Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th July 2004, 19:47   #1
BHPian

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a well maintained Honda City VTEC.

Year: 2000 and above: Sep 2002 and above preferable
Colour: Black preferable but other colours are also welcome.
Budget: 4.0 to 5.25 lakhs depending on vehicle condition.

Any fellow petro-heads who are willing to sell their VTECs kindly PM me or please reply to this thread. Please try to provide the vehicle details including odo reading, Year of Manufacture and expected price.

Any leads and suggestions are also welcome.

Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2004, 00:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

You'll find that most of us love our Vtecs that we'll be buried in them
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2004, 01:07   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey DV,

So we have yet another Team-BHP Vtec convert, eh? Join the club.

A couple of things to keep in mind when buying a Vtec. One - They arent available in plentiful, and you will have to search really really hard to zero in on your final choice. The best place to look is at Honda Authorised dealers but beware of scrupulous business ethics and shady dealings even in certified cars. Case in point is my Ichibaan Honda experience.

Another note worthy of mention is the difference between Vtecs made before September 2002 and after. The earlier models had an ECM that made their engines jerky in bumper to bumper traffic. At high rpms, there is also a considerable amount of knocking. Vtecs made after September 2002 had this issue sorted out.

Most Vtecs are serviced at the company outlets itself, and you must source a copy of the entire maintenance history. Its also a good idea to call the insurance company up and check for any accidental claims.

All the best with Vtec hunting - You are going to enjoy it. If you need any help, just drop a PM.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2004, 11:37   #4
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the welcome and your valuable inputs.

I was stung by the VTEC bug ever since I rode one...But couldnt manage enough cash to buy a new one before SEIL pulled the plug off this fantastic car :-( So I'm here on the prowl for a decent second hand one.

I should thank all the fellow petrol heads for this fantastic forum. My knowledge about the VTEC has improved manyfold after going through various topics here and I'm looking forward towards a sensible buy

Old 5th July 2004, 13:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Suggest you wait till the Civic is released - then there maybe a lot of VTecs offered in exchange - just a possibility. Make sure the Vtec has had regualrly oil changes by the dealer - this is crucial as the oil required is specific
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2004, 15:53   #6
BHPian

GTO,

Your tips on Buying a secondhand car were very useful , never really thought on those lines.Thanks.

REgds
kakx
kakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2004, 21:36   #7
BHPian

Do we have any release dates on the Civic yet??? I guess it is going to take atleast 3 more months...:(
Old 12th July 2004, 13:22   #8
BHPian

I came across a few VTECS in the second hand dealer market...I was not completely happy with most of them, but there is one which looks okay!!!

How much would you pay for a VTEC which is 2002 June and has done 40,000 kms on the odo ??

The car rides well and the external condition is okay!!!

The dealer may be willing to settle for 6 lakhs as last price, but I think it is a little too much for the car without any extra accessories.. what do you guys think about the deal ??
Old 12th July 2004, 13:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Id' pay anywhere between 5.75 and 6 lakhs. Maybe even 6.3!!

Ask for all the service info, make sure the car hasn't been serviced by anyone who is not authorised by Honda.

Drive the car, check for allignment and wheel balancing probs, if there are any, ask the owner to set it right before you buy it. The brake might have worn out a lot by now (if they haven't been replaced), check that too.

Drive the car on broken roads and see if the suspenssion is in good shape.

Regards...
Shan2nu

Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2004, 14:51   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

40000kms and a service only at authorised stations would fetch a 2002 Vtec 5.75 lacs in the Bbay used car marketplace.

GTO
Old 13th July 2004, 01:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

just for the info sake..
a friend of mine got a mid 2001 vtec with full service history .bought from ichibahn 31000 kms done .no accesories ,but a very clean car for 5.20...
2002 vtec with 40000 kms( 40000 km is a bit high) should be abt 5.4 in bbay used market
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2004, 03:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (dipen @ July 13 2004,10:27)]a friend of mine got a mid 2001 vtec with full service history .bought from ichibahn 31000 kms done .no accesories ,but a very clean car for 5.20...
2002 vtec with 40000 kms( 40000 km is a bit high) should be abt 5.4 in bbay used market
What your friend got was a real steal. According to this months overdrive mag. A 2001 Vtec with more miles on the clock but well maintained should cost around 6.2 lakhs in Bbay.

A 2002 Vtec with 40k i'd say should be around 6.3 to 6.5.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2004, 16:24   #13
BHPian

Since the preformance freaks were not satisfied with the new city for obvious reasons, the secondhand VTEC prices have gone up after the production siezed...Also the average buyer could not come in terms with the radical style of the new city.

Once the new City comes out with the next generation VTEC engine in last quarter of 2004, I guess the prices for the old versions will come down to realistic values.

When I checked VTEC prices 6-7 months back, good pieces(2002 end & 2003) *with around 25-30K on the clock were available for 6.0 easily. But now it is not the case atleast in Hyderabad. The prices have gone up a little.

Now only average quality cars with 60,000+ kms on the clock are available betwen 5.00 to 5.25. But I havent found a decent one below 6.0

BTW how are the spares cost for VTEC these days?? Are the spares freely available and will SIEL support the spares in the future too???

Old 13th July 2004, 16:34   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The preformance freaks were not satidfied with the new city for obvious reasons and the secondhand VTEC prices have gone up after the production siezed...
So I hear. According to OD, my Vtec is worth 8 lacs - far more than what I paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]BTW how are the spares cost for VTEC these days?? Are the spares freely available and will SIEL support the spares in the future too???
The Vtec engine will never need any work, provided you maintain it as per Honda recommendations. It will last you for a lifetime. The rest of the car is pretty much identical to the regular Citys. With almost 50000 Citys sold in 5 years, it will be a very profitable proposition for Honda SIEL to continue offering spares for the previous gen City.

GTO
Old 13th July 2004, 16:56   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Are the spares freely available and will SIEL support the spares in the future too???
By law, a manufacturer has to provide spare parts for a discontinued model upto a minimum of 7 years from the end of production of that model. So I think you are pretty safe!

Rtech
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote