Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th May 2007, 01:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default violence in TN

The Hindu News Update Service

to the people who encourage (not necessarily initiate) these, the number of dead is just numbers. the bigger, the better.

and they have practically hired soul-less killers to engage in these activities. how else can you explain them locking two men in the room and then bombing it, in full view of a so called thousands of years old civilization.

the end goal is the resultant violence. tomorrow it can be triggered by you or me just walking by and looking at the statues of a certain politician.

Deep sympathies to the young computer engineers' families. and complete loss of faith in the situation of law and order.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 02:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Man this is horrible news.. How can anyone resort to such things...
May the souls rest in peace..

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 10:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

The news story reads like its straight out of some war-torn African nation. This is sad - the country comes above anything else. If these "democratically" elected "governments" always come with a sole purpose of kingdom formation, the best roadmap is for the Indian Army to take over governance in all entirety and rattle everone's cage till only the minority ethical people having the big picture in mind are left.

To read
Quote:
Both were trapped inside the room as the attackers locked it after hurling the bombs
is unacceptable to anyone with a moral and a conscience. This incident is similar to something that had happened in TN a few years back - that I remember seeing footage of a few months back - where some innocent female students were locked inside a bus and the bus set on fire in full view of their classmates.

Last edited by theMAG : 10th May 2007 at 11:02.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 10:58   #4
Team-BHP Support

@theMAG : i think i remember the incident. I was in TN doing my BE then.

While the TOI front page report didnt mention that the engineers were locked in, they did mention a fact which seems to be a common point in almost all such events... that there were policemen who just STOOD AND WATCHED. According to TOI, there was an attack at 9:30, then 10:30 and both times, the cops didnt take any action at all.

Those who saw the footage of the incident at Star News will also recollect how the police van in the vicinity carried on as if they hadnt seen a thing, while the hooligans walked away scot-free. Sad that this is what our country is coming to.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 11:36   #5
BHPian

These so called "dravidian" parties are always known for instigating violence. Thats part of their history... both MK's sons are nothing short of rowdies. Its just that after stalin started nurturing for CM post, that he has got his image transformed.

But then people go and vote for them... so they have to enjoy all these side effects. What can a police do. That institution has been systematically destroyed, long back. It commands no fear or respect. Blaming those constables for standing there doing nothing hardly make any sense.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 11:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

It is not at all surprising to me. The same party did the same undemocratic thing when the corporation elections were held. They took hostage of the innocent govt staff on duty at the booths & beat them up brandishing knives et al. At least this time they cannot blame the opposition for this as the DMK Mayor of Madurai & her councillors are in every snap that was taken.

Condolences to the family of the dead.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 12:00   #7
BHPian

i get confused seeing tamil nadu election results. they give full majority to DMK or AIADMK and the opposition will be having mere 40 to 50 seats.. and both parties when in power misuse the power.

i think Dictatorship is a must atleast for 2 to 3 yrs in India
deepak_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 12:03   #8
BANNED

I feel ashamed to be a Tamilian.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 12:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
These so called "dravidian" parties are always known for instigating violence. Thats part of their history... both MK's sons are nothing short of rowdies. Its just that after stalin started nurturing for CM post, that he has got his image transformed.

But then people go and vote for them... so they have to enjoy all these side effects. What can a police do. That institution has been systematically destroyed, long back. It commands no fear or respect. Blaming those constables for standing there doing nothing hardly make any sense.
G Krishn,

Do not bring in Dravidian here and make it politics. We all know what happened in Gujarat, West Bengal, Maharastra and Karnataka where there is no Dravidian party.

What our friends are talking about is humanity. Very fundamental for being a human being.

Old 10th May 2007, 12:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobraj View Post
G Krishn,

Do not bring in Dravidian here and make it politics. We all know what happened in Gujarat, West Bengal, Maharastra and Karnataka where there is no Dravidian party.

What our friends are talking about is humanity. Very fundamental for being a human being.

Old 10th May 2007, 15:00   #11
BHPian

Anyone else notice this paragraph from the article?

"The victims of the violence--Gopi(30) and Vinodh(25)--both computer engineers, were asphyxiated when they re-entered the office to save the computers from the attack"

I found it shocking and deeply saddening to read that the price of these people's lives and personal safety was thought to be less than that of some used computer equipment!
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 15:33   #12
Team-BHP Support

Ajit, as per TOI, they went back in to shut down the computers. I really do not understand why they had to risk their lives for the computers !!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 15:41   #13
BANNED

Humanity at worst!
What else can one say about this?
Shocking!!

Now on, they will go out and find out who all voted in the survey and kill them too??

RIP! The unlucky souls!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 16:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

I thought they were not locked in but went in to shut down the comps and got caught in the fire. Brave but foolhardy. Anyways may their souls rest in peace.

Stupidity of our people knows no bounds. The big bosses say something and all the chota motas go around trying to prove a point !!! Mindless violence, death and destruction is the result.

Every state seems to have a problem.

TN - used to be caste violence and poll rigging - now its who wants to rule ! sometimes I'm sad that we get what we deserve.

KA - Cauvery & Rajkumar. So sad that a life giving thing like water has to be the cause of so much sadness. I felt so sad that to honour a nice man's death, only death seemed to be the solution !

Gujarat - the less said the better. religious bigotry, fake encounters. For a state that gave Gandhi.

WB - no one seems to know what's happening in Nandigram. Sheer madness.

EDIT: Nothing against these 4 states. have more to crib about.

Dravidian, Aryan - all human. Sometimes I wonder if we should go and live with the Bushmen in Africa or the Centinalese in Nicobar !! Probably corrupt them as well !!!

Last edited by csentil : 10th May 2007 at 16:56.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 18:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Anyone else notice this paragraph from the article?

"The victims of the violence--Gopi(30) and Vinodh(25)--both computer engineers, were asphyxiated when they re-entered the office to save the computers from the attack"

I found it shocking and deeply saddening to read that the price of these people's lives and personal safety was thought to be less than that of some used computer equipment!
report mentions that violence erupted twice. may be they assumed everything was over and they responded to their call of duty. it's like people in 2nd tower of WTC getting trapped because they were told everything was fine and they had to go back, until the second plane hit. we never know what's going to happen next.

incidentaly when i was in verizon (US), in all their offices it said in case of emergency save ourself, never even try to save verizon property. could have a legal implication though.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote