| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|5th May 2006, 21:03||#181|
Join Date: Dec 2005
No particular order. But just a list of cars i think have stood out in their respective times(not compulsarily have set the sales chart ablaze)
W124 Mercedes Benz-
The last of the battletank Mercs. Had a certain charm in the way they looked.. thats missing from the new ones.. Sure the new ones are way better to look at all curvy nwth gadgets n stuff. But stil this baby gets my vote of all the mercs i've known
Though the oh so s*xy CLS might jst do me in.
Honda City 1.5/Vtec OHC
The car that defined a new performance segment. The acceleration, the sound, the works.. Loved everything about this bad boy.
Ofcourse lotsa shortcomings.. But one word "ENGINE" was enough to overcome them all..
Lets take a moment of silence mourning its demise ;-)
The only good thing is that I do have an ohc. So i can enjoy it when i like it.
Maruti Suzuki 800(original one)
Truly a relevation in the dark ages of Ambassadors n Fiats(no offence to Amby n Fiats lovers). But this was a car that indeed felt like a car.. n way better than the competitors of its time. Way outdated now.. but has a death grip on certain folks till date who swear by it. Ask EDMUND on this one!!
Fine car indeed.
Dont really know about this car.. n sadly never got to know it cos of the marketing stratergy adopted by its parent company. But this was a diesel, rode well, was reasonably cheap and Hardy.
Almost everthing anyone wud need. Wonder why it died so early???
Lotsa cars for the fifth choice
ZEN/Maruti 1000/Skoda 1.9tdi/Indica/Santro/Accord
All excellent cars, Each redefining the market in their own ways.. Alas the four previous winners were easy to pick.. Here guys, its your call.
|6th May 2006, 14:57||#182|
Join Date: Feb 2006
Skoda Octavia RS - Havent driven one , but always dream about one
Honda City Vtec(Old) - Couldnt afford one when it was available. Affordable now but sadly not available. So might go in for New VTEC in the near future.
Pajero - Love this 4WD
MB C220 CDI - Dream wheels
Swift - Love the car
|7th May 2006, 20:04||#184|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Thanked: 65 Times
I am rating Top 5 based on its achievements.
1) Standard 2000 - Marked the begining fo perfomance cars in India.
2) W124 Benz - Be it 220 or 250 its Benz at its best.
3) Ford Mondeo - True Divers car and first of its kind for our country.
4) Skoda RS - The first taste of turbo charged petrol power for India.
5) 99 Honda City - Started power race among competitors.
|7th May 2006, 22:19||#185|
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vadodara, IN
Thanked: 135 Times
1. Mercedes SL500
2. Ford mondeo - long elegant, best family class car on the planet according to autocar..a true drivers car...
3. Old honda city ( the one with clear lamps ) - it had more power than the city that replaced it...good looks....give it a spoiler and side skirts..gr8
4. Skoda Octavia RS -150 bhp in a solid, refined car...
5. Maruti Swift - not practical but gud performance.....
The old zen missed the cut, so did santro...my car!
|11th May 2006, 14:12||#186|
Join Date: Oct 2004
Thanked: 8 Times
I shall confine my opinions within the range of the budget cars that is upto Rs 6.00 lakhs. Anything beyond that out of range for a middle class person like me. Within this category the top 5 cars are(need not be in the same order):
Palio 1.6 GTX
Maruti 800 DX
The Mercs and Accords and Octavias do not appear here because you know, you cannot put ice and icecream in the same bracket.
|12th May 2006, 08:57||#187|
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pune, MH12
Thanked: 92 Times
Here's my take
1. Baleno Altura (Station wagon) - with wider rubber
2. Baleno Sedan - with wider rubber
3. Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia - Brilliant car, its only downside is the service and spares
4. Honda Accord - purely for its looks
5. Maruti Esteem - The new esteem gives immense driving pleasure... (A stock swift cant match it from this point of view)
|12th May 2006, 10:31||#188|
Join Date: May 2006
Thanked: 7 Times
What is an Indian car? Do SKD/CKDs qualify as Indian? Hopefully CBUs dont!
1. Maruti 800 - made middle class Indians mobile
2. Tata Indica - first car to be designed, built and sold by and for Indians
3. Mahindra Scorpio CRDe - Our own first real SUV
4. Tempo Trax Gurkha 4x4 - Go anywhere in India in it
5. Tata Safari - for the looks and attitude
|12th May 2006, 14:26||#189|
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: pune / Bahrain
Thanked: 5 Times
1) Esteem only
gr8 car simply performance for a small mill.
Just needs to be customised with some independent suspension rear and some upholstery with some little performance mods and this cars going to keep the driver smiling always.
btw i dont have preferences for all the options etc like on a merc etc. etc.
a simple ac / stereo / sufficiently good handling / just enough braking and a GR8 Engine is what i look for in a car.
Last edited by 2fast4u : 12th May 2006 at 14:28.
|12th May 2006, 15:24||#191|
Distinguished - BHPian
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Thanked: 1,648 Times
My top 4 based on their utility value for me would be :
1. Alto LXi - for the city (loads of traffic and limited parking space).
2. Omni - for drives with 3-5 friends and space for booze, food etc.
3. WagonR - for the high SUV-like driving experience (at low cost) combined with advantages of a small car.
4. Baleno - for the adrenalin rush and for long trips on the highway.
5. ----- Don't see any motoring void left, that would need a 5th car to fill.
And the top 5 cars which I like, but would never buy (because I don't feel the need) :
1. The current Honda Accord - awesome looks.
2. The Old Honda City - the best C segment sedan ever.
3. The Skoda Octavia - rugged looks.
4. Ford Fusion - the different kind of look.
5. Ford Endeavour - beefy, muscular looks.
Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th May 2006 at 15:27.
|13th June 2006, 08:27||#194|
Join Date: Jun 2006
Thanked: 0 Times
my list of cars
1) Honda accord ( great value for your money)
2)Honda city ( for its styling at that time and power)
3)Maruti baleno ( for its power and price and maintainence)
4)Zen ( for its relaibility and aspects of altering)
5)ford endeavour( for its size,looks and pricing)
|23rd June 2006, 16:01||#195|
Join Date: Mar 2006
My favourite 5 cars are not in any order:
1. Merc SLK convertible
2. Skoda Superb
3. Honda Accord
4. Skoda Laura
5. Honda City Gxi
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 cities of South India||Rajeevraj||The Indian Car Scene||11||7th December 2015 11:01|
|Top Gear celebrates 20th anniversary with Top 50 greatest cars of past 20 years||sarathlal||The International Automotive Scene||0||16th September 2013 05:03|
|Top Speeds of Indian Rally Cars||Tom||Indian Motorsport||28||20th March 2009 14:46|
|Top Gear 2006 Survey : Fiat zooms into top 10, Honda, Skoda top list.||amit||The International Automotive Scene||10||8th March 2007 12:31|