Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th March 2007, 12:49   #1
HKP
BHPian

Default Marathahalli bridge to open Finally!!

This should bring a sigh of relief to all those bangaloreans who commute to Whitefield and nearby places from Airport road.

The first half of the bridge (2 lane) is getting opened for traffic tomorrow, Friday 30th March. It seems the other half with will be worked on after that and finally it will become a 4 lane road.

I have been seeing the construction everyday, and I must say that they did a good job by completing it in reasonable time.

Lets hope for a smooth ride...
HKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 13:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Expect another public utility company to start digging the road - flyover even up from Monday for laying cables and water pipes
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 13:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey - how do you expect any civic body to work on something that is not built yet? They too can start their work only after the thing is ready, right ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 13:56   #4
BHPian

Every where they started digging the road for laying cables and water pipes. Hope they finish it in less time to avoid traffic.
Chetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 14:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Completed on time??
It was supposed to be completed early this year, or end of last year going by the board they have put up.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 14:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Now that is a surprise! I travelled on that bridge last night to drop someone to the airport, and it looked far from completion!!!! I hope that intheir haste to inaugurate the bridge, tehy dont compromise on user safety!!
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 14:22   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hey - how do you expect any civic body to work on something that is not built yet? They too can start their work only after the thing is ready, right ?
Good Point. Now how did I not think abt that?
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 14:26   #8
HKP
BHPian

Default 2 lanes are complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Now that is a surprise! I travelled on that bridge last night to drop someone to the airport, and it looked far from completion!!!! I hope that intheir haste to inaugurate the bridge, tehy dont compromise on user safety!!
If you have observed closely, the 2 lane bridge is complete with approach roads. The old road which we use now will also be raised and a bridge will come up there to join the current one to make it 4 lane.

Getting a railway overbridge done requires coordination and permission from Railways also. So if you consider all the hassles including the replacement of pre-historic overhead electric lines (Sure it caused some nuisance while digging, but for good) which was existing earlier then this is a good work indeed in Bangalore standards.
HKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 16:54   #9
BHPian

Guys, dont be too happy; from what I read - the Marathahalli bridge AND the Ram-murthy nagar underpass are scheduled to be inaugurated tomorrow by CM HDK. Knowing his punctuality (or lack of it), please dont expect to use the new bridge or underpass at all tomorrow. They will probably block access to the road for a better part of the day tomorrow - for security needs, ofcourse. I plan to come in to work early and leave late tomorrow to avoid the hoopla and inconvenience.

The older portion of the Marathahalli bridge is scheduled to be demolished and re-built so it will probably be another year before the 6 lane (not 4) is ready. From a 2 lane (formerly) to a 3 lane road (new bridge), will be a welcome change.

i must say, though, that the ram-murthy nagar underpass was scheduled to be ready by March/April 2007 and if it is indeed inaugurated tomorrow, then it will be a timely completion and someone deserves kudos for that. I dont know who - perhaps the CM? Considering that the airport road flyover is still to be completed 5 years later, this is a good example of work being done on time.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 12:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

As Wheeliej said... i happened to get stuck in that damned mess of a jam, but was more fortunate than the people who were commuting between Kundanahalli/Brookfields towards Marathalli. The big shots were late, as expected (even past 0945), and the cops were having a hard time controlling the traffic. At the other end of the flyover, cops were seen explaining the situation to hapless motorists who had to wait till the big guys came. Imagine the plight of the 2 wheeler riders who didnt even have a roof/shade to wait beneath. Traffic was piled up all the way from the fyover till the new Cosmos Mall in Brookfields.
Old 30th March 2007, 13:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

A highway to halli? That place used to be okay when I used to commute from HAL III stage to ITPL. But it has been aeons ago and I really wonder what has happened since then. Guys do you have any photographs?
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 13:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
A highway to halli? That place used to be okay when I used to commute from HAL III stage to ITPL. But it has been aeons ago and I really wonder what has happened since then. Guys do you have any photographs?
TONegative : As u said... ages ago...Now, you should see the amount of traffic that uses that route. Mornings towards ITPL, and evenings opposite direction. The bridge is/was one major bottleneck.

Shall try and get some pics sometime..
Old 30th March 2007, 14:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
Guys, dont be too happy; from what I read - the Marathahalli bridge AND the Ram-murthy nagar underpass are scheduled to be inaugurated tomorrow by CM HDK. Knowing his punctuality (or lack of it), please dont expect to use the new bridge or underpass at all tomorrow. They will probably block access to the road for a better part of the day tomorrow - for security needs, ofcourse. I plan to come in to work early and leave late tomorrow to avoid the hoopla and inconvenience.

The older portion of the Marathahalli bridge is scheduled to be demolished and re-built so it will probably be another year before the 6 lane (not 4) is ready. From a 2 lane (formerly) to a 3 lane road (new bridge), will be a welcome change.

i must say, though, that the ram-murthy nagar underpass was scheduled to be ready by March/April 2007 and if it is indeed inaugurated tomorrow, then it will be a timely completion and someone deserves kudos for that. I dont know who - perhaps the CM? Considering that the airport road flyover is still to be completed 5 years later, this is a good example of work being done on time.

Tha Rammurthy nagar underpass was to be completed by April 2007..What is being inaugurated now is only one half of the road..a 2 lane...The work on the remaining part would be taken up after this inaguration.
werfish is offline   Reply With Quote