Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th July 2007, 00:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Almost every slum in Mumbai has a colour TV as well. Are they going to tax their vote banks? I seriously doubt it.

Rtech, those people are exempted already, remember ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 03:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
1. Govt puts book tax on any new book you buy to pay salary to govt school teachers.
2. Cell phone tax when you buy a new cellphone to pay for MTNL/BSNL employees.
3.Clothes tax when you buy new clothes to pay handloom employees.
You already pay taxes on all these items which support government teachers, MTNL, textile workers, the myriad Nehru/Rajiv/Indira sc(am)hemes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
Does it share any profits in tax collection that it burdens us with losses?
Yes - Roads, military, police, subsidized rail travel and a myriad other things. But the government should wisen up and disinvest from loss making PSU's and if these PSU's are of strargic importance, they should let them manage on their own without politicians interfering.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 04:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This system is in practice is in the UK. There if you need to own and watch TV you should take the TV license. And it is applicable if you intend to use any TV broadcast receiving equipment to watch TV even if it is a TV enabled cellphone. The licensing costs come around 100 quids per year for a colour TV.
Sankar, the TV licence in the UK is collected to ensure that the Beeb runs without commercial interference. BBC One and Two have no advertisements, IIRC. This means they have no way to ensure revenue. Another reason for the licence is that it makes production of certain programmes, that would not be otherwise viable to produce, possible.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 17:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Doordarshan shows only 5 ***** per over in a cricket match, whose telecast rights were obtained for free in the first place, so that they can plug in some extra ads !!

And now, they need another Rs 500 from me???
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 20:17   #35
BHPian

There was a nice editorial in Times of India today on the issue. There is a charge in London since BBC does not advertise (is that correct?). But Dukhdarshan charges also for advertising, so why would it require extraneous support?

I did not know that Prasar Bharati had 38000 employees. 38k employees churning out such crap? To be frank, i havent seen Dukhdarshan in something like 15 years now, but sometimes when surfing I come across some DD channels and the content is generally crap. And why do they want to give Government employee/PSU status to these employees?

This idea is totally retrogade and useless. Why cant they do enough with the various taxes that we pay?

Income Tax - 33.66%
VAT - 12.5%
Service Tax - 12.5%
Customs Duties - ??
Excise Duties - ??

All of these taxes put together drain out a considerable portion of our earnings anyways. Ridiculous idea

btw, i forgot to add - I used to pay a TV license fee in Singapore. Cant remember how much. But remember income tax there was only 6-8%.

Last edited by Wheeliej : 11th July 2007 at 20:19.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 20:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

The CPI/CPM wallahs will love this; The only hope is Karunanidhi and his DMK.

However, using some off-the-shelf tech you can beat the license raj II:
Buy a widescreen LCD monitor and a TVtuner card.

- save 500/year
- browse TBHP and channelsurf at the same time
- smirk everytime when u see a prasarbharati employee, or better, wear FCUK-branded t-shirt when uare you sure you encounter a prasarbharati employee

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 11th July 2007 at 20:36.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 22:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

No licence fee on TV, radio: Govt

I guess Govt just wanted to send chill down the TV manufacturer's spine...
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 10:42   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
There was a nice editorial in Times of India today on the issue. There is a charge in London since BBC does not advertise (is that correct?). But Dukhdarshan charges also for advertising, so why would it require extraneous support?
I had gone through that article. Well put.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 10:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Not just DD, even the private channels which air commercials should not be pay channels. It is only in India that we are charged for the channels as well as forced to watch those commercials too.
Old 12th July 2007, 10:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
No licence fee on TV, radio: Govt

I guess Govt just wanted to send chill down the TV manufacturer's spine...
Finally, better sense prevailed!

I guess its time to close this thread.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 10:49   #41
Team-BHP Support

i agree with E_L. When watching a movie on any of these channels, its like you have to bear with them for about 3-4 hours. I was watching a Malayalam movie on Kairali TV yesterday, and when it got over in 2 hours or so, i was wondering what happened. Then i remembered, they had no ads.
Old 12th July 2007, 11:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
i agree with E_L. When watching a movie on any of these channels, its like you have to bear with them for about 3-4 hours. I was watching a Malayalam movie on Kairali TV yesterday, and when it got over in 2 hours or so, i was wondering what happened. Then i remembered, they had no ads.
Yeah Ben watching a late night movie, in surya, Asianet and Kairala is so differnet. Less advts and it get over so fast but on Sat and Sundays...it goes on and on and on

Coming to Doordarshan running in loss, they seriously need to think about improving the quality of telecast and also shouls air couple of gud programs....till then god save them...errr sorry we the public need to save them.....Sad But True !!
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 11:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Its the same with MGM, no ads at all. This channel, not surprisingly is not meant for India, hence no ads. Whereas HBO, Star Movies etc will bombard you with commercial breaks every 10 minutes, disgusting.

I remember when Star Movies kicked off as the first pay channel in India, it was completely devoid of ads, slowly they started breaking the movie in two parts with ads in between. Now, the commercials are broken in between to show the movie.
Old 12th July 2007, 12:38   #44
Team-BHP Support

OFF TOPIC:

Thats not all, John. Make an attempt at watching a 9PM movie on Zoom. They are so desperate for ads that the only one or two that they get is aired twice, thrice in the same slot, just to make up for the mandatory time period they have set aside for ads, per slot. The Taj tea ad with Saif which they show makes me wanna self-destruct my own TV set. That way i wont even need to pay 500 which the government wants/intends to collect.