Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 23rd March 2008, 15:18   #841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Finished watching "Vanishing Point" once again after a long, long time. What a movie for car aficionados & gives you some good social commentary about 70's America too! Like the Queers expecting the driver to be laughing even when he's not & the treatment meted out to the black DJ.

But most of all it severely rekindled my desire to own a V8 Charger/Challenger/Daytona!! Man gotta love that V8 soundtrack!
..true!! and them friends of the female variety in the flick are not bad either. wotsay!?
Old 23rd March 2008, 15:24   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
..true!! and them friends of the female variety in the flick are not bad either. wotsay!?
Yup, yup! Some guys have all the luck!
Old 23rd March 2008, 18:25   #843
BANNED

I watched 'Into the Wild'. Well made movie and I agree with what the Alaskan Park Ranger Peter Christian has to say:

“I am exposed continually to what I will call the ‘McCandless Phenomenon.’ People, nearly always young men, come to Alaska to challenge themselves against an unforgiving wilderness landscape where convenience of access and possibility of rescue are practically nonexistent […] When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn’t even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he [had] had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
Its about Christopher McCandells, who donates his savings to charity and sets out on an adventure to Alaska, alone. Its about his experience on his way there. Beautiful picturization and awesome dialogues, and its a real life story.
I didn't know anything about the person or the book. So the climax was a bit of shock for me.

Last edited by diabloo : 23rd March 2008 at 18:29.
Old 23rd March 2008, 18:33   #844
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I would like to start a petition to ban this movie on the grounds that it hurts the sentiments of automobile lovers. They destroy a Jeep Classic and a Vintage Classic in a very banal manner. The bawa (played by Asrani) who owned the Vintage classic is heartbroken, reminded me of our own Karl.

I mean, if period movies can be banned for alleged historical inconsistencies which nobody can prove, why not ban it where proof is in the movie itself?
Samurai, imagine how many heart attacks Addy must have suffered. In every other movie a Contessa is destroyed.
Old 23rd March 2008, 23:53   #845
Senior - BHPian

Recent viewings:

1. One Missed Call - Extremely poor copy of (what I presume) a decent Japanese horror movie. This one is pathetic. No real scares or chills. Just mindless gores and forced, predictable horror/thrills.

2. 2 Days In Paris - Nice comedy movie, however, I couldn't enjoy it fully as the DVD Rip that I had downloaded was in French and with no English subtitles

3. After Sex - A decent movie made in a documentary format, which tries to explore the relationships and mindsets of different couples, in various stages of their relationships.

4. Sex and Breakfast - Another movie set on similar lines, in which couples experiment with anonymous group sex as a way to revitalize their troubled relationships. Through the experience they come to realize the factors affecting their relationships. However, I found it sort of incomplete and poorly directed.

5. Assault on Precinct 13 - A movie that could have been a great hit, given that it should have been directed and edited well enough. Nonetheless, a decent watch and good timepass

6.Knocked Up - A sweet romantic comedy about two completely opposite people who are 'forced' to come together due to a one night stand and how they overcome their shortcomings to make it work

7. The Heartbreak Kid - Another great Farrelly Brother's comedy starring Ben Stiller. Typicalof their movies, leave your mind at home (or somewhere else) and just kill your time with this stupid comedy

8. American History X - Ed Norton gives another stellar performance in this must watch movie. It tries to explore the fanatic behavior of fundamentalists and one guy's transformation, as he tries to save his younger brother fromtreading on the wrong path that he chose. A must watch!

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 23rd March 2008 at 23:59.
Old 24th March 2008, 00:40   #846
BHPian

A couple of movies from my side:

1) Collateral - Tom Cruise & Jamie Fox. James is a cab driver who is too shy in life to take the first step for anything, be it a vacation he wants to take or ask a pretty girl for a phone number. Tom is a professional hitman who kills the person he is paid money for and does not care whether the person is good or bad. Rents james's cab for the night to make a whole set of kills and the fun begins. An amazing movie with a hint of Karma and amazing music - specially the track in the Club from Paul Oakenfold.

2) Equilibrium - In the future, having emotions is a crime. Being individualistic is a crime. Everyone is equal (Literally) and no one has any emotions. This is to resolve the problem of hate and war and fighting and disaster. But is a world without any emotions worth living?

You must take a shot of medicine (provided by the government) everyday to prevent having emotions and anyone who has emotions or pets or any sort of animal is a criminal and is to be killed on sight or burnt alive in a furnace. The story goes of how a rebel group is trying to overturn the supply of medicine from the government just for a day so that once everyone knows what emotions and attachment to things and people is, emotions may rule once again.

The movie revolves around the central character of a highly ranked officer who has the skill to combat an army due to special moves taught to him. His contact with his partner who embraces emotion and whom he kills and then another encounter with a "criminal" whose husband he knew changes him for the better and he helps the rebel in making their plan successful. The movie does have a twist in the end when he realises that he has been duped by the government but that is when the real fighting begins

Hey, i should be a critic, i dint know i type such good reviews, even if i do say so myself
Many more reviews to come in the future people, now that i have found my new found hobby as a movie critic.

Last edited by Xehaust : 24th March 2008 at 00:44.
Old 24th March 2008, 15:18   #847
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Watched Race. Was a decent movie with the pace picking up as the movie goes. Too many twists in the movie. Loved SAMEERA but dont talk about her role here!! The last car chase was ridiculous with people drifting without brakes! How can they do that we got to ask abbas or saif. The way they rip the porsche on the mud road had me cursing them.
One question i would like to ask. These two were broke and had all their properties mortgaged but how could they have such a lifestyle and also bet 4 million on a horse ???? Well somethings can never be answered
Old 24th March 2008, 15:24   #848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
These two were broke and had all their properties mortgaged but how could they have such a lifestyle and also bet 4 million on a horse ????
Zimple.... because they are hereos

Anything coming up this Friday ?
Old 24th March 2008, 15:24   #849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
These two were broke and had all their properties mortgaged but how could they have such a lifestyle and also bet 4 million on a horse ????
If you start asking yourself such questions so seriously. There are very bright chances of you becoming insane!
Old 24th March 2008, 15:25   #850
Team-BHP Support

Wow maddy you are looking for Logic in a Bollywood movie
Its better if you look for a needle in a haystack, since there is more change of finding one.
Old 24th March 2008, 22:55   #851
Senior - BHPian

Default Requiem for a Dream

Just finished "Requiem for a Dream". A very thought provoking, albeit disturbing movie. Overall a low budget production, it tells the story of 4 people - a mother, her son, his friend and his girlfriend who get into drug/substance abuse and wreck their otherwise normal lives. I was impressed by the film making style, which included varying camera speeds, loop editing and a very haunting background score.

Not really recommended for weekend viewing, but more as an art movie.
Old 24th March 2008, 23:01   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Just finished "Requiem for a Dream". A very thought provoking, albeit disturbing movie. Overall a low budget production, it tells the story of 4 people - a mother, her son, his friend and his girlfriend who get into drug/substance abuse and wreck their otherwise normal lives. I was impressed by the film making style, which included varying camera speeds, loop editing and a very haunting background score.

Not really recommended for weekend viewing, but more as an art movie.
Ohh man that was a really crazy movie. If you liked that watch Anurag Kashyap's No Smoking. Another crazy movie. Theres a lot to that movie that I didnt understand but still enjoyed it overall.

I saw There will be blood a few days ago and found it allright. Not too good, not too bad.

Last edited by khanak : 24th March 2008 at 23:04.
Old 25th March 2008, 08:58   #853
BHPian

Default Some more good ones

Couple of great relaxing non "Hollywood Blockbuster type" comedies.

Sideways: Two friends go on a relaxed week-long drive to spend the last bachelor week together since one of them is to get married.
One is on a wine tasting spree and the other wants to get laid before getting married.

My Cousin Vinny: Two teenage friends get framed for a murder in a rustic sleepy town, and their only hope lies in an attorney who took 6 yrs to clear the bar exam.
Old 25th March 2008, 21:25   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
My Cousin Vinny: Two teenage friends get framed for a murder in a rustic sleepy town, and their only hope lies in an attorney who took 6 yrs to clear the bar exam.
I must have seen this movie atleast 50 times on Star Movies but it still cracks me up. Begun downloading for instant gratification.
Old 26th March 2008, 05:15   #855
Senior - BHPian

Goodfellas - Supposed to be one of the greatest gangster movies out there but to be honest I found Scarface a bit better. Definatly a good movie though.

Race - What a waste of time!!! The movie had some nice cars though.
Closed Thread