Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th April 2007, 11:35   #31
BHPian

there are better ways to end your life.. do not put others in danger zone.

"Speed thrills but kills"
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 11:48   #32
BHPian

@Mods: I think the topic should be merged here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/2576-accidents-india-pics-17.html
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 11:52   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
its terrible, but did not understandf how the palio came into picture, as per TOI or Mumbai Mirror the swift hit the tempo and then rammed the auto and couple of others. The palio was at behind or side by side.

The simulations in TOI shows that the tempo rammed the swift from side, then how the rear has so much damage.
I do not have any firsthand info, but just a shot in the dark from me.
I feel the Swift may have been ahead of the Palio, entered the junction, gets rammed by the tempo, while at the same time the speeding Palio also makes a lunge at the Swift, and the two go ahead and pile into the auto and others.

Not sure, but just my observations.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 11:52   #34
Team-BHP Support

This was really unnecessary. There was no need to race and endanger lives. Sometimes, I really feel good that my parents gave me an old Amby to drive after I got my licence. Today's kid living in the NFS and 2F2F era driving powerful cars seem to be losing it. The Alistair case has just been reopened and everyone's read about it. Should have served as an eye-opener to one and all. I might sound a bit harsh here, but, looking at the way things are progressing in our country, I guess it's time to get strict. Driving like punks and playing with lives is not an option. Sorry.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 11:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Frankly i don't feel sorry for anyone involved but the autorickshaw guy.

Drifter
I agree drifter - no seat belts , racing at high speeds blindly without watching intersections - I guess I am being harsh . And about the auto guy , though I feel sorry for him, what was he doing parked at the side (hopefully not in the middle lane)

And the tempo guy , driving at those speeds ??

OT - I have seen dumpers scythe through traffic in Powai at 70 kmph , busy streets that too. guess time has arrived to have speed limiters 40 kmph on our trucks.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 12:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

You know what its probably not even the tempo's fault, these guys were speeding, it probably left no time for the tempo guy to brake or even if he did...we have to remember tempos don't stop on a dime.

I see it as the fault of the teens only. The tempo was unlucky enough to get caught in the bull$hit.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 25th April 2007 at 12:23.
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 12:24   #37
BHPian

today's TOI, delhi edition read "tarosh was in the back seat of the swift and his body was crushed beyond recognition" : damm, this is awful!

Saw the pic of the swift (the damaged right rear) in the opening post. What a horrible this accident must have been.

My deepest Condolences to the families of the hurt/dead in the mishap. I hope the cops become more alert on these roads in Mumbai
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 12:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thats horrible accident....Kids are not meant to drive cars !! and racing in the night, were their parents sleeping? They are responsible for all this....they need a good thrashing....
MG Road in bangalore is another circuit for kids of rich&irresponsible parents in the night...There was indeed some accidents untill police banned it...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 12:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Utterly reckless. What a waste. No car will save you if you have stones in your head! Why can't parents stop such kids from driving. Do all the racing on the track, not on the streets.
Well said Drifter but how many follow this? I guess its the adrenalin rush that goes to the head. I know I'm going to be flamed for this but our fellow members are tearing up Nandi hills at 8 in the morning on a public road - whats the difference?
Quote:
Parents should keep a close watch on how their kids drive when they are not around.
You are absolutely correct but I guess its a part of growing up - at the age of 18, its more about "concealing" from parents and who would be able to track their kids round the clock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
guess time has arrived to have speed limiters 40 kmph on our trucks.
This is long overdue - tempos, trucks, RTVs & buses MUST have speed governors. A lot more lives could be saved I think - these morons have no business driving those kind of heavy machineries at these kind of speeds.

My sincere condolences to the bereaved families - May the kids souls rest in peace. No one deserves such a terrible death whatever the circumstances. Least of all a youngster in the REAR SEAT. I guess this is where experience and maturity comes in - as Gordon mentioned, I NEVER speed through an intersection even if the light is green till I see that all sides are clear & there is no maniac jumping a red light. At times it means missing the green light but its worth it. And yes, SEATBELTS at all times . (These days, I insist my kids wear their's as well even when sitting at the rear)

Last edited by suman : 25th April 2007 at 12:35.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 12:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Drifty

I think everyone involved is responsible. In the first place the tempo and the two cars should have slowed down at the junction. The tempo crash into the Swift and wreckage of the Swift gives an idea of what speeds the tempo must be doing. The same goes for the Swift and the Palio. IMO traffic lights should be operating at all times and should be followed whether is is 4 AM od 4 PM.

Slowing down at the junction would have saved the lives of those two boys. Not to mention the seat belts as well. Accident happen all the time but the Indian driver will never learn the importance of the seat belt and the helmet. The rule seems to have died down a bit. All these accidents are wake up calls but somehow no one seems to understand.

No one deserves to die like this but if you dont think about safety you just cant escape such mishaps.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 12:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

My condolences to the families of the dead.

Quote:
I know I'm going to be flamed for this but our fellow members are tearing up Nandi hills at 8 in the morning on a public road - whats the difference?
I thought I was the only guy thinking on these lines and hence maintained relative silence on the topic,and to think that there are calls for a repeat of the same.No matter how good a driver you are,its not necessary that the other person/persons could react as we would want to.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 25th April 2007 at 12:43.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 12:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Agree. 5min dashes across 9kms of curves and hairpins - thank God there was no mishap - esp for the other users on the road. In a controlled environment (rallying, road cleared for one way traffic, roll cages etc) its a much more calculated risk, tho mishaps still occur - but the participants know and do not put anyone else in potential harm's way.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 12:54   #43
BHPian

reading these news yesterday in the evening edition of mid-day, i just thought why do these kids drive like maniacs. even i started driving the car when i was just eighteen but there was certain discipline to be followed and any break of rule and i would be derived the car keys. one of the guy who died had received his swift as a birthday gift as it is reported. why cant parents buy something which will not be misused. i mean car as a bday gift for a 18 year old. even if you gift it atleast let it be used under supervision. but will anybody learn a lesson from all this loss and damage.

some equally rash driver must have killed my brother in law but the car driver dint even bother to wait and see if the one whom his car has hit is living or dead. he just went about as if nothing happened. here also because of somebody's whims and fancies cost some family their dear one.

this would be my sincere request to all who drive or ride, please wear your seatbelts and helmets and dont drive rashly, this will certainly help others as well as you.

condolences to the family of those who died.

Mansi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 12:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO traffic lights should be operating at all times and should be followed whether is is 4 AM od 4 PM.
I agree with Dippy, but that stilll doesn't solve the problem. For all you know, that traffic light will kill you. Since in the night, most don't follow signals. So you see a green light and floor it just to be in for a HUGE surprise coming from the red light lanes.

@Drifter - Haven't you EVER crossed the 80 mark in city roads?

Most of love speed. Most of us will go around telling every person to be a responsible driver. But when one gets behind the wheel, its a completely different story. All of us abuse speed, like it or not.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Most of love speed. Most of us will go around telling every person to be a responsible driver. But when one gets behind the wheel, its a completely different story. All of us abuse speed, like it or not.
Second you on that.
Im sure 99% of us here dont stict to the speed limit and atleast once/twice a week flirt with the ton mark on public roads in our cars. It may be wrong from the law point of view, but till we are in control and do not pose a harm to other innocent people on the road (and to ourselves) i think its fair enough
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote