Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th July 2007, 16:09   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Question Converting VHS into DVD. Worth it?

Hi all,

Was wondering if it's worthwhile converting VHS (video cassette) recordings into DVD as i have a huge collection of TV programmes that were taped here in India and abroad.

My local dvd guy charges 300 bucks per conversion (for a dvd of 3 hrs) which i found to be VERY expensive. I wanted to check if any of you have done any such conversions.

What are the pro's and con's? Does the conversion affect the quality of the recorded content? any suggestions?

Please do not suggest converting to vcd as it turns out that i have a huge collection of vhs tapes and conversion to dvd is more desirable.

Looking forward to some replies. thanks everyone.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 16:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Question is.. Are you actually going to watch those TV programs again???

I would reserve DVD conversion for family/home video stuff that were recorded on VHS, so that fungus doesnt eat them away.

The quality would vary on what setup the DVD person uses. Ask him to demo the stuff he has done already (for other customers).
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 20:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

VHS has a high resolution and better quality pictures than a VCD hence it is always recommended to go for a DVD conversion than a VCD conversion. Yes you need to keep in mind parameters you set up for DVD recording should be of medium to high quality.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote