one day they will stop taking pics from me i think.
Then you can sell them to another magazine. Your pics are good enough for that.

Buddy, you should not begin a business relationship this way. They are certain to take advantage of you later on also. You know how much spyshots like these are worth don't you? You should get a fair price for them.

You are still young, and we all learn only by doing things, and by making mistakes. I think you should try other major mags next time. I'm not saying you should sell only to the highest bidder. Sell to the people who give you respect, and pay you a reasonable sum, and give you credit for your effort. You will have a better long-term relationship with people like that.

I'm think that as the photographer (and the original creator of the work), you have the right to retain copyright on the photos and give the mags just the right to publish them, after paying you a compensation that you both agree on, and after giving you due credit. Only, if you have accepted a year's subscription as compensation for the photos that have been published, I don't think you will be able to legally claim any more for this set of photos.

PS: If my post sounds a little too serious, I hope you will take what I have said in the right spirit, and not as close-ended criticism.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 12:16   #25
Team-BHP Support

Try to get stuff in writing. I read somewhere that you used to wait for 7hrs to catch a pic of test car. that requires effort.

Mention to the mags that you do this which is not easy and you expect due compensation for publishing pics. Ask them if an agreement can be reached on this like hydra said.

Maybe they will make you Autocar official spy photographer but you need to make sure you are given compensation for the same.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 12:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Tushky, you've already made a mistake by submitting the pics without first negotiating the terms. You should have begun by sending them a letter informing them that you've taken such-and-such spy pics. In order to verify your claim, they could have demanded that the pics be shown to them first (a reasonable request). However, after the pics had been shown and found worthy of publishing in their mag, you (and not they) should have been dictating the terms.

Any way, don't feel bad. We all learn from mistakes, don't we?

You can PM me and I'll advise you on how to proceed in future.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 13:49   #27
Team-BHP Support

Tushky like everyone says start off with demanding an acknowledgement for all the efforts that you put in. You use your own petrol to reach NH-4/ARAI any other place worth to catch a glimpse of cars that are going to be released soon. You send pictures to an auto mag which will mint some money for the exclusiveness. What do you get at the end of the day? Your hobby will earn you some good business and may be later on you could use it up to buy something nice like a better camera to stand 2 kms away and snap the cars .
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 16:04   #28
BHPian

alright, so you all are saying that i should ask them first about payment and then i should send them photos. i am a bit shy in this buisness. i mean i cant ask people directly. toady i asked them about the reward again. i will get the reply from the editor before night. abouth other megazines.. i sent to overdrive to. they published 1 pic in megazine. in feb 2007 issue. i asked them about my prize. but they didnt reply me. even not a single word 'Thanks'. same thig they done with Oure T-bhp friend Sajo. But Editor of the Autocar and i are regularly in contact by mail. they asked for my contact ni. too. so now next time i will first ask them about payment. and then i will send them pics. anybody now anything about international megazine? i mean how to send photos to them?? still my aim is ti catch 1 lakh car 1st. i got information that there are 12 proto's of 1 lakh car.
i will take advice from all of you in future. thanks for supporting me. more pics soon.
Old 26th February 2007, 16:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

Well Tushky best thing to do in my opinion is that once you have some nice spy shots with you (let's say like some of the 1-Lac car) then approach Hormazd & tell him that you have spy pics of the car & you are willing to sell the pictures to Autocar exclusively but of course for a reasonable price. Also send similar emails to Overdrive/Top Gear. Sell the pictures to the highest bidder but make sure the pictures are exclusive to that magazine only. This will increase their trust in you which means regular business for you.

If the shots are good enough they will buy the pics & make this into a big story which in turn means more sales for them & money for you. If they ask to see a sample pic then you can send them one good picture but after photoshopping the picture with your watermark & a copyright warning to make sure there is no unauthorised use of the picture.

Remember that you're wasting your time, fuel, effort & money for these spy pics & you're fully justified in asking money for them since the mags are going to make money by highlighting the same pics & increasing their sales.

Last edited by iraghava : 26th February 2007 at 16:19.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 23:38   #30
BHPian

thanks for supporting me friends. just got mail from autocar. i am getting worth reward apart from 1 year subscription for these pics. i am really happy now.