Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd April 2007, 10:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Driving in Mumbai !!!!

Hello all,

Driving in Mumbai city is a real tough job. Was wondering what can make things simpler and better for us drivers / riders.
1) Pune has started a new BTR system in which there are two lanes dedicated only for the New HIgh Speed Buses.

2) London has started charging Special taxes if you want to drive in an Congested area. . .

Similarly what can we do to make life simpler for us ????

1) taking the hawkers of the road.

2) how about an special training session for Rickshaw driver where in we train them how do drive without killing some one every day ????
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 10:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont think much can be done about the traffic in any city.

the idea of a congestion charge wont discourage drivers from driving in the crowded area but will just make it more expensive for them. Its not like people go for a joyride in the congested areas, they work there and hence have no choice but to enter these areas

you cant have a bus lane in the middle of a city like Mumbai. Just think of the chaos it will cause at all the crossings not to mention really slow the traffic down in the other lanes. Besides I dont think Mumbai really follows a lane system except for maybe Marine Drive.

Taking Hawkers off the road is a good idea. With malls spreading most of the shopping centres are moving into a designated area as opposed to just being on the road. However taking hawkers off the road is easier said than done.

Although the traffic in Mumbai is a lot more orderly as compared to many other cities in India, we still need to learn a lot. Not just rikshaws but almost all vehicles disobey many of the rules including private vehicles

IMO the only thing that will ease some of the congestion is the development of commercial areas like BKC which are more equiped to handle traffic and will help spread the load of traffic all over Mumbai

Last edited by Rtech : 2nd April 2007 at 11:45. Reason: No need to quote entire posts in your reply.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. Bombay city has great wide arterial roads
2. Unfortunately, half the city lives on the roads
3. Shopkeepers illegally extend their shops
4. Hawkers sit on the roads
5. Pedestrians do not recognise footpaths wherever they exist
6. Bus stops spill into the road, buses stop 1.5 lanes out

Congestion tax will be a tool to add to Government's coffers, they are already looting this city, one more device, these problems are created by politician-mafia in the first place - such as illegal buildings, squatters, etc.

We are lucky that this city has lesser number of 2-wheelers than other cities.

It was also a far-sighted decision to ban autorickshaws south of Mahim/Sion.

Lane discipline is way ahead of all other cities.

The city's rail station-centricity has created pockets of heavy congestion since most of the roads radiating out of stations are narrow and crowded with shops, both on the pavement and outside, besides having inefficient passenger walkway systems. Each rail station should have passenger walkways to discharge people as far away from station as possible so that the traffic of autos and other vehicle sin the immediate viciinity of the stion can be reduced.

Dedicated bus corridors are not new to Bombay, they are already in operation in 2-3 roads (such as D N Road), the plan has miserably failed. Rapid Transit bus transport is not a solution, merely a project idea for foreign firms to make money (and our babus to make foreign tours) - the existing bus fleets should be streamlined and driver discipline enforced rigorously.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:44   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Hello all,

Driving in Mumbai city is a real tough job. Was wondering what can make things simpler and better for us drivers / riders.
1) Pune has started a new BTR system in which there are two lanes dedicated only for the New HIgh Speed Buses.
And trust me you do not want BRT in Bombay! It is a pathetic way of handling public transport.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 12:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
And trust me you do not want BRT in Bombay! It is a pathetic way of handling public transport.
The BEST buses of Bombay are already too fast and reckless.

But looking beyond BEST buses, there is a need to regulate the large number of private buses that run in Bombay - mainly transporting company employees, mainly to the Andheri East/SEEPZ region and Thane-Belapur region. These buses are driven recklessly - too fast and without any rules - and unless corporate sthemselves (although they do not own the bueses) take up reponsibility for regulating them, he private buses will be a bigger menace than the BEST buses.

Instead of talking about high speed BRT busways, the existing fleets should be fitted with speed governors and drivers ruthlessly punished/ penalised for acts of rash driving. As it stands now, police ignore the BEST buses totally (since they are also government employees) and BEST buses irreverently break lanes, signals, stop indiscriminately and otherwise are driven in an indisciplined manner. In case you were not aware, BEST ha sthe highest number of legal cases against it, many of them tahnks to bus accidents.
Old 2nd April 2007, 12:51   #6
BHPian

IMO the only thing that will ease some of the congestion is the development of commercial areas like BKC which are more equiped to handle traffic and will help spread the load of traffic all over Mumbai[/quote]

I agree more such areas need to be developed.

Also infrastructure projects need to be implemented within the given time period, have not seen a single project completed in time till now eg the Bandra - Worli sea link. What is going to happen at worli after this is complete as the worli - nariman point sea link has not even started.
nik1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 13:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
there is a need to regulate the large number of private buses that run in Bombay
Controlling the number of private buses will be a step backwards i.e. discouraging public transport which will just make the situation worse. Fitting them with speed governers wont help either. A driver in my school was telling me about the speed governers that need to be fitted on all school buses in Delhi for them to pass some test. These governers are only fitted when the vehicle goes for the test and are taken off after that. According to the driver the 50kmph speed limit isnt practical
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 13:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Controlling the number of private buses will be a step backwards i.e. discouraging public transport which will just make the situation worse. Fitting them with speed governers wont help either. A driver in my school was telling me about the speed governers that need to be fitted on all school buses in Delhi for them to pass some test. These governers are only fitted when the vehicle goes for the test and are taken off after that. According to the driver the 50kmph speed limit isnt practical

I agree that private buses are doing a great job of transporting commuters in Bombay - I am not saying that their numbers have to be cut down, just that their driving needs to be regulated, their indiscipline unpunished and companies who hire them also insist on them following good practices relating to driving speeds, maintenance, etc.
Old 2nd April 2007, 16:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Driving in Mumbai is a problem? Try driving elsewhere.

If we are looking for a solution, then that of taking the hawkers and landgrabbers off the roadside seems to be the only viable option.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 16:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

The main problems on Mumbai roads are:

1. Taxi's & Autos. Reduce their numbers and instil some basic road sense in these guys and traffic would move upto 50% faster, and be a whole lot safer.

2. Hawkers. They have no right taking over the streets OR the pavements. Deal with this problem and you can partly solve point #3 as well.

3. Pedestrians. Get some sense into them. At times, due to the hawker problem they have no choice. However, it now seems to be a habit. I regularly see entire groups of people casually walking in one lane of the main road even when the pavement is nicely paved and free of hawkers. These people need to be fined just as a driver driving on the pavement would!

4. Jaywalkers. These are the worst, as they cause accidents! People in India feel it's their right to cross whenever and wherever they like. They jump out of the centre divider on blind corners, they scramble over the 3 foot high divider even when there is a 100 crore subway built or them to safely get across. They feel the pedestrian signal is only for show, and love to walk right upto the car/bike in their bid to cross, oblivious to the fact that they are leaving zero margin of error for the driver incase he suffers a sudden blowout etc. If this happens, the only thing we will read in the papers is "Speeding car/bike kills innocent walker".

Sadly, the taxi's/auto's have huge unions, so no chance of that problem getting solved. Nobody dare fine/accuse the poor innocent pedestrian of creating problems, as the guy behind the wheel of the used car he bought after years of working is obviously a super rich spoilt kid who deserves to be shot. The politicians won't dare take the hawkers off the roads either.

So in essence, we are doomed.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:09   #11
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
The main problems on Mumbai roads are:

1. Taxi's & Autos. Reduce their numbers and instil some basic road sense in these guys and traffic would move upto 50% faster, and be a whole lot safer.
I agree. Did anybody ever notice the *extremely* large number of taxis that seem to plague the roads of certain areas in Mumbai? E.g. Sion, Matunga. I cannot reverse into a parking spot on the road next to my flat in Sion area without waiting for at least 5-6 taxis to pass. To turn from that (narrow) road into a (narrow) parallel road, I often have to wait for 8-10 taxis to pass. I know these taxis are useful for those without vehicles, but it seems their numbers need to be trimmed a little in order to reduce congestion.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:20   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sadly, the States only solution will be more flyovers. When on earth will they give the country's financial capital with the infrastructure it deserves?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sadly, the States only solution will be more flyovers. When on earth will they give the country's financial capital with the infrastructure it deserves?
You forget that they are also talking of a congestion tax - one more tool to save a bankrupt government. South Mumbai is one of the most pleasant places to drive around in (like Nariman Point, Backbay, Fort, etc) and there are moves to tax all cars that come into this area on the pretext that these are congested areas!!! Just because it is a business district and lot of rich people with big cars live there, who won't mind paying! Why not tax the areas in and around railway station so that more people use public transport (like buses, not autos) to reach the stations, or simply walk the last 100-200 metres? Or build walkways (with moving platforms) that evacuate people who are moving to and fro the railway station?
Old 2nd April 2007, 20:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Why not tax the areas in and around railway station so that more people use public transport (like buses, not autos) to reach the stations, or simply walk the last 100-200 metres?
Thats true, but then what about the traffic hawaldars around rly. stn. areas...they wont they suffer....???

Yes, the scenario is worsening every passing day. Initially steps should be taken to improve the driving habits of taxi, rickshaw and BEST bus drivers, followed by other road users. Its the way the public transport drivers drive, which causes mayhem, rather than the number of public transport vehicles on the road.

The list is endless .....sadly.
autozealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 11:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

another thing. . just occured to me.

1) Car pools: whenever i am coming back from office (from worli to andheri) every car i see . . and i MEAN EVERY CAR has ONLY 1 occupant in it. (drivers being exceptions).
Wonder when our bosses will let go off their egos and start travelling in car pools.

p.s: no offences to anyone who is driving alone to work.

Maybe that will help congestion a bit.
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote