Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th April 2007, 13:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I agree with Dippy, but that stilll doesn't solve the problem. For all you know, that traffic light will kill you. Since in the night, most don't follow signals. So you see a green light and floor it just to be in for a HUGE surprise coming from the red light lanes.

@Drifter - Haven't you EVER crossed the 80 mark in city roads?

Most of love speed. Most of us will go around telling every person to be a responsible driver. But when one gets behind the wheel, its a completely different story. All of us abuse speed, like it or not.
PPL think traffic signals are there only to manage traffic and not for saftey.
PPL here (bangalore) start breaking the singals after 9-10 pm even when though signals are ON . I guess its the same everywhere . PPL thinking why should i wait at this empty signal when no ones around ?

I get very scared when i am at a signal at 10 pm waiting for the green ,when lorries and buses jump and roar past me and sometimes they honk like mad when i am infront of me , they force me to break the signal to move aside .

Last edited by black12rr : 25th April 2007 at 13:06.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

True, all of us speed, and I'll be the the first to accept that. Having said that, there are *sane* ways of speeding.

- not as an 'altercation' on the road - reasoning ability goes for a toss easily
- not when there's traffic around/ahead of you
- not when u're not at the top of your 'form' - could be a long day at work, a mild cold/fever, argument you had - anthing that reduces your reaction times/clouds judgement.

Even as you speed, be prepared to switch back into the defensive driving mode at the slightest sign of something amiss. Trusting yourself and the machinery too much is iffy.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Drifter - Haven't you EVER crossed the 80 mark in city roads?
I drive a safari.
On a more serious note, i love speed, but i've never let it get the beter of me. When I was 18, even I wanted to drive fast, but ample graphic warnings of my parents by showing me accident victims kept me driving sedately in the left lane.

Im just too scared to get hurt or to hurt anyone else, and I know for sure I won't be able to live with myself if somebody gets hurt because of me. The consequences are just not worth it.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 25th April 2007 at 13:24.
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Im just too scared to get hurt or to hurt anyone else, and I know for sure I won't be able to live with myself if somebody gets hurt because of me. The consequences are just not worth it.
The above is a very useful driving technique. Use your imagination to imagine the worst possible at any instant and see how much you can live with.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of love speed. Most of us will go around telling every person to be a responsible driver. But when one gets behind the wheel, its a completely different story. All of us abuse speed, like it or not.
i agree with you @gordon. i keep on telling everyone to drive safe, i tend to drive rash at times. my car doesnt have seat belts, but i make sure that whenever i am speeding, i am alone or do it when the road ahead is clear of traffic with no by-lanes and intersections. most importantly i know how my car will react at a certain speed, but its very hard to know how others will react. plus, i dont "race" with the modern machines (i know there is no point in that).

its way too bad that the crash will keep a deep scar on the families of the injured and the dead. i hope it wont happen to anyone from the team-bhp family. drive safe n take care guys.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, that was a VERY coincidental accident. They were racing at 3 in the morning when there are NO vehicles or people whatsoever. They didn't expect a tempo coming with that kind of speed to bump into them. Of course, they were "wrong".

And speaking of that tempo braking, he had enoughhhhh braking area. That lane is four lanes wide!!!! So imagine the speed with which he came!

More than anyyy safety measure, we need understanding and foresight.

Last edited by Gordon : 25th April 2007 at 13:14.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For all you know, that traffic light will kill you. Since in the night, most don't follow signals. So you see a green light and floor it just to be in for a HUGE surprise coming from the red light lanes.
I agree Gordon. people do not follow lights in the day, forget late at night.

Quote:
Haven't you EVER crossed the 80 mark in city roads?

I do not cross 80 in the city. Many of the bhpians will vouch for that, I have always been labelled a slow coach. Infact I am the last to arrive when we go on drives. Its simply not worth driving like a maniac on city roads forget racing. As it is we do not have space.

But anyways..
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

And just to add - a child will be how he has been brought up. When I learnt to drive , I was properly taught the value of the car, of life of the people walking and driving and of course my own life. As Drifter says , warnings by parents also worked. I am a responsible driver.

These days in times of high pressure living , parents also are to be blamed for this mess that youngsters and their kids find themselves in.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:22   #54
BHPian

Default another accident reported in mid-day.

MiD DAY on the Web - E-paper- Digital Paper : Mumbai

go to page 19. the girl who survived the accident has written the story first hand.

why do people have to be reckless.

Mansi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Gautam. In todays times it just isnt worth driving fast. My car never goes above the 60 kph mark in everyday city driving and my friends too curse me for being slow but I tend to ignore them. I have friends who drive rash when I'm a passenger and claim to be in control despite my warnings. At one time a friend banged his Optra into a tax in front of him on the WE highway and abused the poor taxi buy for coming in the way. I was in the front seat. The belt saved me else I wuld have hit the front windshield. Luckily the Optra escaped with a cracked front grille.

I know I should not be saying this but my friend would have got some sense had the car been damaged more. After that episode I avoid being a passenger in that friend's car. I go into another friend's car or I'd rather drive my own.

I hope he reads this story . And coincidently, he drives a red Swift as his daily driver. The Optra belongs to his dad.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

These days in times of high pressure living , parents also are to be blamed for this mess that youngsters and their kids find themselves in.
Absolutely.......I remember I had to really CONVINCE my Dad to buy me a scale model car as a gift, these days kids have it a lot better; a REAL car. Actually the value system is totally screwed up nowadays, I wonder if its a guilt complex (in terms of not being able to spend enough time with kids when they are growing up due to high pressure of work etc) that makes a lot of people give in to crazy demands of their children........

Apart from anything else, if you are agreeing to a post 3 am deadline for your kids to get back home (man, I was under the SCANNER at that age), you are indirectly supporting late night partying, drinking & driving and in general FASSSST driving as well I'd say. But all this is purely subjective & individual-opinion-driven isn't it?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

We can't keep saying signals should have been on, or tempo had braking distance or whatever.

What has happened has happened....we don't live in an ideal world. And in India this is specially true...it doesn't hurt to be extra careful which these boys obviously weren't.

It pisses me off to no extent how much grief their recklessness has caused not only to others but also their families. At the risk of sounding extremely blunt, I don't feel sorry for them.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:38   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
At the risk of sounding extremely blunt, I don't feel sorry for them.

Drifter
Drifter I am totally with you on this . I do not feel sorry for them either.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:48   #59
Team-BHP Support

I agree with what everyone has put down on how parents need to enforce rules on their kids, and also inculcate a sense of road discipline in them.

During my growing up days in Dubai, I wasnt even allowed to touch the car, as dad was very particular about it. I have no shame in admitting that the first car i ever drove was the instructor's car where i learnt driving in Hyderabad. Even there, the instructor used to be very adamant that i buckle up when starting, and he used to religiously do the same. Using the indicator when shifting lanes, not overspeeding, all these were taught to me over a period of time, both by my dad, and to a good degree the driving instructor. Today, i have enforced the safety of the seat belt on my wife too.

Just goes to show that such habits need to be practised right since an early age and it starts from home.

Thank you, dad... and the same to my driving instructor too.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:52   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Please do correct me if I have missed out on something .. Was anyone here or their relatives or friends a witness to this so called drag that happened between the palio and the swift ?? Or is it a case of the police and the media just blowing it out of proportion ?? The word "Drag" means money laundering for the cops from parents and masala for the prints ..

Because , with the current situation in bangalore almost every accident is considered as a case of street racing (with drivers under 30) which is not true .. Drunken driving is more of a worry in bangalore these days ..

Its nice to know that there are so many moral brigades out here , but do we practice what we preach ?? But then half of us shouldn't be travelling in anything other than bicycles or bullock carts .. Because even an m800 can hit speeds of 100 .. But when you get behind the wheel most tend to forget their limits .. Its a fact ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 25th April 2007 at 13:54.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote