Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 14:38   #1066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
What are you saying! Shyamalan makes brilliant movies... Looking forward to his new one in june.
He does, but in a few of his movies - he could have done a gazillion times better. The sixth sense was no doubt an awsumm movie, can't say the same for the village and signs. Of course, we don't expect a film maker to produce hit after hit but seriously, IMHO The village and signs should have had more substance to them. I'm looking forward to his movies too, hoping he can re-create some of his magic from the past.
Old 12th May 2008, 16:09   #1067
BHPian

Saw "Jumper" and i think it's an excellent movie. Though some people might not like it all that much but it kept me interested. Loved it. And it made for a great 2nd movie after seeing a great movie - Iron Man So 2 excellent movies in one day and my day was oh so lovely

It's about teleportation (in simple english - people who can go from one place to another in an instant - eg. one moment in paris, the next second in egypt).
Old 12th May 2008, 16:24   #1068
BHPian

Watched "Dahan" a bangla movie with english sub titles, even though I don't understand bangla, the sub titles and the tone with some english thrown in helped, the movie is so touching .... even after watching the movie, it left me pondering why our society is becoming so ... indifferent, careless and selfish. A must watch film I'd say

Also, watched "Coach Carter" ... a nice movie....I'm sure Chak De was inspired by this movie ...overall a nice movie.
Old 12th May 2008, 21:04   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Namesake - tonight at 11.05 PM

Guys,

Star Movies is playing namesake again tonight at 11.05 PM. Those who missed it can see it again. Worth watching I would say.
Old 12th May 2008, 21:17   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post
He does, but in a few of his movies - he could have done a gazillion times better. The sixth sense was no doubt an awsumm movie, can't say the same for the village and signs. Of course, we don't expect a film maker to produce hit after hit but seriously, IMHO The village and signs should have had more substance to them. I'm looking forward to his movies too, hoping he can re-create some of his magic from the past.
Somehow Village didn't entice me. Neither did Signs when i saw it for the first time at a cinema. And then I was zapped when I watched it for the second time on TV. There are so many tiny details which add so much to the movie to complete it.
M.Night Shyamalan born in Mahe,Pondicherry is a great,talented,gifted movie maker. I realised this after watching every single one of his movies.
Watch his movies twice or thrice to take in every single detail that adds up to the beautiful image Shyamalan makes.
Old 12th May 2008, 22:26   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Watched Cloverfield yesterday.......although it had all the elements of a typical monster movie (giant monster/creature attacking a city) but still it was different.
The handheld camera thingy was cool plus the ending was different as well.
Old 13th May 2008, 01:56   #1072
Senior - BHPian

I've liked Shyamalan's Sixth Sense & Signs a lot & found Unbreakeable to be decent too. But yes the Village etc. were not up to the mark.

However, seeing what he's capable of, I still don't put it past him to churn out some more classics.

Last edited by iraghava : 13th May 2008 at 01:58.
Old 13th May 2008, 03:49   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
The handheld camera thingy was cool
This actually gave me a headache. Apart from that, it was a decent one.
Old 13th May 2008, 16:06   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Somehow Village didn't entice me. Neither did Signs when i saw it for the first time at a cinema. And then I was zapped when I watched it for the second time on TV. There are so many tiny details which add so much to the movie to complete it.
M.Night Shyamalan born in Mahe,Pondicherry is a great,talented,gifted movie maker. I realised this after watching every single one of his movies.
Watch his movies twice or thrice to take in every single detail that adds up to the beautiful image Shyamalan makes.
He's a gifted film maker, no doubt, but I donno what he was thinking while making the Village and Lady in the water (maybe he wasn't thinking). Again, I'm not targetting a film maker, but a movie. Signs is "watchable" at most, but definitely not a must-watch like the Sixth Sense or A beautiful mind. Lady in the Water is laughable!! Disney wouldn't make it because they were "highly critical" of the script - it went on to win 4 Golden Raspberry Award nominations (Awards saluting the worst Hollywood has to offer).

Unbreakable is another movie that comes to mind, it's a good watch.
Old 16th May 2008, 20:49   #1075
Senior - BHPian

JANNAT

Verdict 1/5. Utter crap and absolutely avoidable.

The leading lady makes the worst debut ever I have seen in an hindi movie. Emraan Hashmi is very ordinary. Music is just average. A couple of cars are eye candy like the LR stretch.
Old 17th May 2008, 08:58   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Kya Re Gautam - I was going to watch Jannat with wifey today !! There goes my weekend - No wait a sec, Koi aur scene banata hoon
Old 17th May 2008, 09:47   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Kya Re Gautam - I was going to watch Jannat with wifey today !! There goes my weekend - No wait a sec, Koi aur scene banata hoon
Watch the Chronicles of Naryna. They have given it a rating of 4/5
Old 17th May 2008, 10:49   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Saw Jannat yesterday night. Nothing close to anything about the cricket controversies. Corny dialogues with Hashmi taking a dig at some cricket players including Sidhu. Everything in the movie is unbeliveable. The lead actress looks cute but that ends there. There is nothing else worth saying about her especially her acting skills. Everything is just so predictable. And yes whats a Hashmi movie without some kissing and a bed scene.

Lesson to learn: The way to a chick's heart is to break a jewellery showroom glass for her when you first see her
Old 17th May 2008, 12:42   #1079
Team-BHP Support

Watched Narnia. It was as bad as bhootnath. Such a slow movie, and horrendous acting. The lead characters don't even know how to hold swords. Looks like they unlearned whatever they learnt in part 1.
The movie for most of this duration is walking through the forest. No adventure, nothing.
Then poof, it just finishes with little action.
Old 18th May 2008, 13:12   #1080
BHPian

Saw Meet Joe Black yesterday. Comepletely different from anything I have seen. Very enjoyable indeed.

Saw Miller's Crossing as well. Was nice but not great as IMDB suggests. Maybe that's because I didint have subtitles.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed