Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd May 2008, 13:12   #106
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Such a palatial house, but none of the pictures show any room with proper sunlight? Very British?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:30   #107
Team-BHP Support

Its his money his need, his house. Congratz to him too actually proud of him that he can afford it.

Sorry that i somehow dont get that 'home' feeling seeing the pics, maybe am not exposed to so much of luxury, maybe i dont like his and his architects taste lol. It looks like a overdone hotel to me.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:45   #108
BHPian

Would say it feels nice to see the most expensive house to be coming up in INDIA. That shows where our country is heading. IMHO, it's his money. He should decide what to do with it.

Most of us have been have been waiting for an F1 track and other such things to come up in India. Was just wondering what would be the percentage of Indians who would really be interested in Motor Sports and how much of money would be spent on such a project? As someone said before if this money was distributed amongst the poor wouldn't it help. Even the revenues generated would it reach the poor? Might give a few people jobs till it is built, but after that, for the upkeep, how many poor mouths would it feed?
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:47   #109
Senior - BHPian

How many of you are aware that this building is being built on land that was given as a 'grant' by the government to the Wakf Board for charity?

As usual the Ambanis have made a mockery of law by breaking it and then getting the government in power to 'ratify' it.

There is nothing stopping a man from building his house and he can spend as much as he wants for it. However, these guys have a knack of getting things done under the table to keep costs down - what is the real market value of this land and how many people would have been paid off for this ?

DNA - Mumbai - Temporary relief for Mukesh Ambani - Daily News & Analysis
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:00   #110
BHPian

@Steeroid: Never knew this side of the story and it just isn't nice. This is like robbing from the people. Taking away land which was given away as charity? I take back my previous post (my viewpoint rather) which was in support.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:08   #111
Senior - BHPian

Ambani house row: Waqf Board got Rs 1.6 mn for dea

The Hindu : National : No accountability in Maharashtra Wakf Board transactions

Taipei Times - archives

For a group that built its petrochemical backbone on a series of law-breaking workarounds (which I admired earlier for it made a mockery of the license raj), for a group that made a complete backdoor entry into the Telecom world paying a pittance for license (paid in 2004 at 1994 rates) and has sustained its wealth by leveraging the stock market, I guess this should be a walk in the park.

Add to that their large scale, unashamed theft of International Traffic into India (yes it is theft - we have put people in jail for stuff like this in other countries) - the Ambanis were let off where other organizations involved in the same business (the volume of which was not even a fraction of what Reliance was carrying) were taken to court and jailed.

Still, wouldnt one want the place where he or she lived to be legitimate? What is the point of all that wealth if the place you LIVE in is not free of suspicion?

There are millionaires the world over. There are people who made their money in very dubious ways. However I doubt if any of them actually lived in a house that was also part of a shady deal.

Shame! If this is a sign of India's prosperity then I would be ashamed of my country.

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd May 2008 at 16:14.
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:11   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
For a group that built its petrochemical backbone on a series of law-breaking workarounds (which I admired earlier for it made a mockery of the license raj), for a group that made a complete backdoor entry into the Telecom world paying a pittance for license (paid in 2004 at 1994 rates) and has sustained its wealth by leveraging the stock market, I guess this should be a walk in the park.
What made you change your view?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:16   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And what would you call BSNL's act of charging 10 times more for international calls than it really costs them? VOIP can really bring down the cost of international or even STD calls, but they don't allow it. In USA one can opt for voip landlines at home or business. No such luck in India, government wants to recover their sunk cost from 80s and 90s. Technology allows, government doesn't.

Anybody who runs a private business knows that government loots them both legally (via unfair rules, surcharges and fees) and illegally (via bribes). So when somebody gets ahead despite the government, cheer them. The last speech in the movie Guru really brings it out.
Bravo - you dont mention the fact that Reliance actually pocketed the amount that BSNL would have pocketed otherwise. How does that make them saints?

What difference does it make to you whether you were being robbed by Reliance or by BSNL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
What made you change your view?
Because after the end of the license raj they showed that they havent changed - they still wanted different rules for themselves, different fees to pay. There is a difference between supporting private enterprise in the face of public sector monopoly and private sectory theft of private sectory business.

Why is it that other groups are subject to rules but they think they are above them?

They've crossed the line between bold and arrogant.

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd May 2008 at 16:23.
Old 3rd May 2008, 18:42   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bravo - you dont mention the fact that Reliance actually pocketed the amount that BSNL would have pocketed otherwise. How does that make them saints?
Neither are saints. The only question is who is passing on some of the benefits to end customers.

Quote:
What difference does it make to you whether you were being robbed by Reliance or by BSNL?
If not for Airtel broadband I couldn't have never gotten out of Bangalore. BSNL after overcharging so much, still can't provide broadband for the rural mass. They take 15 days to fix a failed landline, so why should I care about them. Not that I care about Reliance either, their landline/internet service was equally pathetic when I used them.

The Indian government works in a very anti-business mode, somebody let me know if you have experienced otherwise. It is amazing that entrepreneurship in this country actually thrives despite the government. If Reliance has broken laws, that is with lot of help from the government. When government blames Reliance, it is really a case of pot calling the kettle black.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:22   #115
Team-BHP Support

Arent we going OT here, hey all of these guys are in business and wealth generation is part and parcel of it.

Want to question the ethic then we need to open a new thread
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

Heard he started building a helipad at his current residence without a permission being granted by the Govt departments concerned. It seems he has just put in a request, I guess he knows the request will be granted any way.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 09:01   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
He is spending 1/20th of his worth on his primary home. Thats reasonable. Good thing is he is spending the money. Imagine the cascading effect of this. Many architects, civil & other engineers, contruction workers get work.

MA's is not spending from his own pocket ... Though RIL definately is .......

security for antaliia will be provided by ex-mossad
Mad Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 09:29   #118
BHPian

@ Samurai + Steeroid

It is not that BSNL cant do any better. In fact in terms of technology, it is ahead of the private players. It was the first one to introduce streaming live television into mobile phones. It is the private players who give loads under the table to the top government officials/ministry to delay introducing new technology or give efficient services. The private players then take this as an advantage and come up with the product or service first and then after years BSNL will slowly release the same technology.
Schnellster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 12:01   #119
Senior - BHPian

Samurai this is totally off topic - I suggest you move both our posts elsewhere, though I believe you need to see the whole picture.

Quote:
Neither are saints. The only question is who is passing on some of the benefits to end customers.
So who is passing on some of the benefits to the end customers?

If BSNL had high termination rates for calls to India it was because that was their only source of 'Foreign Exchange' in the days gone by. And one could obviously not buy switches or exchanges or telecom equipment with Indian Rupees in those days.

BSNL was not "robbing" anyone - that was the fee they charged.

What Reliance did was to go one better - they robbed BSNL and other International Gateway providers of their legitimate sources of revenue by picking up traffic at slightly cheaper rates than them.

Then they went ahead and robbed the terminating networks (Airtel/Hutch/Idea/other operators) of their legitimate international termination revenues by sending the calls into their networks masked as "National Calls". These were the international calls all of you received with very funny caller IDs or no caller IDs at all.

So they robbed both of them. What did the end customer gain? NOTHING. In fact they lost on service quality with the international calls coming in through vague routes with major quality loss.

Quote:
The Indian government works in a very anti-business mode, somebody let me know if you have experienced otherwise. It is amazing that entrepreneurship in this country actually thrives despite the government. If Reliance has broken laws, that is with lot of help from the government. When government blames Reliance, it is really a case of pot calling the kettle black.
Reliance are not the only company doing business in India. However, they are the only company that wants to do business on their own terms regardless of the laws of the land. That is not ENTREPRENEURSHIP - that is called robbery elsewhere.

When everyone else buys mobile telephony through the bidding process, these guys enter through the back door as a 'fixed' telephone operator.

When 16 GSM operators stand in queue for spectrum that will be released, the CDMA operator that is already hogging spectrum elsewhere decides he is not making enough money from CDMA and wants to enter GSM and therefore spectrum should be given to him before anyone else.

When everyone else buys land to build their house, this guy goes ahead and pataos a charitable trust that has received land as a grant from the government. Was it because he didnt have enough money? NO. Was it because there wasnt enough land to be bought? NOT if the right price was offered.

So what does it teach us? That you should go ahead and break rules even if you have no real need to do so? That you break rules just because you CAN? Not because you have to or are forced to, but its now become a sheer force of habit.

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th May 2008 at 12:08.
Old 4th May 2008, 12:33   #120
Team-BHP Support

Steeroid, I think we are talking completely diferent things and also completely off-topic. I was lamenting about how BSNL/Government isn't allowing IP telephony in India. I am not familar with cellular industry at all. So let's give it a rest.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote