Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th January 2011, 22:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Travel insurance (and other queries) for the United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not so. Some US States recognise the IDP ONLY, while others (surprisingly) accept the regular Indian driving licence ONLY. I usually carry both.
Thats strange, which state accepts IDP only? Indian license worked for me in NY/NJ/CA.

Will have to keep this in mind when visiting one of these states.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 19:38   #32
Max
BHPian

Default Re: travel insurance for united states and general tips for usa travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Hi,

I am traveling to US for about a month and a half. Need a travel insurance for myself. Looking at policybazaar.com, I am very confused about what to buy.

Please help.
do not travel in united states without travel insurance

while i was in USA i bought travel insurance from http://www.insubuy.com. USA hospitals will not accept cashless settlements if you are buying travel insurance from Indian company.

Visitor Medical Insurance - Comparison of buying from US vs Indian Company
reviews:
Visitors Insurance Reviews. Buy visitors insurance with confidence for your relatives visiting USA. Read real reviews from real buyers just like you.
forums:
Visitor Medical Insurance for USA - InsuBuy Forum

Indian insurance companies will give you tough time releasing your claim. I highly recommend buying travel insurance from united states based company while traveling to usa. I bought travel insurance from atlas America through http://www.insubuy.com with zero deductible (they will pay all). Do buy zero deductable, it will cost you only few dollars more but you don't have to pay anything else you will have to pay first deductable dollars and rest it paid by insurance company. (example you suffered fracture and if it cost you $2500 and you bought policy with $1000 deductable then you will pay $1000 and insurance company will pay $1500 but with zero deductible insurance company will pay $2500).

ATLAS AMERICA is under HCC Medical Insurance Services (HCCMIS)
HCC Medical Insurance Services (HCCMIS)

You can also call http:/www.insubuy.com (number on their web site) to verify they are there in case you need. I actually called them to check if they are there before actually buying insurance from them. Once you buy insurance from them they will send you electronic ID which will have your policy number and emergency contact information, which you can carry with yourself, in case of any emergency, authorities will contact your medical insurance provider. I suggest you provide exact name as on your passport while buying insurance and also write emergency contact numbers in united states and India on back side of your insurance id slip.

They will also give you payment receipt etc., for taxation.

I did not need any medical assistance hence can't tell you about experience.

here is insurance ID sample

Last edited by Max : 15th January 2011 at 19:47.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 09:48   #33
BHPian

Default Re: Travel insurance (and other queries) for the United States

There is no specific travel insurance thread for other countries. Instead of starting a new thread let me add my question here.

I am traveling with my family to SE Asia this month. Is Tata AIG cashless (no response from them yet)? Which is the best policy / policy provider?
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 15:05   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
do not travel in united states without travel insurance

while i was in USA i bought travel insurance from http://www.insubuy.com. USA hospitals will not accept cashless settlements if you are buying travel insurance from Indian company.
@ MAX, GTO and all others whose parents travel to USA frequently or have done in the past :

My brother stays in Portland, Oregon. My parents are visiting this month end. Last year when my mom went there, we took reliance without much research .It was pathetic to say the least. A simple knee treatment was not covered by them and my brother had to shell out close to a Grand but reimbursed Rs.2100 for a dental treatment. after constant persuasion and threats from my father saying he would file a case in the consumer court and complain to IRDA, we got a cheque for Rs.2000.

I would like to avoid this and people out there please help me out buy a best insurance policy for travelling to US for my mom and dad who are 52 yrs and 62 yrs old respectively.

Thanks in Advance
revv_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 12:36   #35
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
@ MAX, GTO and all others whose parents travel to USA frequently or have done in the past :

A simple knee treatment was not covered by them and my brother had to shell out close to a Grand but reimbursed Rs.2100 for a dental treatment. after constant persuasion and threats from my father saying he would file a case in the consumer court and complain to IRDA, we got a cheque for Rs.2000.
Usually, Many things are not covered under travel insurance and they will make it hard, if you file a claim. Its primarily designed to cover eventualities during your travel like accident and normally do not cover existing conditions. Go through your insurer documents carefully or may be call them in case you have specific queries.

IMO, If you have problems paying $50-$1000 (Rs.2,500 to Rs.50,000) yourself then consider not traveling to different countries because insurance may not cover everything.

If you are in united states and your parents are visiting you, then I will highly recommend you to go for US based insurer as you can pursue the matter yourself in united states where its easy to get justice. If you buy insurance from US provider you may also have cashless coverage in many hospitals.
Old 12th March 2013, 17:04   #36
BHPian

Friends,
My mother in law ( 65 yrs )is travelling to US for 120 days. Which is a good insurance company to take the policy. I checked with Tata AIG, the premium comes to 22,000/ for one lakh $ coverage.
Thanks in advance
Rameshdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 19:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Friends,
My mother in law ( 65 yrs )is travelling to US for 120 days. Which is a good insurance company to take the policy. I checked with Tata AIG, the premium comes to 22,000/ for one lakh $ coverage.
Thanks in advance
Try Star Health Insurance.
Also, recently I think that New India Assurance has started some policies for the older generation without an age upper limit.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 06:27   #38
BHPian

Question Re: Visitor insurance in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
ATLAS AMERICA is under HCC Medical Insurance Services (HCCMIS)
HCC Medical Insurance Services (HCCMIS)

You can also call http:/www.insubuy.com (number on their web site) to verify they are there in case you need.

I did not need any medical assistance hence can't tell you about experience.
My father(77 years) is diabetic and would be traveling to US for 3 months. Could you please let me know a insurance service provider who can cover pre-existing diseases?

We would be carrying his medicine for around 3 months. Can we top up his medicines in US, if we carry the medical prescriptions from here? Can he get similar insulin formulations out there?

Please advise.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 11:33   #39
Max
BHPian

Default Re: Visitor insurance in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
My father(77 years) is diabetic and would be traveling to US for 3 months. Could you please let me know a insurance service provider who can cover pre-existing diseases?

We would be carrying his medicine for around 3 months. Can we top up his medicines in US, if we carry the medical prescriptions from here? Can he get similar insulin formulations out there?

Please advise.
I don't think anybody will cover pre-existing conditions, however I recommend you call and talk to them directly about this.