Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2007, 19:07   #1
BHPian

Helmet Rule made mandatory in Chennai - a joke ?

I was among the few guys in Chennai who felt happy at the Govt's decision to make helmets mandatory for all two wheeler rider's (pillion riders as well) from 1st June.

I thought the idiots who refuse to wear helmets will have no choice now but to safeguard their heads....

I now cant help feeling frustrated at the scene on the roads....

8 out of 10 people riding 2 wheelers now do have helmets on their heads....but 6 out these 8 have the helmet straps dangling down their necks not fastened as they should be...

the other day i saw a man on a Max 100 with an open face helmet "placed" on his head the other way round (a-la US cap style). This guy also gets scot free past the cops who stand eagle eyed waiting for bald heads (guys without helmets i mean)

and then there's this guy who rides with even the plastic cover on his helmet unpacked (including the visor mind you), unstrapped of course !

whom are these guys trying to fool ? dont they realize that an unfastened helmet is only as good as an earthern pot over their heads ?

the cops had issued strict instructions that no one on a 2 wheeler without a helmet would be spared and this specifically included women & children.

The same cops are now helpless as the Govt has issued a "recommendation" to them so as "not to harrass the public in the name of enforcing the law". The next instant you have the violators arguing with the cops reminding them of the Government's "new order"

The same Govt has now also relaxed the rule of helmets for women & children (as if their lives werent important) for "convenience" sake

wish i could do this if my head didnt hurt....
Old 7th June 2007, 00:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post

wish i could do this if my head didnt hurt....
use your helmet.

seriously speaking, human life is not valued in india as much as in western countries. including one's own life.

weird shape of well oiled hair and machoistic ego take a much higher priority.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very frustrating indeed, slipstream. i also thought that some sense was started to prevail, but the CMs statements after that have really spoilt the initial effort.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:15   #4
BHPian

"not wearing helmets was dangerous to them but now with helmets on they are dangerous to us." Almost everyday these blind bats with helmets(blind because thay have never worn the helmets and never used rear view mirrors on their bikes) hit or almost scratch my baby(my lancer). When they cross the road or take a turn they are at their most dangerous because they dont use the mirrors on the bikes and if they try turning to look for any traffic they are blinded by the helmet. The two wheeler species have become my most hated species in the last few days after the helmets have been made mandatory. By the time I reach my destination I lose half the hair on my head.

moral of the story: govt. should also make rear view mirrors mandatory on two wheelers.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:15   #5
BHPian

Quite common down here at hyderabad too. My friend does it himself! Popping in a helmet without the strap. Had to educate him and ride myself strapping my helmet on.

Another problem, unbranded helmets....the footpath ones! Risking life with 300-400bucks, whom do they want to fool?
Old 7th June 2007, 11:10   #6
BHPian

Well its not different in Bangalore too, see everyday about 8-10 guys/girls not wearing helmets, instead they are on their hands dangling, seems to be a new fashion statment. The cops just look the other way.

Mera bharath Mahan.
Old 7th June 2007, 14:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
6 out these 8 have the helmet straps dangling down their necks not fastened as they should be.
Nothing new about that. 9 out of 10 riders in Mumbai do that. Most cops don't wear helmets and the ones that do, ride with their straps dangling. Where does one start?!
Old 7th June 2007, 14:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
moral of the story: govt. should also make rear view mirrors mandatory on two wheelers.
I think it is mandatory. Otherwise they would be provided as "optional" features on two wheelers.

I remember not many years back, cops in Bangalore would stop you and they themselves would sit in the rider's seat and check that the rear view mirrors are actually positioned correctly.
Old 7th June 2007, 14:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think wearing seatbelts/helmets will catch on very slowly. I see that more people are strapped in/wearing helmets than before. When I started driving on a regular basis in the late 90's, I used to be one of the very few who used to strap up. Not many cars even had a seat belt !! Nowadays its better. People are more informed and its getting better all the time. Same with helmets.

I find that ignorance is one of the primary contributing factors.

There will still be idiots who don't want to do it. God save them.
Old 7th June 2007, 14:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

It should be made mandatory. The same happened in Bangy and cops makes each day! and so did the helmet shop owners. Now no one cares about the rule which is very bad.
Old 7th June 2007, 15:31   #11
BHPian

I've seen people wear all manner of headgear and try to pass it off as a helmet. Yellow or white hard-hats of the type worn by construction workers are common, as are bicycle helmets. The most ridiculous sight was a guy on a scooter wearing a horse-riding helmet
Old 7th June 2007, 16:52   #12
Team-BHP Support

How about wearing cricket helmets?
Old 7th June 2007, 17:02   #13
BHPian

These guys are all suffering from the 'It can't happen to me' syndrome. They think that the rule is just to make riding uncomfortable for them, not realising the importance of it.
Old 7th June 2007, 18:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

How about this.... a guy wearing the full face helmet in such a way that the chin part is on his head and the visor open to cool whatever brain is left of him. Seen it few times in Hyd.

Could be he felt it convenient that way so that he can merrily use the mobile phone when riding.
Old 7th June 2007, 18:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
How about wearing cricket helmets?

You are in serious trouble of people mistaking you for sachin looking for a better job. refrain, please.

Most Viewed