Senior - BHPian

Anyone got a used turbo (indian or any other brand) please contact. Reqd urgent

Thanks
Dom
Domnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2004, 03:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dom

S600BENZ should be able to help you out .. why dont u PM him?

Cheers
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2004, 12:10   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Domnic,

I dont know if this will help since you are not based in Bombay, but I saw some really cheap turbos at chorbazaar the last I went there hunting for parts. Didnt ask the make or application purpose, but they had a really wide variety of Japanese makes.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2004, 16:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO

I never knew you get turbos in Chor Bazaars . Talk bout getting everything under one roof But one really has to check how reliable they are...

Cheers
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2004, 18:25   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

at chor bazaar, i've heard u cannot 'check" if the suff works or no. even if u buy a music system u cant check if it is in working condition. Its all on luck.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2004, 18:36   #6
BHPian

GTO OR DOM
Can we install a turbo to one of our car just want to know
Team Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 13:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
Yes you can install turbos to any engine.. But lot of things should be taken to consideration. It is pretty simple and easy though once you have the things worked out.
1) tell me which car do you want to try this on.

Most important factors to be taken care are, The engines components, they should be strong enough to take the added pressures in the cylinders. You may have to lower compression Ratio for adding the boost. Few other things are fueling.
Adding turbos to carbureted cars is possible but lot of things are involved, The carburetor is a metering block which works on vaccum but when boost is added, the float will not function normally and will flood.
A few things have to be done like sealing of a few points in the carb and drilling new holes and re-routing the air. Also proper gaskets should be used for the carb. Let me know if you want to turbo your car(which is probably a carbureted).
Turbo'ing is a fascinating thing... with all the aspects taken care the results are superb!.

Happy Motoring
Dom
Old 2nd April 2004, 19:37   #8
BHPian

Hi Dom
We guys want to try it out on one of our cars it is, a 1980 fiat and how much will it cost us Because we have never tried it out on a old car so there is that doubt behind are heads because we dont want to mess up a good running car replyto us with the info pal
TF
Old 2nd April 2004, 22:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Carbureted cars are a bit tedious to mod but ill tell you the costings....

Guys i picked up a C class Turbo today (got it for 3000 Rs) . superb condition its a Garrett GT45 turbo... Costs over 20k in the US.

The main costing will be the turbo, intercooler and piping.
A used turbo should cost i think in mumbai not more than 4k
An intercooler can be made or got for 1500Rs
the piping should be ss braided, costs about 400Rs total.
Then piping for the intake should cost around 2000 Rs
and exhaust manifold should cost about 1000Rs
Downpipe around 1500 Rs.
And labour for all this is extra a bit.

But I actually am a bit weary to perform such a mod on a 1980 fiat. But am confident we can succeed. But engine reliability (service intervals and overhauls) will come pretty earlier.

Send the engine specs there are tons of other things you can go off... from things costing about 10 Rs to 1000 Rs.

Cheers
Dom
Old 2nd April 2004, 22:53   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Guys i picked up a C class Turbo today
Hey "turbo-charged" Domnic,

Where on earth did you pick up a C Class garrett for 3000!! Thats cheaper than an oil change for the C Class

More importantly, what car are you planning to install it on? The C CLass's electronics are just too darned complicated...and the parts a killer to mess around with.

GTO
Old 2nd April 2004, 23:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi GTO,
it was just luck that i got it in the bangalore gujri. I was looking for some engines when a guy came up and told me he had a turbo... (which i was in search for the past few weeks). Bro... We are installing it on a Zen. not a C Class... so its a pretty simple job. Also if i did have to put it in a C i have the complete system to reprogram and work on the ECM and have done so retroing a Mondeo recently. And had no problems.

There is one more turbo if anyone is interested. similar one but the intake lip is damaged.. but can be easily repaired for around 200 bucks. The turbo is a bigger housing from some imported car. do let me know.

Cheers
Dom
Old 3rd April 2004, 00:03   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Dom,

Is the Zen running a stock 1.0...or have you already got the 1.3 Esteem engine plonked in? What is the boost and horsepower gain expected?

I would also love to know more about the Mondeo (being that its a favorite with most t-bhpians) and if possible...pictures too

Thanks

GTO
Old 3rd April 2004, 01:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
The zen would be running a stock block, but we would be stroking the pistons for a higher cc. the reason we want to stick with the block is that in drag races here the car would go into a higher class if we use a turbo. So by sticking to the 1ltr we could enter the 1600 to 2000ltr category. as well as the indian open.

There would be a ton of work goin into the zen. We have spoken to USHA pistons India and are getting chrome pistons custom made with custom sizing. The con rods and all bearings will be customized to handle the stress. the head gasket will be changed and we would be using studs for the cylinder head.
We havent decided the exact amount of boost we would try... But according to my calculation about 12.57psi of boost is what we could optimally look for. That itself can give gains upto 160hp.

The mondeo we worked on had a complete head work done and an excellent free flow that worked wonders. Then we also had a Individual TB installed which gave a gain of about 20 hp with the other mods. After which the ecm needed calibration due to the mods and the engine had an erratic idle. The fuel map was reloaded. Maps was secured from superchips UK. a few other things were changed from things like fuel type to ignition timing tuning on the ecm. The car can clock about 15.21 secs. But the car was just made for fun and personal use and not racing. Pics i will send directly to you shortly as my friends doesnt want his car to be displayed.

Cheers
Dom
Old 3rd April 2004, 17:19   #14
BHPian

Hi Dom
got some bad news we have decided not to install a turbo but are looking out to install new free flows got some ideas ?
Hey dom this is kev I was thinking and cannot decide what colour to paint the car with my choice was silver or gloss black with frosted blue racing strips give me your opinion or a new colour man Reply ASP man???
Old 4th April 2004, 03:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Hey do you have a dyno chart of the engine. would really help for me to design a free flow... else give me the exact engine details and i will do a look up. I have ideas but you need to tune the pipes and lengths for each engine. All engines have different characteristics. So we will have to match a header to use that potential.
Hi Kev,
if you are using frosted blue stripes the silver will match it. check it out... see for yourself as its your car and you should be satisfied

Cheers
Dom