Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 15th August 2008, 14:43   #796
BANNED

A nice example of vice versa.

My mother is turned on by the television, and vice versa.
Quote courtesy - Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 14:32   #797
BHPian

Very informative and interesting thread to read. It cleared many of my doubts about the uses of certain terms and their spellings. Thanks a lot Sam.
kooldudedelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 13:16   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure if I posted this before.

---In other words, I think I might have done, but I am not certain.

I am not sure does not mean the same as I don't know.

I see this so often these days that I have even caught myself using it! What's got into people? Is it some sort of epidemic of being unable to admit not knowing something?

If you know something, you know it. If you do not know, you do not know. If you have an idea of which you are not sure --- then you are not sure.

Please people! I'm sure that those honest, straightforward and meaningful words I don't know are good for the soul!

Never mind internet forums: next time your boss asks something, and you don't know, don't evade the issue by being 'not sure', tell him that you don't know!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 13:49   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Please people! I'm sure that those honest, straightforward and meaningful words I don't know are good for the soul!
Thad, I am sure what you have said is correct.
I don't know, however, whose soul those words are good for!
I'm not sure any Indian boss is happy to hear those honest, straightforward and meaningful words!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 14:29   #800
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure how different "I don't know who will agree with me " is from "I am not sure who will agree with me". Hmmm... i think there is some difference there, but i dont know where exactly the difference is.

Anyway, on a different note, i have noticed people expanding "btw" in their sentences. This would be perfectly fine, except that they are expanding it to "between" and not "by the way"! AND, to top it all, the context of the sentence calls for "by the way"! Has anyone else noticed that?

Here is another thing. Notice how an incorrect placement of an article ("a" here) can change the meaning. My boss sent an email to the team saying "Please make sure I have booked a room for the meeting". I think he meant "Please make sure I have a booked room for the meeting". But i am not going to assume anything so i am just going to remind him and tell him to book the room (does anyone have a job vacancy for a software engr??)

Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 23:36   #801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I am not sure how different "I don't know who will agree with me " is from "I am not sure who will agree with me". Hmmm... i think there is some difference there, but i dont know where exactly the difference is.
Entirely different: in the latter instance, you have some idea, but you are not sure; if you have no idea, then you say, "I don't know...".
Quote:
Anyway, on a different note, i have noticed people expanding "btw" in their sentences. This would be perfectly fine, except that they are expanding it to "between" and not "by the way"! AND, to top it all, the context of the sentence calls for "by the way"! Has anyone else noticed that?
That is very odd; between the way makes no sense at all!

Quote:
Here is another thing. Notice how an incorrect placement of an article ("a" here) can change the meaning. My boss sent an email to the team saying "Please make sure I have booked a room for the meeting". I think he meant "Please make sure I have a booked room for the meeting".
I don't know () about this, as I cannot tell what your boss had in his mind. Was he asking you to check his work? Or to check the work of the person who takes the room bookings?

If it had been me, knowing how absent-minded I can be, I might have said to you, "I'm not sure I booked a room for that meeting; can you check, please?".
Old 17th December 2008, 00:38   #802
Team-BHP Support

One common gaffe that always makes me smile is this one:

Marriage Invitation or We have to attend a marriage.

PS: I usually scoot after attending the wedding.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 01:40   #803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, on a different note, i have noticed people expanding "btw" in their sentences. This would be perfectly fine, except that they are expanding it to "between" and not "by the way"! AND, to top it all, the context of the sentence calls for "by the way"! Has anyone else noticed
Quote:
That is very odd; between the way makes no sense at all!
No Nick, he means to say that some people expand btw to "between" instead of "by the way". Not between the way, lol.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 11:28   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
No Nick, he means to say that some people expand btw to "between" instead of "by the way". Not between the way, lol.
That is indeed what i have seen. Thanks Sam.

But, has no one else noticed this?

Quote:
I don't know () about this, as I cannot tell what your boss had in his mind. Was he asking you to check his work? Or to check the work of the person who takes the room bookings?

If it had been me, knowing how absent-minded I can be, I might have said to you, "I'm not sure I booked a room for that meeting; can you check, please?".
Thad, I am quite certain he meant to ask us to book a meeting room for him. He just misplaced the article, giving it an entirely different meaning.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 11:31   #805
Senior - BHPian

Yes Amit ! I also second you and Sam on that as many use it for "Between" as against "By the way"
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 12:31   #806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But, has no one else noticed this?
I have noticed it often and am of the firm belief that the people who do it need to be smacked in the middle of their reading. Hard.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 16:34   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

...and had to re-read the post three times until I got that!

As to the boss and his room booking... I say, let him look after his own room booking!
Old 24th January 2009, 02:59   #808
BHPian

I love this thread *peals of laughter* and I've learned so much from this thread. (esp Sameer and Thad sir )

I've noticed that many uh (which word would you associate with these people) use "1337" (Elite) writing methods.

1 4m 4 5l4y3r (it reads I am a slayer)
If you haven't come across such text then you're lucky. Usually seen in chat rooms.
Frankly even sms way of writing never was convenient to me, since I read every message twice that I type (or should i say press) out. I find it hard to read even if i write in sms style. My batchmates complain that I write messages out too long since its in proper english.

Quote:
A question :
we use "i.e" to say "that is" , where did this originate from ?

OT

Disclaimer : This isn't to insult any Gujarati, but the following observations are true and can be confirmed.

Being a former resident of Gujarat for 17 years, I have observed that people here in Gujarat mostly spell the word as they pronounce it. They pronounce the English word in a Gujarati accent. This is a pain in your posterior when you speak proper English, you can't make them understand what you want.

Some examples I'd state:
Quote:
When dad first targeted a "row house" to buy, he was shocked to see the board during the construction which read : "New Nandanvan raw houses". *sigh*
Quote:
Also snacks is pronounced as snakes (I bet Chinese guests would be happy)
Quote:
Measuring tape is pronounced as tap.
Also some fancy Gujarati builder probably was thrilled with the word "Avenue" and promptly came back and built a settlement which had "Greenwood Avenue" (Now I bet if an Englishman had to come to someone's residence at the mentioned place, he'd never find the house, but look for a street)

My English teacher at school used to call / ask for someone like this:
Quote:
Where is the supark ?
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 09:24   #809
Senior - BHPian

Here is some help, Xeno! I recently received this lesson in the mail.

Quote:
Reasons why the English language is so hard to learn:

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant nor is there ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple.

English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France.

Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese.
So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices? Why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick"?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be sent to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.
It is endless………

Last edited by anupmathur : 24th January 2009 at 09:25.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 10:22   #810
Distinguished - BHPian

recently I had to have explained to me why immigrant has mm and emigrant has only m. It is indeed a crazy language!

How about speech and speak? why?

ea is usually pronounced the same as ee, so why do we use both? And why sweat?

This language doesn't get any easier even with fifty-plus years of speaking it. That goodness that spell checkers were invented.

(That should be spelling checkers, of course: a spell checker would be something used by wizards and magicians!)