Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd June 2007, 21:34   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Garuda Mall - Watch your step

June 1st Afternoon

My neighbour, a 60+ old woman goes shopping in Gardua Mall along with her grandchildren. Tries to call driver but his phone is cut off, so she goes into the basement parking. Pathetically lit, the car park has drainage channels which are covered by crude covers like a cattle grid, only a little wider.

Unfortunately, you can't figure out the floor and the these channels, she steps into one and wrenches her foot and is in agony. Parking attendants don't give a damn. She somehow call the driver, he puts her in the car and rushes to hospital. Result, multiple francture, two weeks in a hospital, operations, now confined to a walker and a bill of Rs one lakh.

Today Evening

Park in Level 2, walk to the lift and I see a crowd, peer over and see a little girl, foot through the channel upto her thigh. She was calm but obviously scared as she had vomited in fright. Her mum was distraught. I told her this had happened before and gave her my card in case she wanted more info. The guards were using a hacksaw on the grid (made of re-inforced steel!).

I was seething and felt absolutely helpless. Call police ? No use, Garuda stands for Garudachar - ex chief of police - fat chance. So I rang a friend who gave me a contact in the press.

I rang this person and briefed her. 10 min later, I got a call back from the Bangalore Mirror asking me to describe everrything and also for contact details of my neighbour. They rang her and kept calling me for full details and thoroughly crosschecking.

I returned an hour lter to find that the area had been cleaned up as if nothing happened.

Apparently, it is going to be featured.

A strange reality dawned, for justice/ redressal, one goes to the Press, not the police.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 21:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Yup know about that. i always make it a point to tell my mother to watch the grills while walking. The garuda mall parking gutter grills have really large gaps.

It's also very confusing to reach the mall from the parking lot.

Hope your neighbour is fine as well as the poor little girl.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 21:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A strange reality dawned, for justice/ redressal, one goes to the Press, not the police.
I realized that just a few years back. This was when a few kids in J.P. Nagar, Bengaluru were bitten by stray dogs 4 years back. Then my dad got bitten by another crazy dog during his morning walk. He tried calling Corporation, Police, and submitted many written complaints. The dog menace was noticed only when the press started covering the stories.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 22:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oh, it's owned by an ex-cop, eh? No wonder they expect us to pay 60 bucks for public parking.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 07:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Report is there is today's Bangalore Mirror. Cover page. Good job, Ajmat.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 08:01   #6
BHPian

The garuda mall's parking space is poorly designed compared to the Forum mall with the incoming and the outgoing 4 wheelers criss crossing each other. Hope it hasnt caused any discomfort/ accidents.
The movement is also a bit congested.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 08:52   #7
BHPian

Good job Ajit.

If its ok, can you share that "bangalore mirror" no here?!?!
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 09:55   #8
Team-BHP Support

Good work there Ajit! Lets have a link or scan of the article.

Also, why is safety just flatly ignored in this country! It wouldn't have cost the builder anything more to get the correct drain covers.

Quote:
Problem is, this can work against people at times too! Its obvious that the press can influence the judiciary!

Last edited by Rtech : 23rd June 2007 at 10:00.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 10:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great work Ajmat ! Will check out the story on the web edition of the Mirror.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 10:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Good job Ajmat. May we please see a scan of the article here. I am most interested.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 10:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well done Ajmat. Thats a very nice thing to do. How about a linky or a scanned image of the story out here?
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Its published in the Bangalore Mirror, today front page.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
The garuda mall's parking space is poorly designed compared to the Forum mall with the incoming and the outgoing 4 wheelers criss crossing each other. Hope it hasnt caused any discomfort/ accidents.
The movement is also a bit congested.
Garuda mall is one of the most badly designed malls I have ever been to. Moving from one floor to another is a big pain. Lifts are too cramped and staircases are inaccessible most of the time. I wonder what will be the situation if there is a need for emergency evacuation. People will be forced to run into the car parking space, if they manage to reach that door. I never prefer to go there.

Forum is much more airy and has a fairly big well in the middle with enough escalatros, staircases and lifts.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 13:25   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Garuda mall is one of the most badly designed malls I have ever been to..
It is a car park adapted by political frontmen into a mall. It is quite scary if you think too hard when going there

Will try nd get a scan done mid week, am away from office till weds
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 14:05   #15
BHPian

That is one really nice step you have taken as a responsible citizen ajmat. If we can get a dozen more concerned citizens like you in every city it would be great.

Way to go buddy.
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote