Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 14:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,138
Thanked: 1,897 Times
Default

Vijay Mallya is worth 1.2 Billion
The owner of the R8, RR coupe,RR phantom,etc etc are worth $2.7 Billion !
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 17:07   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,663
Thanked: 3,130 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Vijay Mallya is worth 1.2 Billion
The owner of the R8, RR coupe,RR phantom,etc etc are worth $2.7 Billion !
Who are they ? or, Who is it ?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 17:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,383 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Interestingly, Vijay Mallya is nowhere on the list and yet he's the only one who lives the life of a billionaire.
He's also the only one who is going to die knowing that he enjoyed his life and money and just hasn't left a paper fortune for his children to fight over.

I admire and respect people like Vijay Mallya and Richard Branson. One life! Full Power!!
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 17:27   #19
BHPian
 
appuchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangy
Posts: 641
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Interestingly, Vijay Mallya is nowhere on the list and yet he's the only one who lives the life of a billionaire.
Vijay Mallya is #962 and his international high flying counterpart Richard Branson. is at #236 in the world ranking
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 22:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,663
Thanked: 3,130 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
He's also the only one who is going to die knowing that he enjoyed his life and money and just hasn't left a paper fortune for his children to fight over.

I admire and respect people like Vijay Mallya and Richard Branson. One life! Full Power!!
Absolutely !! Couldnt agree with you more.

Sometimes I feel like laughing at people like Azim Premji and Narayan Murthy. They are rich beyond their wildest dreams, but for what ? To be driven around in a Toyota Corolla and an Innova ?

Sheeesh

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 7th March 2008 at 22:30.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 06:04   #21
BHPian
 
Centro-P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 66
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
Absolutely !! Couldnt agree with you more.

Sometimes I feel like laughing at people like Azim Premji and Narayan Murthy. They are rich beyond their wildest dreams, but for what ? To be driven around in a Toyota Corolla and an Innova ?

Sheeesh

Aaah but I think that's exactly how they became so rich in the first place. They know the value of money. If they didn't and if they spent it as soon as they got an extra buck in their pocket, they wouldn't be so rich. And Mallaya, didn't he get his money from his dad, maybe that's why he spends it like crazy, not that there is anything wrong with it. Otoh Premji and Murthy made it themselves. So they are a bit more conservative with it.
Centro-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 10:14   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

@centro-P: agree with you there. I have always wondered why I never wanted to buy shares of the UB group, but was always considering (still am - that is a different story) buying shares of Infosys. Got the answer from Narayana Murthy himself:-

(quoting NR)
When I go on a business tour, my expenses are paid for by Infosys. But when take my wife along, I have to take a double room, and I always pay the difference between costs of a single room and double room to the company.
(endquote)

In case of UB, the company will have to foot the bill for lipstick used by the PYTs hanging on VM's arms.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 12:28   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,663
Thanked: 3,130 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P View Post
Aaah but I think that's exactly how they became so rich in the first place. They know the value of money. If they didn't and if they spent it as soon as they got an extra buck in their pocket, they wouldn't be so rich. And Mallaya, didn't he get his money from his dad, maybe that's why he spends it like crazy, not that there is anything wrong with it. Otoh Premji and Murthy made it themselves. So they are a bit more conservative with it.
I guess you do have a point.

But what Mallya inherited from his dad was a very small fortune. He has expanded it to many times more than what it was to begin with.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 12:56   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default And not one....

And not one, on any list, is a BHPian. I am beginning to see a pattern emerging.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 13:52   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,371
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
And not one, on any list, is a BHPian. I am beginning to see a pattern emerging.
Why dont you invite the Billion club members to this Forum and break the emerging pattern ?
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 14:02   #26
BHPian
 
lancer80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 102
Thanked: Once
Default

Quite surprised I didn't see Ratan Tata's name up there. Where does he stand?
lancer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 23:13   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,428
Thanked: 1,676 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer80 View Post
Quite surprised I didn't see Ratan Tata's name up there. Where does he stand?
He's nowhere close...he's not the type interested in amassing personal wealth. In fact, its Pallonji Mistry and not him who owns a big chunk of Tata Sons. I'm surprised not to see Mistry's name in top 10.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 23:35   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
(quoting NR)
When I go on a business tour, my expenses are paid for by Infosys. But when take my wife along, I have to take a double room, and I always pay the difference between costs of a single room and double room to the company.
(endquote)

In case of UB, the company will have to foot the bill for lipstick used by the PYTs hanging on VM's arms.
Don't fall for NRN's crap. Infosys is the company that paid $ 3 million to a lady because she was sexually harassed by them. The employee in question was not reprimanded/castigated and all in question, barring the lady, refused to acknowledge any wrongdoing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P View Post
And Mallaya, didn't he get his money from his dad, maybe that's why he spends it like crazy, not that there is anything wrong with it. Otoh Premji and Murthy made it themselves. So they are a bit more conservative with it.
Mallya got his money from his dad as much as Premji did.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 23:49   #29
BHPian
 
prabhuav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 670
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

C3PO Dude your facts straight. The said lady was not sexually harrassed by Infosys. The guy who did it was their head of sales, who was sacked for this. The 3 mil paid is a small price paid for the time and money a court trial would have caused.

Both Mallya and Premji got small fortunes that they have grown. To put it in perspectives, they inherited an esteem, and now have an RR
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 02:31   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
C3PO Dude your facts straight. The said lady was not sexually harrassed by Infosys. The guy who did it was their head of sales, who was sacked for this. The 3 mil paid is a small price paid for the time and money a court trial would have caused.
My facts are right, as reported in the media. Infosys did not issue any condemnation of Phaneesh Murthy, nor was any admission of wrongdoing forthcoming from either Infosys, or Murthy. Murthy maintained his innocence throughout, but for some reason Infy thought it best to pay Reka Maximovitch USD 3 million in return for her never filing suit. Also, Murthy was not sacked. He resigned in what appeared to be a rather anti-climactic fashion.

A legal process in the US wouldn't be as long drawn out as India. They are pretty proactive on the harassment front. What would have happened is that Murthy, and Infy as a result, would have been proved wrong/culpable beyond a shadow of doubt, putting in great jeopardy the squeaky-clean reputation NRN tries (and sometimes fails) to project.

Mallya tried very hard to run his business himself, with unimpressive results. He then realised the best way was to hire good managers, and has since kept his hands off the daily grind, with remarkable results. Of course, it helps that the sun will never set on an industry like alcohol.

Last edited by v1p3r : 10th March 2008 at 02:34.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobiles in KUWAIT The country with richest currency GSHA The International Automotive Scene 19 2nd April 2015 20:45
The Jetta is a top seller in America's richest neighbourhoods issigonis The International Automotive Scene 0 17th August 2012 16:26
World's Richest Man is now an Indian !!! diabloo Shifting gears 43 11th March 2008 12:47
India is now the richest country!! karthik247 Shifting gears 20 10th February 2006 17:52
Airtel One India Challenge- India's richest rally ever! Rtech Indian Motorsport 15 21st April 2005 17:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks