Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th June 2015, 17:10   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Helmet Rule made mandatory in Chennai - a joke ?

While I am glad that this rule is back, I really dont want the cops to harassing the riders on grounds of ISI. I use a LS2 which is as safe, if not better compared to an ISI stamped helmet, and wear it religiously .
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 23:35   #47
BHPian

Was crossing thousand lights yesterday and the helmet shops were busy and crowded. Out of curiosity tried to go in. The shops were full and couldn't even step in. Finally people have realised the seriousness.
But most are particular in buying the cheapest available ones. Those helmets do not even have ISI certifications. This is really bad. People do not value their lives and do not understand the importance of a helmet.
varunanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 14:37   #48
BHPian

I see cops stopping riders without helmets and warning them about the fines from tomorrow.

Its going to be a field day for the cops from tomorrow. Hope they giveout appropriate receits to the offender rather than pocketing the money.
Old 30th June 2015, 17:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Its going to be a field day for the cops from tomorrow. Hope they giveout appropriate receits to the offender rather than pocketing the money.
To be fair to them, its going to be very difficult during peak times. Even today, I find less than 30% of them having a helmet on the entire stretch from Koyambedu to Navalur. That said, the off-peak is going to be their field day, esp if they target the cash cows of non-isi but genuine helmets
Old 1st July 2015, 10:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Oh Yes. Finally, lets hope this gets enforced strictly.

My daughter is 3 years old and there is no helmet available for her size except for the cycling helemts with high density thermocol and no hard PC or FRP support to take the impact, considering motor cycles are driven faster than bicycles.

Is there any solution to this other than not taking her in a two wheeler?
You'd be surprised to know the kind of weird stares that I received when I went looking to buy a helmet for my 4 yr old here in Bangalore. None of the shops had one nor could I find something online.

Finally managed to get one through a cousin from the US.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 10:11   #51
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

I received this text message today:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  65.0 KB

It looks like they're quite serious about enforcing the wearing of helmets. At least for the time being, that is.

I don't know whether this drive is going to get ignorant people to realise the importance of wearing proper helmets in the right manner.

I doubt how effective fines are going to be in the long run.

Last edited by RSR : 1st July 2015 at 10:12.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 10:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
You'd be surprised to know the kind of weird stares that I received when I went looking to buy a helmet for my 4 yr old here in Bangalore. None of the shops had one nor could I find something online.

Finally managed to get one through a cousin from the US.
The same thing happened to me few months back.

One guy asked, why a small kid needs a helmet? Before any of us answered my daughter said she want one as it will be safe when she comes back from school.

Can you PM the details of the helmet you imported. Im not comfortable with my daughter's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I received this text message today:

It looks like they're quite serious about enforcing the wearing of helmets. At least for the time being, that is.

I don't know whether this drive is going to get ignorant people to realise the importance of wearing proper helmets in the right manner.

I doubt how effective fines are going to be in the long run.
Morning I see most people with helmets. very few have ventured without helmets.

I hope this is a sustainable enforcement.

Similarly, I want lane discipline also needs to be enforced and adhered.
Old 1st July 2015, 12:10   #53
BHPian

The 100ft road between Koyambedu and Kathipara junction had almost 80-90 % compliance (for the sake of compliance!!). With quite a few pillion riders also using the helmet. On Ponamallee High road, near Arumbakam, it was the same old story with around 30 - 40% usage. The enforcement was almost NIL during the peak hour. I just saw 1 case being booked.

What is sad is many were just trying to follow the law. You could see a lot of incorrect size, empty shell (ie. no padding inside) and some on the forehead. Then you always have the guys who keep it on the petrol tank, rear view mirror, and a few cases on the rear handle(not sure whats the tech name). Dont know when they would realize that the helmet is really for their safety than being on the right side of the law. I wish the media, social networking sites, messaging apps are used to the fullest to educate the people. I really dont mind seeing some "gory" pictures, if that is the only way people will learn.

I would also like the court to enforce on the lane discipline as well, which should apply to all users of the road.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 1st July 2015 at 12:12.
Old 1st July 2015, 13:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
What is sad is many were just trying to follow the law. You could see a lot of incorrect size, empty shell (ie. no padding inside) and some on the forehead. Then you always have the guys who keep it on the petrol tank, rear view mirror, and a few cases on the rear handle(not sure whats the tech name).
Very True. Saw the same but was happy that atleast everyone is wearing helmet.
Attached Images

klassics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 13:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Good move to ensure all the two wheelers make the helmet! But I think the cops should spend more time on educating the bikers on how to wear a helmet and also the purpose of it. I see so many bikers with helmet, but none of them put the buckle on! Whats the point is just having the lid on and not buckled up!

Offenders should be forced to attend sessions where they can be provided compulsory education on why to wear a helmet. Just fines collected on the road for not wearing a helmet is not going to change anything!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 14:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
Personally I would not suggest to carry a 3 year old child on a bike. It is not safe. And you will not find a helmet that fits her.
Thanks Yusha. I too dont prefer to take her in bike or scooter. Her return trip from school most of the time is in a 2 wheeler. Hence the need for a helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I see so many bikers with helmet, but none of them put the buckle on! Whats the point is just having the lid on and not buckled up!

Offenders should be forced to attend sessions where they can be provided compulsory education on why to wear a helmet. Just fines collected on the road for not wearing a helmet is not going to change anything!
Agree with you, im observing many people wearing helmets without buckling the. They need to be educated.
Old 1st July 2015, 15:52   #57
BHPian

Though in Madurai, its nice to see such initiatives :
‘Yama’ storms junction, spreads word on helmets
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle7369218.ece
Old 1st July 2015, 17:01   #58
BHPian

With Chennai making helmets as mandatory , I heard that the prices of helmets in Bangalore have been Jacked up. How much does a good regular quality ISI marked helmet (ryder , vega etc )cost in Chennai ?
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 17:39   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Though in Madurai, its nice to see such initiatives :
‘Yama’ storms junction, spreads word on helmets
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle7369218.ece
It is relatively difficult to enforce the regulation in towns other than Chennai. Hence such campaigns are needed to create awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
With Chennai making helmets as mandatory , I heard that the prices of helmets in Bangalore have been Jacked up. How much does a good regular quality ISI marked helmet (ryder , vega etc )cost in Chennai ?
A vega with good shell and padding costed around INR 1100.
Old 1st July 2015, 18:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Even in rural places of TN, police(khaki & khaki) were standing at each village enforcing the rule.

At Coimbatore, there were long queues before the automotive spare stores.

And a temple priest was comforting people by 'predicting' that courts will stop the enforcement by evening.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote