Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th May 2007, 10:39   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Mumbai Domestic Airport - Free Internet (finally)

Here I am at Mumbai terminal 1A, waiting for my Kingfisher flight to Cohin. This terminal is shared by Kingfisher, Go air and Indian Airlines.

As usual I opened up me Powerbook, and I always find some networks here. Sometimes the airport internet (No access) sometimes Tata Indicom wi-fi (needs username password)

This time i saw a netweok called "Free Internet from Airtel"

I logged on and it opened up a page in my Firefox saying, click here to recieve your username and password. I did so (after entering my tel no) and in 5 seconds i recd an sms with a username and password.

15 seconds later, I was online. India's getting better everyday! My compliemts to the airport authorities and to Airtel.

It's fast. It's free. Enjoy!
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 10:59   #2
BANNED

Nice move By Airport Authorities , I always search for wifi Signals but damn users h've protected their with Wpa key Now it's Great place to use Wifi in Home/Barista/Airport !
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 11:13   #3
BHPian

Thats good to hear. Sometime back I was cursing IGI airport in Delhi when I found Tata Indicom which was demanding some passwords
pogusingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 12:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes Sam, was about to post the same but you beat me to it. I tried it out on Friday the 24th - and used the Airtel Wifi Internet and surfed on my phone. Good speeds too.

Finally India is getting there. BTW I heard there are plans to have wifi connectivity on the Mumbai Pune highway till Vashi.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 27th May 2007 at 22:47.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 13:29   #5
BHPian

The Noida-->Greater Noida expressway already boasts of the wifi availability although I havent tested it as yet
pogusingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 13:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
The Noida-->Greater Noida expressway already boasts of the wifi availability although I havent tested it as yet
Yeah,I guess it would be difficult to drive & log in to the wifi network at the same time
AshOnTheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 15:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Finally India is getting there. BTW I heard there are plans to have wifi connectivity on the Mumbai Pune highway till Vashi.
i really hope they think this thru before implementing it. last thing we need is drivers watching youtube videos while driving on the expressway!!!!
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 23:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
i really hope they think this thru before implementing it. last thing we need is drivers watching youtube videos while driving on the expressway!!!!
Atleast they wont be driving @180kmph +

BTW nice news.. free internet is my cup of tea
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 16:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Here I am at Mumbai terminal 1A, waiting for my Kingfisher flight to Cohin. This terminal is shared by Kingfisher, Go air and Indian Airlines.
Argghh.. And the other terminal does not even have a place to sit.. Next time I must book on Kingfisher/Go Air/Indian.

BTW, I used free wifi for about 2 months at my company guest house, courtesy, Taj Krishna, just opposite the road in Banjara Hills, Hyderabad

Last edited by spadival : 28th May 2007 at 16:29.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 17:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Argghh.. And the other terminal does not even have a place to sit.. Next time I must book on Kingfisher/Go Air/Indian.
This is absolutely incorrect. The newer sexier terminal operates for Sahara, Jet and spice and the rest. Though it doesnt state clearly, there are some fantastic lounges in the airport, open to all public.

After you check in, instead of going straight ahead, or right (for jet) you turn left and go upstairs by lift or by stairs. There are 2 beautiful lounges upstairs, managed by the Oberoi, I think.

The left is open for economy passengers and the one straight ahead is open to business class. However if have any Gold or higher Mastercard, you may enter the business class lounge.

It overlooks the runway and has some excellent snacks, tea and beer on offer. I always go a little early and watch the planes take off and land. There is also a nice shopping centre, with an extension of shoppers stop inside the terminal.

It feels wonderful, boys. Because it's a domestic airport in our India.

A very similar and beautiful lounge, managed by the meridien exists at Ahmedabad airport also on the fist floor. No runway view though.

One of my favourite airports is Bagdogra airport in WB. Cheap and amazing restaurant bang over the solitary runway with very inexpensive beer, fish and chips! Hel I could describe almost every airport in India, but that would be another thread.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 17:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Or this thread will also go to about 1000 posts.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 17:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
This is absolutely incorrect. The newer sexier terminal operates for Sahara, Jet and spice and the rest. Though it doesnt state clearly, there are some fantastic lounges in the airport, open to all public.
oops.. missed that one completely. Thanks for the info. The terminal looks sexier of course. Actually, quite shocked that AAI can actually come up with aesthetic stuff.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 17:27   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually, quite shocked that AAI can actually come up with aesthetic stuff.
Nice to look at it may be, but its not been designed with ease of use by the passengers. They've made it like someone's living room!

Not enough place to sit at most times, terrible security check system, the entrance looks like a railway station, they have only left 2 lanes for private cars to enter to leave passengers, which leads to traffic jams as some people simply stop in the outer lane.

And ofcourse, no proper signage to tell you which airlines are in which terminal. But I guess it's like driving in mumbai, if you don't know the roads, too bad!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 00:50   #14
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai Domestic Airport - Free Internet (finally)

I also found YOU Wi-Fi at the domestic and international airport. I provided my name and Indian mobile number, had to send an sms to a number and vola... and now I am online. Surfing is perfect, however I am unable to send some heavy attachements.

Speed is awesome otherwise. I am very happy... otherwise did not know how I would wait for another 4 hours before my Bangalore flight!
kryogesh is offline   Reply With Quote