Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 16:35   #286
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,250
Thanked: 484 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy
You should probably try Fishermans Fare opp to Don Bosco Egmore .They have lots of combos in sea foods
I have been there couple of times, its decent not bad neither very good. They are little expensive but give good amount.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 16:48   #287
BHPian
 
xtremeshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Have tried this other place called Park Pod, it's on Kadher Nawas Khan Rd. It is an authentic Italian place. It is a subsidery of The Park Hotel. Ambiemce is real good, was impressed. We ordered chicken pasta, a crab rice, and some pork cakes (the names are simply mentioned, it would be near impossible to reciprocate the real dish names). Well the pasta was too bland for my taste, i could not even swallow the crab rice, it was just weird, but the pork cake, omg was just brilliant, will go there just for that one day.
Well it is a expensive place, but it does serve booze.

Another place i like is Copper Chimney, their Kadai Chicken is my Favorite, and the last time i went there i got free tickets for the Luky Ali concert :-)

Last edited by xtremeshock : 9th July 2010 at 16:50.
xtremeshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 23:25   #288
Senior - BHPian
 
navan49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 1,010
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Had dinner in A2B Chrome pet. The items were Uthapaam 2 Idly 1 plate,Poori 1 Kara Kzhukkatai 2 plates. cofee 2 and a cup of tea. The eaters were 1 South indian and 2 foreigners. The comment was exceptionally good.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 15:19   #289
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 580
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

1) Had been to Saravana Bhavan, Pondy Bazaar last Thursday - 100Rs for a heavily oiled Panneer Dosa and a less-than-average mini-tiffin left us baffled.

2) Had been to Mathsya, Egmore for a vegetarian dinner with the family and was mightily impressed. The total expense for seven of us, came around 1800Rs which definitely seemed better than a dinner at Saravana Bhavan. The Swiss Roll and the Coconut-Lemonade Mocktail, were the absolute best. The rice quantities seemed very low, though.

The restaurant is from Udipi stable, is open until 2AM and can seat about 150 people. No prior reservations, which means a long wait for seating with road-side parking being the best option. The restaurant can be found on the left, while going from Egmore railway station towards the Children's hospital.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 15:25   #290
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,611
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default

Saravana Bhavan specialises in small servings and high prices. They have established a reputation among both NRI and foreign visitors for hygiene, and I know people who are reluctant to eat anywhere else. However, an occasional visit, for the sake of their fresh-fruit jackfruit ice cream is well worth it: it is bliss!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 16:01   #291
BHPian
 
MutantX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 868
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Have you guys tried Bagya mess in West Mambalam. It is right opposite to ayothiya mandabam. Excellent South and North Indian food. It is one which belongs to inexpensive category.

I have pleasant memories of having late night dinner at this place during my college days
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 23:19   #292
BHPian
 
xtremeshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Desi Maine: This restaurant is in the new mall Express Avenue, right above Sangeetha stall in the food court. This place is A part of the Sangeetha. Well they have a lavish menu, they even had 4 or 5 different types of faloodas. But unfortunately they did not have half the menu, not even dosa's and iddli's :-0. We settled with a north Indian Thali and chappati and paneer butter masala. We were expecting it to be good cause it coated 250 bucks, The thali had the smallest gobi manchurian I have ever seen, all the gravy items were only half filled, the peas rice in the thali was the only thing I really liked. The chappati dish came with 2 chappAtis and small half filled cups of paneer and dal, needless to say it was inadequate, and the food tasted so so.
xtremeshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 00:09   #293
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,611
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default

I suspect that these new malls are about making people think that they are not in India!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 00:52   #294
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
You should probably try Fishermans Fare opp to Don Bosco Egmore .They have lots of combos in sea foods
Thats my favourite place. Their sea food's are mouth watering !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Have tried this other place called Park Pod, it's on Kadher Nawas Khan Rd. It is an authentic Italian place. It is a subsidery of The Park Hotel. Ambiemce is real good, was impressed. We ordered chicken pasta, a crab rice, and some pork cakes (the names are simply mentioned, it would be near impossible to reciprocate the real dish names). Well the pasta was too bland for my taste, i could not even swallow the crab rice, it was just weird, but the pork cake, omg was just brilliant, will go there just for that one day.
Well it is a expensive place, but it does serve booze.
Been to Park Pod last week. The ambience is excellent but the food was not to my liking. Infact, we were 5 of us and all of us came back
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 13:43   #295
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,087
Thanked: 684 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Been to Park Pod last week. The ambience is excellent but the food was not to my liking. Infact, we were 5 of us and all of us came back

You mean to say you all were lucky to have come back alive?? Was it that bad?

Just Kidding
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 13:50   #296
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,233
Thanked: 1,221 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
1)
2) Had been to Mathsya, Egmore for a vegetarian dinner with the family and was mightily impressed. The total expense for seven of us, came around 1800Rs which definitely seemed better than a dinner at Saravana Bhavan. The Swiss Roll and the Coconut-Lemonade Mocktail, were the absolute best. The rice quantities seemed very low, though.
Mathsya serves the best Sambhar in city is what I have heard.

Did you taste the sambhar?
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 17:37   #297
BHPian
 
Brix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 585
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
1) Had been to Saravana Bhavan, Pondy Bazaar last Thursday - 100Rs for a heavily oiled Panneer Dosa and a less-than-average mini-tiffin left us baffled.
I think that SB is a franchisee. My sister went there and they didnt provide coconut chutney. When asked for, they said that when the others are keeping quiet why are you(us) creating a problem. Ultimately - they packed the chutney after the bill was paid. I swore to never go there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Have you guys tried Bagya mess in West Mambalam. It is right opposite to ayothiya mandabam. Excellent South and North Indian food. It is one which belongs to inexpensive category.
Excellent place indeed.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 18:20   #298
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Mathsya serves the best Sambhar in city is what I have heard.

Did you taste the sambhar?
They serve the Udipi style Sambar. You will hate it if you are the Saravana Bhavan kind.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 22:36   #299
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 331 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
They serve the Udipi style Sambar. You will hate it if you are the Saravana Bhavan kind.
+1. I was very disappointed when my relative gave a lot of build-up about Mathsya and took us there. Reminded me of my experience in Mavalli Tiffin Rooms. Came home and had another lunch
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 00:43   #300
BHPian
 
neoranjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 588
Thanked: 191 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
1) Had been to Saravana Bhavan, Pondy Bazaar last Thursday - 100Rs for a heavily oiled Panneer Dosa and a less-than-average mini-tiffin left us baffled..
I had that experience too. So much oil . Three more drops and it would have created a dent in the world's oil reserves
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore Hatari Shifting gears 3605 21st August 2017 19:23
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1130 9th January 2017 10:20
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks