Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th May 2007, 15:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

Exclamation Short supply of fuel at Shell outlets in Bangalore

I dont know if any other Bangaloreans have faced/observed this, but Shell seems to be running out of stock almost on a daily basis. Many a time, they claim to have only premium petrol in stock, and i end up with no other alternative but to go for it as i only tank up from Shell for both my bike as well as my car.

I faced this problem last Friday, and also on 2 occassions the current week. While they claim that its due to some tanker strikes and stuff, i am left wondering if its just a ploy to sell more of the premium petrol.

The bunks i am referring to are the ones located in Whitefield (near SAP), and the other one which comes when u go straight from Kundanahalli junction instead of the road leading towards ITPL.

Any other Bangaloreans facing the same issue?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 15:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Strange, So far didnt face any such problem...I always fillup at OMR between 7-8AM...
Looks like the demand is getting higher than the Supply...During the Saligram trip when I reached Shell OMR at 11PM it was choked with cars, trucks, tempos and all....There was mad rush for fuel... It is a 24hr service pump and it is always crowded...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 15:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

at the bunk at whitefield, whenever i go there, tehre is a lady attendant who tries her level best to convince me to go in for premium. On more than one occassion, I have seen her giving a shrug and a funny expression to her supervisor, when she failed to convince me

I guess they have been given a mandate to push premium fuel- maybe they have higher margins on that.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 15:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nopes never faced such a thing as yet. Atleast the Shell outlet on Highway to Hell (Hosur Road) hasnt gone dry on regular fuel in the last 3 days time .

edit : Just read himanshu's post. Common thingy these days at the Shell outlets these days. Faced this last week at Lavelle Road and the one on Tumkur Road(Near RNS).

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 9th May 2007 at 15:52.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 15:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

The demand is really high for Shell petrol, but i just found it funny that it happens kind of consecutively. i tried both Shell outlets nearby, but going all the way to OMR to try was like taking a risk with the low fuel present.
Not wanting to end up stranded, i filled 3 liters of the premium petrol in my bike.
Old 9th May 2007, 16:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I guess they have been given a mandate to push premium fuel- maybe they have higher margins on that.
A friend who owns a BP pump told me recently that they offer much higher commission to their salesmen on premium fuel compared to normal unleaded. So what you're thinking is actually true there but not sure about Shell.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 16:45   #7
BHPian

@rjstyles,

I guess You havent tried to fill in the hosur road Shell outlet yesterday.
@9:30AM in the morning, all motorists (including me hehehe) were told they have run out of fuel.

They have resumed services today.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 16:54   #8
BHPian

Was this only a temporary shortage? I tried filling up at the Hosur Road pump on Monday morning - around 10:00 am and was told they were out of stock. (Although they did have diesel apparently)
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 16:59   #9
BHPian

i have never faced fuel shortage problem in shell outlet neat dr.rajkumar rd. but attendant tries to convince to go in for premium.
deepak_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 17:20   #10
BHPian

Seems they get higher margins on premium petrol. Some IOC petrol pumps in hyderabad sells only Premium petrol, particularly the one in Hi-Tec city in hyderabad. I have come across on regular basis, they start to fill premium even before you tell what petrol to fill.
ravi@64bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 19:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

The reason behind the shortage accordign to what they told me was that there was some tankers strike in Mangalore, and that was the reason behind the short supply.

Despite all the good teatment they have dished out so far this isnt looking good for them. And the fact that this is beginning to happen often is all the more worrying.
Old 9th May 2007, 19:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

I fill only in Shell pumps on Mysore road. So far, I have not faced any problems with shortage of normal petrol. Yes. They try to push for Premium petrol. When they found that I am not so keen on that, they have stopped pushing me for that. I normally use Premium once in every 4-5 fills and the rest will be normal unleaded.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 20:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The bunks i am referring to are the ones located in Whitefield (near SAP), and the other one which comes when u go straight from Kundanahalli junction instead of the road leading towards ITPL.
Any other Bangaloreans facing the same issue?
I too faced a similar problem yesterday! The shell bunk on KR puram was completely out of petrol! they had only diessel in stock!

OT: @benbsb29: are you working for SLI?
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 20:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Faced this issue last week in Chennai too.

they had no fuel except premium fuel and they said the trucks were not arriving from Blore due to some strike....

Waited for 2 days to tankup.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 20:27   #15
BHPian

I am addicted to Shell now.
The mileage and performance of Shell is way better than Adviata or any other fuel outlet I have tried.

I am in love with it!!!

I have taken the risk all the time... With my empty light beeping... I have always ventured to Shell and I have nt been disappointed so far.
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote