Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd November 2010, 10:39   #331
Senior - BHPian

@Vineet - How was the quality of food? I've been hearing about this place for quite sometime now, could you give an overview of the theme pls? I hope they've a good vegetarian section right? Some pointers on veg section is also appreciated.

OT
1. But, being a weekend & that too Sunday, shouldn't you be at those restaurants early? Say, atleast by 7:00 PM? If I were to go for dinner or lunch, I'd be at the restaurant early & leave late.

2. Why did you pay the tips as they decided what you need to eat?

Last edited by aargee : 22nd November 2010 at 10:40.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:45   #332
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Must be a one off experience, I'd say. Or they've gone bad. My experience has always been good. We plan the trip. Since i know that we'll be made to wait, we go there, book our seats, give our mob no and then go to the Odyssey outlet. We browse thru the books and music and sometimes buy some as well and by the time we're done our turn would've come at Rain Forest. The RF Spl Steak is not up to the mark but i won't complain about the rest. I'd taken my sister there on a very late night dinner and we were surprised to see all dishes available. On another occasion one of the waiters was a bit impatient to clear the plates. On having a word with the lady at the counter, that was sorted out. The quantity they serve is quite good compared to similarly priced restaurants.

EDIT: That was in response to Vineet's post

@aargee
The quality and quantity are both good. One bowl of fried rice serves 2 very hungry foodies like me. Their veg dishes are also good, but not as good as the non veg. I've found their staff to be courteous.

Last edited by silversteed : 22nd November 2010 at 10:55.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:53   #333
BHPian

@aargee: The theme of the restaurant is that of a tropical rain forest. So the walls are cave-like, there are stuffed monkeys, snakes etc on the walls, there are trees, leaves etc and a waterfall. It's a novel ambience, and the kids will enjoy it.

They have a good vegetarian selection, and the taste of the food (except for my steak) was decent. The portions were also pretty sizeable.

To your questions:

1. We had come back from Pichavaram that evening only, and we tried calling up to make reservations, but they said they don't take any reservations. But yes, it's better to land up there at 7 or so...
2. I didn't tip generously.
vineetmanghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:04   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Since i know that we'll be made to wait, we go there, book our seats, give our mob no and then go to the Odyssey outlet.
Oh!!! So they give you a call once the seat is free is it? Good then

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
The theme...and the kids will enjoy it.
Oh!!! good; then I'll be little careful when I take my little ones; the eldest is manageable, but the youngest is highly intolerable. Thanks for the warning

Quote:
They have a good vegetarian selection
Good. Tks.

Quote:
I didn't tip generously.
Well, I tip generously all the time; the catch is that, I tip only when the service is exceptional at that place, otherwise no tips, be it Marriot, HSB or Rama's cafe!!!

Thanks Silversteed & Vineet for your inputs; I'll try RT sometime in Jan/Feb

OT - May be we should start a thread "Do you tip" in the shifting gears
Old 22nd November 2010, 16:02   #335
BHPian

Vegetarian:

Rajdhani in Express Avenue Mall. 3rd Floor in the Food Court.

By the initial looks, there is no menu. Just a Universal Thali that has about 4 dry dishes and 4 gravy/daal dishes.

-Unlimited phulkas/puris/some biscuit type bread.
-Kichidi
-Dahi Vadas and Papad
-Plain rice
-Curd Rice
-3 types of dessert. You can choose one, but he will give you another if you finish the first one.

Very clean, hygenic and v.v tasty food. Loved it. I'd say its the closest to home food I've eaten. Highly recommended if you are vegetarian, love North Indian food and are very very hungry.

Open from 7-11 for dinner. No idea about the morning timings.

Per Head - Rs.250.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:14   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Very clean, hygenic and v.v tasty food. Loved it. I'd say its the closest to home food I've eaten.
AND
Quote:
Highly recommended if you are vegetarian, love North Indian food
Sounds good @Brix; we'd like to try, but for...

Quote:
Last time (around Apr 2010), we were there in the evening around 4-5 PM & the whole place was like Koyambedu market with all possible sounds in all possible direction. Is that the same situation even now?
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:40   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Last time (around Apr 2010), we were there in the evening around 4-5 PM & the whole place was like Koyambedu market with all possible sounds in all possible direction. Is that the same situation even now?
September, that was the case. Koyambedu market - ha ha. With the card that one has to purchase - queue for that and the bus-stand-kind-queueless (this is Chennai-wide) at the particular joint and wait.

First time, at the Thai joint there was place for 2 people to stand and a couple to cook in a 5 x 10 or so and 10 hungry people with their request white-slips

Second time we climbed the stairs to Sangeetha (though we would have loved to munch-away of a leg) just to get some sitting area and get the food delivered at the table. It was expensive, we felt, though I remember the kebab-platter suggested by the waiter stood out.

And the last time during Ramzan, since the thought of the crowd, process and delivery time we went to Big Bazaar and got some curries/rice-varieties went to the parking lot (as no other sitting area, though it can get hot if you spend too much time there it was ok for a 20 min lunch break), opened up the 5 doors, good music, picnic-style and back to the mall for post-lunch session.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 22nd November 2010 at 20:44.
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:36   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vegetarian:

By the initial looks, there is no menu. Just a Universal Thali that has about 4 dry dishes and 4 gravy/daal dishes.

-Unlimited phulkas/puris/some biscuit type bread.
-Kichidi
-Dahi Vadas and Papad
-Plain rice
-Curd Rice
-3 types of dessert. You can choose one, but he will give you another if you finish the first one.

Very clean, hygenic and v.v tasty food. Loved it. I'd say its the closest to home food I've eaten. Highly recommended if you are vegetarian, love North Indian food and are very very hungry.

Open from 7-11 for dinner. No idea about the morning timings.

Per Head - Rs.250.
I had the same in their branch at 'The Central', Bangalore. Authentic North Indian food. Curd rice was awesome. Place is always flooded, and the service was quite quick.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:58   #339
BHPian

Quote:
AND

Yes - we arrived at 7.00 on the dot and it was full. Good that my in laws came a bit early and got seats.

Well - I was reading the thread for some good Vegetarian joints and only saw N.Veg mostly. So adding my count for the Veggie army.

I saw a post mentioning brain fry and I stopped reading this thread for some days.

[quote=jeevmenon;2149082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I had the same in their branch at 'The Central', Bangalore. Authentic North Indian food. Curd rice was awesome. Place is always flooded, and the service was quite quick.
Yes very very quick. They put some fast music and that makes you eat faster. And food is replenished as soon as it is eaten.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:13   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I saw a post mentioning brain fry and I stopped reading this thread for some days.
, I'm still unable to control!!!

You need to try little Italy (have posted my review previous page) once in a while; expensive but excellent food. Its a Italian+Mexican food but all vegetarian.

On the same Ampa skywalk mall, there's an outlet of Mr & Mrs Idly, have you tried them? I heard they've about 15+ varieties in idlies.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:48   #341
BHPian

try <local>.burpp.com. Mostly pretty useful comments.

* Disclaimer. Not associated with burpp.com.
KumaravelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:47   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I posted it on pg 18 and tried and appreciated by BlueThunder on pg 19. My favorite dish. Unsubscribe now!? Seriously, I am scared it might get off the city menus soon. Are veggies food lovers has been my question for long? Whenever, I meet people deeply discussing about food found / cooking they are invariably non-vegetarians talking about meat/fish. I have never wondered why?

Last edited by jeevmenon : 23rd November 2010 at 18:48.
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:35   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
mutton-pepper-fry, paya - these are food from the old-world charm - none of the new ones - post 2000 hotels have these - just am scared that The TopSees, City Gates, Traffic Jams, Runs, Coronets (some might have already gone) dont vanish - due to monopolies of the A2B, SB, MIS, Sangeethas. Milan - no frills hotel. Total VFM..
dug up this post after reading about the brain fry discussions anyway I used to frequent this place a lot for lunch for 3 years when I was in college .. they had great barottas .. miss those days, how about a Milan Tbhp meet ?
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 14:46   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Yes. I posted it on pg 18 and tried and appreciated by BlueThunder on pg 19. My favorite dish. Unsubscribe now!?
No offense Jeev. I didnt know they had a dish like that until few years back.
It's was as shocking as hearing that the police raided a Korean joint in Santhome(Chennai) because they cooked dogs.

Dont mind me, I'm finding my feet in this world.

Quote:

You need to try little Italy

Mr & Mrs Idly
Yes I've heard of little Italy. Waiting for someone to treat me there.

Ampa Skywalk - I went up 8 levels of parking before finding a slot. And decided not to go there again.

I'm dont mind mixed kitchens. Getting used to them. I just stick to Vegetarian dishes.

Last edited by Brix : 24th November 2010 at 14:50.
Old 24th November 2010, 15:10   #345
Senior - BHPian

One more Economy-mode hotel that I discovered: Hotel Sea Mount, on Nelson Manickam road. It's on the top floor of the building next to the HDFC ATM at Mehta Nagar bus stop.

The dishes I liked best: Fish/Chicken Onion Fry, Puttu-kadala, Chicken soup. Pricing, well, it's cheap. Fish Onion Fry @ Rs.50, Puttu-Kadala @ Rs.50, etc.

The waiters are cordial, except one - he would come asking you to shift to another table of his choice, or if there are just two people he'd demand (in a less polite way) that the two of you share the table with another pair. I never tip this guy.

By the way, I don't see many families frequenting this place, but a lot of youngsters like me yes.

EDIT: For Brix and others -
If you are going to Ampa Skywalk in a bike, it's better to park it near the petrol bunk on the opposite side. And by car, well no other choice other than the mall parking. My experience is, it's easier and less time consuming if you walk from Loyola side to Skywalk than take a vehicle at peak hours. Coming from the other direction, it's comparatively easier.

Last edited by silversteed : 24th November 2010 at 15:15.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote