Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21st April 2007, 06:45   #511
BHPian

There is no doubt that Aus are way ahead of other teams but I expected a lot from Nz.
Old 21st April 2007, 07:48   #512
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the only way the Aussies are going to lose is if they have a really bad day.
As far as teams are concerned, they are head and shoulders above the rest.
Old 21st April 2007, 12:13   #513
Senior - BHPian

There is only team which is capable of beating australia at the moment,and that is Sri Lanka.Their bowling line-up is the best in the world.Even australia are worried about that and wanted to measure themselves against that attack before the world-cup final/semi final.The west Indies pitches suit SL,as it is quite similar to back home ones.

However SL resting their star bowlers[and thereby annoying australia] before the semi-finals is a brilliant tactical move.Malinga's injury [fake or real] enabling him to play only from the semi-finals another thing in their favour.Also Jayawardene is a very shrewd captain and their coach and support staff too real good[just hurts that Indian cricket overlooked these guys for Chappell and co.].

Somehow I have a feeling Sri lanka may just make it all the way this time.
Old 21st April 2007, 13:06   #514
Senior - BHPian

Well , I know that SL has a better attack in terms of variety compared to the Aussies. But the problem is that the Aussies are thorough bred professionals - each member knows exactly what is to be done and how it is to be done and they do it ruthlessly. That is the most important factor I feel.

Also SL not playing its 3 main strike bowlers against the Aussies MIGHT JUST backfire on them.

I also do not want the Aussies to win this time but looking at the way this WC has progressed , I think NOTHING is stopping the Aussies from a Hattrick unless they have a pathetic day.
Old 21st April 2007, 14:04   #515
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
, unless they have a pathetic day.
And they SHALL ...
Old 21st April 2007, 14:10   #516
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Also Fleming was incorrectly given out, if he was around for 15-20 overs, things would have been different.
From where did ICC pick those Paki umpires?
It is difficult for any umpire to get such decisions right all the time. What I find amazing is the reluctance of the ICC to use the available technology to help the umpire make these decisions. It is ridiculous that match after match is ruined by bad decisions and the whole world knows that via the available technology. Obiously the ICC is interested in protecting the turf of the umpires, which is probably lucrative for ex-players, rather than worry about the interest of the game.
Quote:
Anyway, hope NZ will bounce back in Semis and Final and win their first World Cup!
My hunch is that Hayden and/or Ponting will fail in the semi-final or final. It happens frequently that a team which wins all the preliminary rounds suddenly runs out of steam at the end. At the moment the top order is firing and that seems to make the Aussies invincible. It just takes some luck with the toss for the opposition (SL, NZ, SA) and a responsive pitch for that to change.

The Aussies seem to have a long tail (Hogg, Bracken, Tait, McGrath) and on a given day if some of their top players are knocked over, they would be in trouble. Earlier the Aussies could rely on Brett Lee and Shane Warne in the tail who were quite capable with the bat too.

Last edited by rks : 21st April 2007 at 14:12.
Old 21st April 2007, 17:09   #517
BHPian

and the Bond factor was missing from Nz attack. A couple of early wickets would have changed the complexion of the game ( may be )
Old 21st April 2007, 17:52   #518
Senior - BHPian

If at all Aussies being tested, it has to happen only during the Semi Finals against SA. If they were through to finals, whichever team SL or NZ, will beaten ruthlessly. I guess NZ will be beated by SL during Semi-Finals before they get humilated at the hands of aussies.

As rks pointed out quick wickets will halt Aussies progress in huge run making, may be a stage where 3 wickets down for 30 runs with Hayden, Gilli and Ponting back to pavillon. Clarke, Hussey, Symonds, Watson, Hodge will surely build the innings to respectable/defendable target.

Aussies bowlers shine very well as they had less pressure due to dominace of their batsmens against the opposition. Once they were given tight target to defend, I hope expect Mcgrath/Hogg and Bracken others will face problems with their line and length.

But, aussies, 3 quick wickets/lower score/innings building at lower run rate...... hahaha hah hahahha
Old 22nd April 2007, 13:51   #519
Senior - BHPian

Just checked the england vs west indies result and I was shocked,eng beat WI considering they required 86 of the last ten with 4 wickets in hand and only Kevin peterson at the crease with the tail.Truly a very un-england like performence.

However this brings into focus one aspect of the game brought forward by ricky pointing, cricket has become a game of the hulks.Want to do well go the gym.Fitness has become everything in cricket.This is primarily the reason why India is doing badly and would do so because just like hockey, talent is no longer the sole criteria.We need humanoids on the field nowadays.
Old 23rd April 2007, 20:29   #520
Senior - BHPian

First semi-final begins tommorow between NZ and SL. My guess is that SL will emerge as winners, provided Bond does not demolish SL with his pace and swing. Srilankans bowling attack is very good & if they put a decent total, Iam sure they will defend NZ.

But it all boils down to that particular day.

The second semi final would be more interesting. If at all Aussies were to be eliminated from this tournament, it has to happen in Semi finals (though the chances are very less)
Old 24th April 2007, 17:26   #521
BHPian

Semis on the way .. where is your money guys. Nz for me.
Old 24th April 2007, 17:46   #522
Senior - BHPian

Heart NZ, Head says SL. Lets see. Go Indiaaaaaaa!!!! LOL
Old 24th April 2007, 18:10   #523
BHPian

semis is all about nerves, confidence and mindset. I guess Nz looks stronger than SL. Morever Murli is crucial. If Nz play well against him and does not loose wickets then its going to be great fight. And Mr. Bond will be back.
Old 25th April 2007, 10:33   #524
Senior - BHPian

SL emerged as winners in their semifinal match against NZ. JAYAWARDENE played excellent cricket and the highlight of his inning was pushing his strike rate drastically at the end. Inspite of wrong umpiring decision for two at crucial time, SL posted wonderful total. The moment they crossed 250+, the match is for SriLanka.

SA vs AUS. Aussies has the edge. Would be interesting if the match was taken closely
Old 25th April 2007, 10:48   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Heart NZ, Head says SL. Lets see. Go Indiaaaaaaa!!!! LOL
Head > Heart in this case. But yeah, SL will see many of its stalwarts retiring soon. So go lanka. Try and lift the WC.
Closed Thread