Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Just to keep track
Yes, thank you kindly, I've got the woofers 6 13.33%
I don't know why I'm voting here, total time pass 36 80.00%
I am interested in getting suitable tweeters (pairs) as well (post 161) at under 3K per pair 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st March 2007, 00:01   #106
BHPian

hey sam wat amp is needed to make these woofers work wud a 4 channel amp do.I m still waiting for your reply do i qualify to get a pair of subs
kooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 00:07   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude View Post
hey sam wat amp is needed to make these woofers work wud a 4 channel amp do.I m still waiting for your reply do i qualify to get a pair of subs
these are 6.5 inch drivers...wouldn really need anything big to power it.a normal sony.pio amp should drive these well....

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 09:14   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1101 View Post
Has any tried to fix woofer in his bed, i mean can any one tell me how can this be done on a single half bed and how would my bed sound....
Are you going to also mount a 2 way crossover and a tweeter in your bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmoquattro View Post
and also, as an afterthought, i think i should be able to make this a wireless set of speakers for my worldspace radio (and iPOD). (still need to figure out how). The FM transmitter on the iPOD should not have any interference at home.. the receiver at the speaker's end needs to be amplified.. There will be a small power cable though.. but no audio lines whatsoever.

What say Sam?
You have one pair to build you own wireless speaker. What are you going to do for tweeters?

Quote:
Kooldude, they are not subwoofers man. They're 6.5" mid bass/woofers. Just putting them in your car, is pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
@sam:

I want the front doors to handle more bass!!

Ever since i heard the car audio system in Skoda Laura, i am in love with what they have done with all those speakers in all the doors. It feels more rounded.

Is it possible to get this on the swift, If yes please let me have them
They are large, heavier than regular car speakers and are deep. I do not think you should mount them in the swift front door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
e) well then Sam I need THREE NUMBERS... SAM??

EDIT: But shielding - can one DIY and shield the Centre speakers?
I can give you 1.5 pairs kb, but DIYing a speaker (by pressure gluing a reverse polarity magnet to it's rear) is major DIY and you may not have the time/inclination. Currently the mag field is strong and will convert your regular tube type TV into psychedelia. Say fast what you wanna do?
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 09:21   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
these are 6.5 inch drivers...wouldn really need anything big to power it.a normal sony.pio amp should drive these well....
any model numbers please.....
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 09:51   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
Rev
any model numbers please.....
how about these:

Amazon.com: Boss Audio CH150 200W 2 Channel High Power Amplifier: Electronics

Amazon.com: Boss Audio CH350 400W 4 Channel High Power Amplifier: Electronics

they are dirt cheap:
first one for $39
second one for $58.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 1st March 2007 at 09:58.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 10:18   #111
BHPian

Quote:
ok sam i would use them for mid range bass coz now there is no bass in my car so these 6.5 inch drivers would provide me atleast some bass .Yes i would also mount a two way crossover and a tweeter
Now do i get it

Last edited by kooldude : 1st March 2007 at 10:35.
Old 1st March 2007, 10:20   #112
BHPian

Thumbs up

Hey Sam Thanx Once again, Hey DIY-ers i got my pair last nite in exchange of pastries as i had promised to bring them. They Look good, will start the R&D today after reading all the post and taking notes. Just assembling other stuffs tooo....

Thanx Once again SAM!!
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 10:39   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Cost - about Rs. 20/-

Plus point: Easy to connect. Even a baboon can do it. (Use soldering iron, lol)

Minus point: A bit inaccurate, as the woofer is actually running in full range, with the capacitor acting only as a bass blocker.
Old 1st March 2007, 10:42   #114
BHPian

Quote:
ok sam i would use them for mid range bass coz now there is no bass in my car so these 6.5 inch drivers would provide me atleast some bass .Yes i would also mount a two way crossover and a tweeter
Now do i get it
Yes i will take firoze's help for doing all this
Old 1st March 2007, 10:46   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Cost: Rs. 300-500/-

@kooldude - ok come quickly and pick them up. You want 5.25" or 6.5"?

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 1st March 2007 at 10:50.
Old 1st March 2007, 10:55   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

@kooldude - ok come quickly and pick them up. You want 5.25" or 6.5"?
I want a pair of the 6.5" also where can i pick them up from I have never been to your office
Old 1st March 2007, 11:17   #117
BHPian

Wink

Hey Sam,

Wat abt my Free ka woofer...

where do i get the 3 way XO for my setup...
rareone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 11:27   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

You have one pair to build you own wireless speaker. What are you going to do for tweeters?
you answered it... The Philips dome tweeters and a small crossover.

how can i pick it up now?

i'm at Pune
desmoquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 11:35   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

@dq -I do special deliveries for pune. Pick it up on Sunday from K Park.

@kd - call firoz na and take it from him

rareone - sure, you've got a pair.

Note: Account closed for now. First we will finish current deliveries. Then check stock. No more requests for 5 days.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 1st March 2007 at 11:38.
Old 1st March 2007, 11:42   #120
Team-BHP Support

ok this is getting very mad and i am getting very serious.

The BEST way to employ these woofers would be in a 2 way home speaker wiht a box volume of say 20 liters. those who can mange to convince their better halves to accomodate a bigger box (or those that dont have better halves - you lucky dogs) can use 2 of these woofers in a box that is twice as big.

Let me cover the simple 2 way design.
a) Get a good dome tweeter from say Philips or Peerless. Choudhry Trading on Lamington road in Mumbai used to carry PI (Peerless India) and Bolton tweeeters and Ramesh Trading Corp. used to carry Philips. Now this was many moons ago today things might have changed a bit but the above give you a good starting point. Non Mumbaikars i am sorry I am not familair with Delhi, Bangy, Chennai or Calcutta or other markets. I am very familiar with the US, Canadian, Singaporean, Australian and European markets though.

b) I will try and contact Cream (a member here) and request him to measure a pair of thse woofers so that we (you) can use these T/S specs. If anyone else can help (someone with MLSSA, LEAP etc..) let me know via PM. I would have done it but many moons ago I lost my LEAP/LMS dongle and software aloing with the PC on which it was installed.

Sam can you provide me with how many tweeters (pairs) we would need. How many are willing to make a 2 way lke it should be made. maybe we can do a one time deal for a suitable tweeter as well. It wont be free but atleast we can make a tweeter available.

c) This is in the spirit of DIY. Anyone one who sells the product or specification or desings will be ostracised from the atleast the Indian Audio Community. Sam and B&T know that I am very capable of executing this threat. I am dead serious.

c) The T/S specs (once we get them) will provide you a method to design a sutiable box. My expectations of 20-25 liters per woofer are an estimate based on the JPG file Sam posted.

d) Once you guys have the requiste tweeter (Philips, Peerless or even a Bolton) and it's T/S specs (atleast an accurate Fs) we can design a XO.

For steps c) and d) I will NOT do the design. It would be spoon feeding and too easy and remember this excersie is meant for those wanting to LEARN. I will however offer advice, links, and all else (this will take more of my time and yours but I feel it is worth it).

Everyone is welcome to sign on to this adventure. For those how dont have the time, cant make the time, want a quick fix solution here are some alternates.

i) Stuff the woofer in a sealed box (20-30 liters) add any of the XOs Sam has posted above and voila a cheap and dirty speaker.

ii) these speakers are too deep to be used in most car doors. I suspect the Indica door with a 3/4" - 1" spacer might just offer enough room but not the Swift, Zen, Astra, Corsa, Hodna City, and most other cars.

iii) these speakers are most probably NOT suitable for the car enviroment (Monkey forget the saline sea enviroment - If I were you Monkey i'd get an Altec Lansing IM7 or Harmon Kardon Go+Play and use a ipod) as the heat, dust and humidty in the car (esp one closed and parked during the day) will damage the surrounds in months if not weeks.

iv) Sheilding this speaker would require a bucking magnet or a metal (pref. brass) enclosure. However the other options (for those wanting to use this speaker for HT) are to iuse a phantom center, use a non-CRT TV, or place the speaker 3-4 feet away from the CRT TV.

Yes I know I was not expecting to sign on today. I have done so only becuase this thread was going mad and wanted to add some direction here. If I was too harsh please forgive me, I am a DIYer at heart and wear that heart on my sleave.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote