Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 8th November 2008, 14:23   #1891
evo
BHPian

Default Quantum of Solace review

Heres my review from
AutoPlug | Vroom Vroom! India's first car blog.

Bond without Astons, and without the Bondness!

Where are the Astons?

Watched the new Bond flick yesterday- Quantum of Solace. It left me very hungry for a real Bond movie! The Bond that we know is gone, replaced by a new, metro sexual version! He cries, he feels sad about one woman, incidentally named Vespa (Like the scooter). He doesn’t go to bed with every woman he see`s. He is very strange and un BOND like.

However, what is most shocking is that the Aston Martin is only used in the first car chase. A brilliantly executed chase marred by too much sound of things crashing into each other. Here you have the sole Aston and a dozen Alfa Romeo`s getting smashed. But after that, no more Astons. What you get to see is the Pretty Young Thing zipping about in a Ford Ka with its version of the graphics on the ugly Mahindra Scorpio Mhawk. The PYT also drives around in a battered VW Beetle around Bolivia.

Once again, no Astons! A recent Bond movie without Astons is stunningly bad! What you do get to see the most is the new Ford Edge that the so called Villain uses to get to various improbable locales. It seems that the Edge is the car star of this Bond Flick. A shame really, a Ford being the star!

More cars from the erstwhile Ford stable like the big Jaguar and the Range Rover Sport also have little cameos.

For those of you who don’t know about the incestuous relationships that exist in the automotive world, Ford used to own Aston Martin, Jaguar and Land Rover along with Ford (obviously), Mercury and a stake in Mazda.

However, with the crazy financial mess that Ford found itself in, last year, they decided to start dismantling this big “Family”. As such, Aston Martin was sold to a bunch of Kuwaiti investors and Jaguar and Land Rover were sold to the Indian auto giant Tata Motors!

As such, Ford which had paid big bucks for a three picture deal, must have bullied the studio into cutting out the scenes where the erstwhile Ford owned cars were present, and instead had them replaced with the Ford “Ford” cars.

However, bottom line is , they don’t make them Bond Movies no more. Shucks.

What do you think about the new Astonless, precision less Bond?
Old 8th November 2008, 16:36   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
...He cries, he feels sad about one woman, incidentally named Vespa (Like the scooter)
Vesper. Vesper Lynd.
Old 8th November 2008, 19:16   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo
Aston Martin was sold to a bunch of Kuwaiti investors
Isn't it owned by Prodrive now?
Old 8th November 2008, 19:19   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Vesper. Vesper Lynd.
well that must be the name when written but when you speak "R" is silent.
So it will definitely sound like Vespa
Old 8th November 2008, 19:35   #1895
BHPian

Just watched 3 movies today,

1. Wall-E - Very cute movie and a fun refreshing movie. A must watch. 4/5

2. Kung Fu Panda - I expected something more because of the hype it had created in me. Its a nice funny movie, a good TP one. Would recommend it. 3.5/5

3. Taken - Now this movie is just fabulous! I downloaded it after seeing the ratings on imdb and the plot seemed interesting. A girl gets taken in women trafficing and her dad who worked for the govt before, using his skills hunts down his daughter and saves her. The pace is quick, adrenaline rushing, keeps you glued to your chair, action packed, well plotted, awesome must watch movie! Pierre Morel's performance is splendid! Guys, dont miss this. I dint find any flaw or hiccup in this, so its 4.5/5
Old 8th November 2008, 22:58   #1896
BHPian

watched QOS awesome movie. not like older bond flicks.. so many gadgets and a fool who sleeps with all the women he sees. sheesh. this one is raw vengence!! this bond kills and he likes doing it too.

in fact for the first time this bond doesnt introduce himself as bond..james bond!. its got a good script and yes deals with current oil issue..and the back stabbing between CIA and british secret service!! more towards the reality side. thank goodness this bond didnt blow off the alfa romeos using stinger missiles from the back. hehe

rating 4/5
Old 9th November 2008, 00:42   #1897
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Watched QOS - wasn't bad at all.

Wasn't like the earlier Bond movies with overwhelming action, but was a very well made movie.

Story line wasn't around as scandalous a villain as the earlier ones and loses its fizz by the end.

Overall a Good movie - 4/5
Old 9th November 2008, 10:17   #1898
Senior - BHPian

Going to watch QOS today afternoon (will be my first theatre outing in Singapore & first theatre outing in the last 4 years!!!).

From few of the responses here, not sure if I am going to like what I am going to see!
Old 9th November 2008, 16:45   #1899
BHPian

Smile

Just saw QOS - its ok but nowhere near as good as the earlier ones. The only redeeming fact is it has a good meaningful story.
I would rate it 3/5 at best
Old 9th November 2008, 17:57   #1900
Senior - BHPian

QOS - ok! Seems like any other movie (and felt like a Vijayakanth, the Tamil movie actor, movie at some point!!!) Never felt the "Bond" effect.

Just 2.5/5 ; skip this if you are not too 'ga ga ga' about James Bond!
Old 9th November 2008, 18:24   #1901
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw Fashion & QOS last week.

Fashion- Pathetic movie, very predictable story line & lacks the typical Madhur Bhandarkar type of story telling.

QOS- Excellant movie brilliant stunts engrossing story Butttt It does not have what you expect from a Bond movie.
- No gadgets(may be since its just the 2nd Bond Movie technically)
- No womanizing - whatever was shown was too little for Bond
- Daniel Craig lacks the charm of Pierce Brosnan & earlier Bonds he is more on Brutish side as others said
- He doesnt say Bond, James Bond :(

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th November 2008 at 18:50.
Old 9th November 2008, 18:46   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Watched Quantum of Solace today and liked it. I never did like the earlier Bond movies - I found them too artificial and kind of demeaning to women. Daniel Craig has a different type of intensity - more human than over the top. Frankly I feel the lesser the number of gadgets the better it is.

3.75/5 - would have been a 4 if there were more cars.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:28   #1903
BHPian

I quite liked the QOS, though agreed its not a typical bond flick.
Hardly any gadgets save for the SE mobile.

I guess its the Bond of the new times, closer to reality?

4 out of 5 from me!
Old 9th November 2008, 20:56   #1904
BHPian

Smile

just saw EMI its a good movie for first half about loans and emi and recovery but kinda gets tp after interval. worth a watch once though, if you have nothing else to watch
i would rate it 2.75/5
Old 10th November 2008, 01:19   #1905
BHPian

Thumbs up

ended the weekend with this movie called "pathology" - really nice movie, not for the faint hearted - i would rate it 4.5/5
Here's the description if anyone is interested in watching it
"Harvard Medical School graduate Dr. Ted Grey arrives at one of the nations most prestigious Pathology programs and is quickly noticed by the program's privileged and elite band of pathology interns who invite him into their crowd. It is also here, where he is introduced to Dr. Jake Gallo, who brings him to a secluded wing, where he and four other indulge in there after-hours, extra-curricular activities...finding ways to commit the perfect murder!"
Closed Thread