Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th June 2007, 11:35   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Another way to look at it is seeing the jobs it's providing. 600 staff, + countless other people will make a living out of those 6 people.
You just took the words out of my mouth. Look at the bigger picture. While we ooogle at palatial buildings when we go abroad and stare at imported cars here is a man who is living his dream, rather achieving it. And all we can do is comment on it because its on Indian soil. I bet people would have different opinions of Bill Gates or Jenifer Lopez had built something like this somewhere abroad. Just let it be.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 11:42   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another way to look at it is seeing the jobs it's providing. 600 staff...
Most Europeans see it this way too. They know that India is under employed. the employment the construction and maintainaance of this building and it's owners will generate can only fuel the economy. After all the money earned by these employees will also be spent by them.

There are any number of mansions built by the Vanderbuilts, Rockerfellars, Carnegies, etc... in the US that one can also talk aboutl. I wonder if anyone here has visited the Heart "Castle" in San Simeon, CA.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 11:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another way to look at it is seeing the jobs it's providing. 600 staff, + countless other people will make a living out of those 6 people.

All this is relative at the end. Buying a Toyota Corolla can be seen as a waste of money as well to a third person.
Even a 1 crore can provide employment to 600 or even 1000 ppl .. Common guys , i am not saying he shouldnt build it , but 4000 crores . Well at the end its all relative .The one who has the money have the last laugh .
But appreciate the ambanis support (or was it takeover) of some forest to take care of lions over there ,i saw it on TV .

Last edited by black12rr : 4th June 2007 at 11:56.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 12:00   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Even a 1 crore can provide employment to 600 or even 1000 ppl .. Common guys , i am not saying he shouldnt build it , but 4000 crores . Well at the end its all relative .The one who has the money have the last laugh .
But appreciate the ambanis support (or was it takeover) of some forest to take care of lions over there ,i saw it on TV .
Buddy my granny thinks its insane to spend 8L on a car when a M800costs 2.xx? My dad think I am even more insane to spend 3L on modding my car. I would say one is insane to spend 9L on a imported bike when you cant ride her the way she should be. But in the end what matters is whether you can afford it or not. I can see the Ambani's can. So why shouldn't they? Just like you would love to own a black12rr they desire to own such a building. Dont see anything wrong in it at all.
Old 4th June 2007, 12:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Buddy my granny thinks its insane to spend 8L on a car when a M800costs 2.xx? My dad think I am even more insane to spend 3L on modding my car. I would say one is insane to spend 9L on a imported bike when you cant ride her the way she should be. But in the end what matters is whether you can afford it or not. I can see the Ambani's can. So why shouldn't they? Just like you would love to own a black12rr they desire to own such a building. Dont see anything wrong in it at all.
Yes sir thats why I wrote it all relative. Now someone will try to hit above this baseline
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 12:24   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Let him continue to live like a hermit na.. why the sudden need to pay him salary AFTER he retires, at shareholder's expense?
Shareholder's didn't make TCS, it is people like him who did it by spending 30+ years of his life before it went public. Besides, shareholders would bail out at the share at first sign of trouble. Give credit where it is due.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 12:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Shareholder's didn't make TCS, it is people like him who did it by spending 30+ years of his life before it went public. Besides, shareholders would bail out at the share at first sign of trouble. Give credit where it is due.
Sir, I have put 8 precious years of my life in TCS.. Can I have an apartment please? (8/30 == 25%)
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 12:38   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Sir, I have put 8 precious years of my life in TCS.. Can I have an apartment please? (8/30 == 25%)
I too have put 6 years of my precious years to TCS in the 90s. It doesn't depend on the years, it depends on the value you added to the company. What CEOs can do in one year can make or break the company, they can earn an extra billion dollar or bankrupt the company. In case of Ambani or Ramadorai, they have done the former. They deserve the bounty for that reason.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 12:38   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
totally agree with you.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 12:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I too have put 6 years of my precious years to TCS in the 90s. It doesn't depend on the years, it depends on the value you added to the company. What CEOs can do in one year can make or break the company, they can earn an extra billion dollar or bankrupt the company. In case of Ambani or Ramadorai, they have done the former. They deserve the bounty for that reason.
Okk.. then reward the fella RIGHT NOW. Why give them an unconditional golden parachute? What if TCS turns into a loss making company 10 years from now. At that point, they still have to pay this chap while firing people at the same time?

GE had similar arrangement with Jack Welch and it all came out becoz his ex-wife went public during the divorce. GE then had to cancel some of the perks becoz they were clearly not deserving.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 13:02   #41
BANNED

We sure do have a nack for going OT. Samurai, spadival do we have to go into personal issues here? The thread is about Ambani's and this humongous building. I think we can keep the talk about TCS and whether its CEO deserves the perks or not on another thread.
Old 4th June 2007, 13:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Well, what i meant earlier was if i had that kind of money, i wouldn't like to flaunt it in bad taste. I'll do it in style. this is like living in a hotel, IMO.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 13:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_edged View Post

SIX FLOORS FOR PARKING :

The first six floors will be reserved for parking alone, and that too for cars belonging only to Mukesh's family. Space for a total of 168 imported cars has been earmarked here.
Its surprising tht no tbhpian has commented on this....168 cars and 6 floors of parking. I wonder whats in his garage.

Cheers
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 13:23   #44
Team-BHP Support

How would you spend the hypothetical 4000 crores E_L?
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 13:25   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Its surprising tht no tbhpian has commented on this....168 cars and 6 floors of parking. I wonder whats in his garage.

Cheers
Everything that you can dream of owning. Rumours say that it includes a veyron too. But seeing is believing.