Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25th March 2007, 22:02   #271
Senior - BHPian

Sachin to be skipper ? Whats wrong with people running the game in our country ? Why do they want a NON PERFORMING player to take over captaincy ? As it is Sachin is not a good captain , his record speaks for itself.

Why don't we have the guts to push out these 3 biggie non performing players and get in younger players ? I say give Kaif the captaincy. He has a good record , winning under 19 world cups , India A tours and even leading UP very sucessfully. Try him out atleast instead of going back to players well past their prime

Seems like a very well planned move to further Sachin's career by his former Mumbai team colleague and now chief selector - Dilip Vengsarkar.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 25th March 2007 at 22:12.
Old 25th March 2007, 22:16   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Sachin to be skipper ? Whats wrong with people running the game in our country ? Why do they want a NON PERFORMING player to take over captaincy ? As it is Sachin is not a good captain , his record speaks for itself.

Why don't we have the guts to push out these 3 biggie non performing players and get in younger players ? I say give Kaif the captaincy. He has a good record , winning under 19 world cups , India A tours and even leading UP very sucessfully. Try him out atleast instead of going back to players well past their prime

Seems like a very well planned move to further Sachin's career by his former Mumbai team colleague and now chief selector - Dilip Vengsarkar.
I think it same old traditional way conveying message to senior players .. please retire !!. Make them skipper so that they retire as a skipper.
Old 25th March 2007, 23:02   #273
Senior - BHPian

Reports and comments on news channels say that the team needs someone strong to lead them !! hahaha and they think Sachin commands respects fom his players. How can a NEVER PERFORMING in CRUNCH SITUATIONS player command respect from team mates ?

They respect him for his achievements. He was I repeat WAS a great batsman. These days he is mediocre. And nothing new or to be ashamed of. We all have great respect for the man as a player but it's time he himself smells the coffee before going through a situation that Kapil Dev went through.

The big 3 should retire gracefully from One Day matches. We are proud of what they did for us but now its time to go , gracefully.
Old 25th March 2007, 23:05   #274
Team-BHP Support

For the love of God, don't do that. It's time for Tendulkar to go let alone make him the captain. How much longer are our selectors going to persist with him? He's a proven failure over many years now.
Inzamam didn't think twice before calling it quits after Pakistan's loss to Ireland. I don't think any of our players has even a little bit of shame. Our media says people should be more mature and stop destroying property held by our cricketers and stop blackening their posters. You lose once and people do this kind of thing, I'd call it immaturity. You keep losing all the time, the peoples' actions seem justified. After all, our board is the wealthiest and our players are the highest paid in the world.
Old 25th March 2007, 23:10   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
For the love of God, don't do that. It's time for Tendulkar to go let alone make him the captain. How much longer are our selectors going to persist with him? He's a proven failure over many years now.
Inzamam didn't think twice before calling it quits after Pakistan's loss to Ireland. I don't think any of our players has even a little bit of shame. Our media says people should be more mature and stop destroying property held by our cricketers and stop blackening their posters. You lose once and people do this kind of thing, I'd call it immaturity. You keep losing all the time, the peoples' actions seem justified. After all, our board is the wealthiest and our players are the highest paid in the world.

While I completely agree with you that Tendulkar shouldn't be captain and neither should he be playing, but destroying peoples properties is just wrong and quite rightly immature. These people will also be the first ones to rejoice and put the players on the pedestal the next time they make a hundred. Get them fired, reduce pays etc. but to destroy their private property is wrong. Although not the same, but it can also be considered that next time hurting them will also be justifiable.
Old 25th March 2007, 23:16   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess? View Post
but destroying peoples properties is just wrong and quite rightly immature. These people will also be the first ones to rejoice and put the players on the pedestal the next time they make a hundred. Get them fired, reduce pays etc. but to destroy their private property is wrong. Although not the same, but it can also be considered that next time hurting them will also be justifiable.
I'm myself against destroying property, private or public or physically hurting anyone. The problem is, the people who should be firing / fining / reducing pays of our cricketers aren't doing what they should be doing.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th March 2007 at 23:25.
Old 26th March 2007, 07:34   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
These days he is mediocre.
You are rating him higher.
Old 26th March 2007, 08:10   #278
BHPian

Default What's up with Sachin et al

He has changed over the years, as a cricketer and more importantly as a person - his priorities...what does he want now? To play more and more and fail each time? Endorse more products? And help India lose yet again? He is well past his prime. And he has never performed well under crunch situations - he is talented that is all.. but certainly not a champion (like Viv Richards was) He should have hung up his boots two years back and given chance to another prodigy like him and there are plenty around and if not for the politics in cricket, we would have heard much more about such talent.

His priorities are in the ads nowadays and in endorsements. Biscuits, shoes, bikes, and what have you. It is ironic to see the ads roll out on TV with the Indian team down and out. Does Sachin fear loss of revenues when he is no longer playing? How much more does he want to earn? Has he gotten greedy? To me he looks like a greedy person now.

Frankly, how do you play good cricket when you become a star? IMO, these players are not focussed at all, they are there just for the sake of it, for the sake of playing. Do you think they do enough training, run hard enough... keep fit, mentally and physically. Look at that Powar guy - and his pouch..he would put my grandmother to shame. You call these folks athletes?

I am just waiting for that one-off match India is going to win next. Then you will find that obnoxious Siddhu and the ex-match fixer Jadeja and the self-upright Gavaskar proclaiming how good our heroes have played - and the fans (we) will be so happy bursting crackers - all the past sins are forgiven in a flash.

Unfortunately, as long as we have the Sharad Pawars, the Dalmias, the Kiran Mores, the Sachins, and the lot, I don't think we can see much improvement. We will find the smoking gun conveniently - Chappell - kick that white man's bu** - we rather have Gavaskar to be our coach - he can teach Dravid (or will it be Sachin again?) how to call his players off the field when a decision goes the other team's way.
Old 26th March 2007, 08:11   #279
Senior - BHPian

I feel the kinda of attitude the players are having can be very well reflected by the way they field. In the match against Sri-Lanka , did anyone notice the front dive by Murailitharan. That was some effort from a senior cricketer,in contrast apart from Yuvraj , Kaif i dont think Indians are good at fielding in other they seem more relaxed in the attempt which totally destroys the spirit of competitiveness.And yes like every one had said earlier the senior trio should retire gracefully.

Imagine if Schumacher had been like sachin , the man would have been driving till he gets a cataract

Last edited by maxbhp : 26th March 2007 at 08:15.
Old 26th March 2007, 08:22   #280
BHPian

oh ah India .. wapis aya India ..
Old 26th March 2007, 09:04   #281
Team-BHP Support

Virgin cant sponsor the Indian team.............because they keep getting f****d.
Old 26th March 2007, 09:33   #282
BHPian

I think The Master should retire, but in a Graceful style...He should play till the next world cup which is to be held in India..! He should retire on his Home soil, tribute to the All the Indians across generations who have loved him, Abused him..Belived in Him, Disappointed in Him..!

The Team on the whole needs an extensive rework- No Ads, New Coach ( Bye Bye Chappal ),More training and games on Home Pitches specially when the next cup is on Home Soil.
Old 26th March 2007, 11:48   #283
Senior - BHPian

It's a very poor proposal to make Sachin lead the team. If Sachin is a true cricketer, he should not accepting the same.

Let some young guy lead the team & have ganguly, sachin & shewag in the team. Give them a tough task of 50+ average in every series with strike rate of minimum 75%. If they fail to achieve even in one of the series, they should resign on their own. One who survive this task will be in till he performs such a way
Old 26th March 2007, 11:59   #284
Senior - BHPian

Jadeja had a very interesting suggestion - give Ganguly a contract for 12 months (only 12, no more) as Captain & give him a mission - mould the team back into a fighting unit as he had earlier and also groom his successor who would take over at the end of the 12 months.

Sounded good to me.
Old 26th March 2007, 12:09   #285
BHPian

Ganguly has the qualities to lead India and put some spirit back.
Closed Thread