Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 29th April 2007, 10:51   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
The driver was drunk .. Infact he shared the very same bottle of rum that we had purchased at sutra's ..
The TOI report says nobody was drunk, parents doing damage control?
Old 29th April 2007, 10:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The TOI report says nobody was drunk, parents doing damage control?

Exactly... They have to na..

Godfather
Old 29th April 2007, 11:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

All this is very sad. Condolences to the affected families.

I've mentioned it before - highway driving calls for a completely different set of skills - which are more specialized; and people who are used to city driving should consider this point seriously before venturing onto highways.

Thats not taking focus away from the fact drunken driving kills - as demonstrated here - irrespective of what the newspapers have been told by the cops.
Old 29th April 2007, 11:20   #19
BHPian

Few of us are advising that one should drive carefully.... I agree.

But tell me who would decide whether " I " know driving or not? Would it be me myself, the department that gives me the driving license or who?

In our country do we actually obey laws? (most of us do)... but again...

What I'm coming to is you can get a permanent driving license in the country's capital Delhi for Rs 1000/- without giving any driving test. Once I get the license it is for me to decide whether I know driving. Great no!!!!
Old 29th April 2007, 11:38   #20
BHPian

this is real sad to hear about this may their soul rest in peace.
Old 29th April 2007, 11:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Why do people in India drink and drive ?????? Just because there isnt any strict checking by the police doesnt mean that people should risk their lives like this.

Especially considering the driver has been overseas. I have seen people in UK book hotel rooms in advance if they plan to drink in a party and thus avoid driving. or ensure that one of the guys in a group doesnt drink so that he can drive and drop off the rest of them home.
Old 29th April 2007, 12:04   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why do people in India drink and drive ??????
Why do people anywhere drink and drive ?
Old 29th April 2007, 12:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Meghna is 16 not 17.She wrote her board exam 20 feet from me.She is still unconscious.Lakshmi has lost the ability to walk again.Archana is ok...none of the survivors know that Tanvi is dead.

Everyone is still in shock.Neary 350+ students turned up at her house yesterday to pay their respects.

Please wear your seatbelts.
Old 29th April 2007, 12:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
All this is very sad. Condolences to the affected families.

I've mentioned it before - highway driving calls for a completely different set of skills - which are more specialized; and people who are used to city driving should consider this point seriously before venturing onto highways.
Completely agree!! It is different on highways, specially if the road is good or excellent, as in this case. It is easy to be carried away by the speed and no external factor which limits the speed or alerts the driver. Drivers who are not used or drives rarely on highways should be driving at suggested speed limit of the Indian highways (60-80kmph), until they really get used to. I know on Bangalore Mysore road, there are boards with speed limiting of 50 and 60kmph.

If someone is driving at 160+kmph, we are talking of 100+mph, with this speed, even without anaccident, the driver will be put beyond the bars in US with his license suspended. At this speed, I am not sure if one can survive with seat belts in case of head on collision.

Parents, please keep a tab on what your kids are driving and at what time. At 3AM, even the professional truck drivers take a break and that to after a busy day and party without proper rest, I think it is just stupid to drive at that speed, where you are not suppose to be.

I feel really sorry for the families. May God Help the families in overcoming this tragic incident and Wishing speedy recovery for the injured.

regards,
-manju
Old 29th April 2007, 22:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

May the young souls rest in peace.
Was driving back today to Bangalore on the same road and the aftermath was quite visible.Looked like the driver failed to negotiate the turn there and thats how he ended up crashing.

Dint know it was someone known to our own T-BHP'ians.
Old 29th April 2007, 23:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
What I'm coming to is you can get a permanent driving license in the country's capital Delhi for Rs 1000/- without giving any driving test. Once I get the license it is for me to decide whether I know driving. Great no!!!!
Excellent point compenn. It is very sad that even a blind man can get a license here in India due to the rampant corruption.
Old 30th April 2007, 01:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

My heart goes out to the family of the boy and girl who lost their lives. May her soul rest in peace. I wish I could say the same about the driver.
Old 30th April 2007, 05:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
If someone is driving at 160+kmph, we are talking of 100+mph, with this speed, even without anaccident, the driver will be put beyond the bars in US with his license suspended.
he must have been enjoying his freedom in india. a lot of american residents venture into india to do things they never cud, in US.
Old 30th April 2007, 05:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

He's not from the US, as far as I know, and can we please stop the character assassination?
Old 30th April 2007, 05:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
can we please stop the character assassination?

I Totally agree with v1p3r here... Regardless of what has happened here.. lets respect the dead shall we???

Godfather
Closed Thread