Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th June 2007, 15:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Speed Guns in Kolkata to Check Speeding - Watch out guys!

A taxi driver entered the pages of the Calcutta police history book when he was booked for speeding through the Maidan on Wednesday afternoon. His was the first vehicle to be shot down with a Speed Gun on city streets.
This was just a test case, but the city’s traffic police is armed to take a big tech leap, with sophisticated laser guns trained on speed devils.

Details - The Telegraph, Calcutta - Metro

guys - you better watch out for the cops. i once said that there are no speed gun / radars in Kolkata (the thread started by Suman after he got nailed - Street Experiences Section) - i was wrong. after i read the article, i almost panicked and thought of letting you guys know about this. please take care and drive safe. let us know of what you guys think.

@ shuvd (with the Silver Bullet)- better watch out bro

Roads to avoid: Strand Road, Red Road, Vidyasagar Setu, EM ByPass and BT Road. may be they are testing it, but i am sure they will be here soon.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 7th June 2007 at 15:52.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 15:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

hmm, thats unfortunate.
anyway, this system is fair only if they post the speed limits very clearly. "rash and negligent" or "fast" driving are purely subjective terms.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 16:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
this system is fair only if they post the speed limits very clearly. "rash and negligent" or "fast" driving are purely subjective terms.
Agree with u buddy, but who will tell them that. All they care for is how much they can squeeze out of your pocket.
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 12:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dumb M*&^%$#@!()*&....
@ planet - guess I'll have to get one of those radar detectors. Or those number plate stickers that reflect the light and shows a blank plate. Had those on my uk rides.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 12:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

@shuvd - get in touch with 1100D. i think he will buying one from Texas for his ikon. may be he can get one for you as well. or, you can do onething - for midnite run ask someone to do a nazardari of the red rd / ajc flyover (or you can do it by yourself - before actually doing it).

since the speed limit in EM Bypass is 60KPH, even i will get caught in my Padmini. "kya zamana aa giya?"
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 17:18   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the information. Another potential trap zone could be the AJC Bose Rd flyover. Will have to think twice now before doing 100+ on the flyover. Its ridiculous to have 60kph limit on the EMB. I think I will also have to get those number plates stickers now!!
Saurabh M is online now   Reply With Quote