0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26th March 2007, 17:10   #301
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sumit, well said and would just like to add a couple of more reasons why Dravid should be sacked -

1) For his unimaginative field placements throughout, more so when the Lankan middle order were batting & taking a run a ball....
2) For persisting with Sachin for two extra overs when he should have brought Agarkar back......
3) Oops, that makes it three instead of a couple but - for bringing Munaf back instead of Agarkar.

Did we see a SINGLE revolutionary/challenging/striking/bold decision from Dravid anywhere in this World Cup I wonder?
The points you make are all judgement calls which could have gone either way. You can criticize Dravid for opting to field first when Indians have known to be lily-livered while chasing even moderate targets in important matches. But really, you can hardly blame Dravid when 3 of his 4 senior and most experienced batsmen either fail or score at snail's pace in every game. When Ganguly was captain, he had the benefit of wonderful performances from Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman; Ganguly himself was not too bad either. THAT is what is missing from this team, and needs to be addressed.

I say retain Dravid as captain; let us not go back to "Dadagiri". Dravid will find the runs again, he is good enough. Drop Tendulkar and Sehwag from both Test and one-day teams. Actually Tendulkar and Sehwag can bowl usefully too in one-day matches, which makes this a difficult decision. Tendulkar's runs have clearly dried up and Sehwag comes good with the bat about once in 4 games. Regarding Ganguly, I say retain him in the Test team (as long as he keeps performing, as in SA), but drop him from the one-day side. He just didn't score fast enough even against Bangladesh and Bermuda, and flopped against the one strong team, Sri Lanka. Anyway his best days as one-day batsman are over.

We need to find some good replacements, and one of these is definitely Kaif, who could be vice-captain. Need a good batsman and an all-rounder, for the other two spots. I would definitely back Irfan Pathan for the all-rounder's spot. He has lost a little of his confidence, but he has great potential and needs to be backed. Don't know who the other batsman will be; consider some promising youngsters with a sound technique who could also potentially replace Uthappa (who seems to have a weakness against pace on responsive pitches).
Old 26th March 2007, 17:21   #302
Senior - BHPian

I dont know if anybody watched the last edition of the challenger series[domestic cricket],the standout player of that tournament for that series for his leadership skills was Venugopal Rao,whereas Mohammad Kaif was completely unimaginative and clueless with regards to what he was doing in terms of captaincy of his team.Rao looked a natural leader whereas Kaif was a misfit.

Venugopal Rao was termed as the one to watch out for in the future as the next captain.

But even virender sehwag[unless there are plans to drop him] would make a good captain is what I feel.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 26th March 2007 at 17:32.
Old 26th March 2007, 17:22   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
The points you make are all judgement calls which could have gone either way. You can criticize Dravid for opting to field first when Indians have known to be lily-livered while chasing even moderate targets in important matches. But really, you can hardly blame Dravid when 3 of his 4 senior and most experienced batsmen either fail or score at snail's pace in every game.
RKS, lets not be hypothetical - I'm criticizing Dravid for some DEFINITE VISIBLE unfathomable decisions. Please don't start off a hypothetical discussion about which way it "COULD" have gone, lets talk about which way it went, let me know if you data that refutes what I've said...........

Also, don't forget that Dravid himself is one of the senior batsmen who've failed

Last edited by suman : 26th March 2007 at 17:26.
Old 27th March 2007, 02:15   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
the standout player of that tournament for that series for his leadership skills was Venugopal Rao,whereas Mohammad Kaif was completely unimaginative and clueless with regards to what he was doing in terms of captaincy of his team.Rao looked a natural leader whereas Kaif was a misfit.
I take this as a joke Rahul. Nothing personal. But Venugopal can't bat to save his life. He bats slower than what Ganguly did against Bermuda. And whatever innings he as scored it was to save his place. I remember a slow 50 odd from him when we needed to go hammer and tongs ,and we ended up loosing. As for his leadership qualities , I can say (I saw the series) he was looking lost. Agreed he won but that does not make him a good captain.
Old 27th March 2007, 09:49   #305
Senior - BHPian

BCCI blames Cup format for India, Pak exit

As if Pakistan didn't know that after having lost to WI, losing to Ireland would eliminate them. And India didn't know that they have to win 2 matches to get into next round and Bangadesh & Bermuda are relatively easy compared to defeating SL.

That apart, instead of blaming the format (after losing), BCCI should set its team in order. BCCI's India XI, can't deny the reality that its players are not energetic, they are unfit, unenthusiastic and lack commitment & grit. Imagine, 143 deliveries in 50 overs against Bermuda were dots. The remaining deliveries produced 413 ! Indians like to stand & deliver. This doesn't work on pitches where you have to do some hard-work for the runs and Indians miserably fail here. Chappel wanted Indians to take more singles, but they didn't or couldn't.

Some suggestions:
* make top players compulsorily play domestic cricket (atleast some fixed no. of matches per season).
* conduct strict fitness tests before selection.
* emphasis performance and don't rely on seniority alone.

Dravid's quote (about team for WC):
"yes, fielding is an issue, but we can do 'smart fielding' and perform that bit extra with the bat and ball"

Neither could they do 'smart fielding' nor they performed with bat & ball.

Last edited by msdivy : 27th March 2007 at 09:50.
Old 27th March 2007, 09:56   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Neither could they do 'smart fielding' nor they performed with bat & ball.
in short they can do nothing ..

They can party midnight, smoke and drink. They can go for *bird watching* during the games.
At last they can cry in bathroom after the loss and put this news in media. huh !
Old 27th March 2007, 11:36   #307
Senior - BHPian

But i do beleive the format is not right. I mean, you cannot have 2 top sides eliminated after playing just 1 good match. Now there are 2 minnows in the super 8s & they are going to be slaughtered & it does not do for good cricket. There are going to be 12 matches that will be unwatchable out of the 24 games in the Super 8. That makes this the most boring World Cup for me.
Old 27th March 2007, 11:51   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
But i do beleive the format is not right.
BCCI think-tank should have complained about the format when it was published. The problem is everybody assumed Pakistan would definetly beat Ireland & Zimbabwe. Likewise India would beat Bermuda & Bangaldesh.
They felt atleast in WC, the guys would be serious enough not lose important fixtures. Alas, they did it. BCCI had agreed to the format.
Quote:
Now there are 2 minnows in the super 8s & they are going to be slaughtered & it does not do for good cricket.
The idea was Top 8 (Aus, SA, Pak, Eng, SL, Ind, NZ & WI) would battle it out in Super 8. It has back-fired due to insipid approach by India & Pakistan teams.
C'mon, if its do or die match, can't any of the 8 teams beat Ireland? Again, if its do or die, can't any of the 7 teams above beat SL?
The fact is neither teams show grit & determination to battle it out. If they can't do in preliminary rounds, what will they do in Super8, Semis & Final?
If I am correct, India won straight 7 matches in last WC. Why is that attitude missing now?
Old 27th March 2007, 11:58   #309
BHPian

Quote:
BCCI think-tank should have complained about the format when it was published. The problem is everybody assumed Pakistan would definetly beat Ireland & Zimbabwe. Likewise India would beat Bermuda & Bangaldesh.
They felt atleast in WC, the guys would be serious enough not lose important fixtures. Alas, they did it. BCCI had agreed to the format.

The idea was Top 8 (Aus, SA, Pak, Eng, SL, Ind, NZ & WI) would battle it out in Super 8. It has back-fired due to insipid approach by India & Pakistan teams.
C'mon, if its do or die match, can't any of the 8 teams beat Ireland? Again, if its do or die, can't any of the 7 teams above beat SL?
The fact is neither teams show grit & determination to battle it out. If they can't do in preliminary rounds, what will they do in Super8, Semis & Final?
If I am correct, India won straight 7 matches in last WC. Why is that attitude missing now?
I agree, if you cannot beat the sides like Ireland and Bangladesh. You don't deserve a place in super8. Infact next they should play qualifying matches for entry into WC2011 (to be held in subcontinent).
Old 27th March 2007, 12:00   #310
BHPian

The Super Eight: How the format works

Article :
The Super Eight: How the format works
Old 27th March 2007, 12:03   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Infact next they should play qualifying matches for entry into WC2011 (to be held in subcontinent).
Entry is assured as host country !!
Old 27th March 2007, 12:07   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Entry is assured as host country !!
but they(ind/pak) should be made to qualify and justify for not being called *minnows*
Old 27th March 2007, 12:18   #313
Senior - BHPian

Still, i feel the that this world cup is one helluva boring tournament mixed with a major murder yet to be resolved. All in all, better to be quick & done with. I am not lamenting India's loss. I felt bad when pakis lost out. How can a team like ireland & bangladesh provide any sort of competitiveness in the super 8s ? there is going to be 12 BORING WORLD CUP CRICKET MATCHES in the super 8s & that means the spark is gone from this World Cup, not to mention the revenue loss.
Old 27th March 2007, 12:21   #314
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

For what it is worth , dravid ought to be replaced with saurav as the captain .. What india need is an agressive captain to lead the side .. And no one did it better than saurav himself .. Or else i cant see a single player in the playing 11 who could be as menacing on the field as ganguly .. He had that attitude in him and the rest of the team carried it too ..

Also Pathan ought to be groomed now to take up the all rounders slot .. Wonder whatever happened to Balaji ?? He was good at the death with those late inswinging yorkers ..

I hope people do understand that with the amount of cricket being played off lately its not quite surprising to see abysmal performances from time to time .. Infact FORM is something that no one can help .. On the given day , your feet move right , the bat flows smoothly , hand eye co-ordination is bang on .. This could happen to best of best .. Give them a break , their form wont improve just by flaming them if people havent realised .. One could have scored 5 centuries back to back but on the 6th game might find that his feet arent moving well , timing is not right ..This is the unpredictability in the game .. This is what makes good matches .. Or else on paper india can never beat aussies , its that one bad performance by a certain big player that changes the equation ..

In any game upsets happen , i once again feel that most of us here are being overhyped about india not reaching the super 8's .. On another day the very same team could go out and beat the WC champions fair and square .. Its about the right time , the right perfomance .. See the match , enjoy the fun and forget about it .. Cribbing or suggestions here wont make or break someones career nor will bring about changes in the composition of the team .. At the end of it , its the selectors choice asto what the composition ought to be like .. All it does is arguments here tend to ruin the harmony between members ..

One must also realize that loosing means lesser pay for the team , and the subsequent consequences .. Dont you think what they would be going through right now ?? A good sport is one that pats you on the back when you are lying low not back stab you when you aint looking .. Which seems to be the case here with a few members and a majority of the fan following across the country ..
Old 27th March 2007, 12:23   #315
BHPian

Todays match Aus vs WI... my heart says WI but my mind says Aus.

thats is what this thread is about. Who are you supporting ?
Closed Thread