Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th March 2007, 21:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Schematic for digital fuel level indicator

hey guys, my cousin is doing an engg project on a digital fuel gauge. Basically the circuit will be interfaced to a microcontroller 8952 and the LED display will display bars based on fuel.

I needed some basic schematic for the mechanical fuel level part. Once I get a voltage out of it I can use that for designing a circuit for interfacing bit.

Basically how do you convert the fuel level to an electric signal.

Something like the civic fuel display bars type.

hope I can get some ideas. thanks guys in advance.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 21:21   #2
DRC
BHPian

Hi vid,
Just buy any fuel level sender unit, the one that goes into the fuel tank. Buy the one used in the bikes, they will be cheaper, car ones are expensive as they also house the fuel pump.

It is just a potentio meter with some mechanical arrangement. Usually, higher the fuel level, lower the resistance. You will find only 2 wires make life easier.

Need more details, PM me or call me I have nearly complete details off hand.

BTW, do you need to use the Microcontroller? If the idea is to display with bar graph, there are easier way without microcontroller.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 21:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

The thing is I dont want to make life easier. It's a project so should be a bit of a challenge.

bike idea sounds good. Karizma has digital fuel indicator?

will PM you DRC. thanks a bunch.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 21:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

so does the new Pulsar bros
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2007, 21:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

vid,

Just ask your cuz to pick up a digital fuel indicator from some gujri shop. It'll look beaten up to have been done by a student and none the wiser. The high marks that he'll pass out on can be attributed to me with a royalty cut on his monthly paychecks.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2007, 23:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey Vid,

About a month ago i was reading about fuel level sensors (cant remember why or where!) and about the DOT? standards the have to adhere to so as not to cause a spark / heat in the fuel tank..... even though it might be hard to ignite uncompressed petrol with just a spark (?), do keep that in mind!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote