Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2010, 22:03   #1321
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,425
Thanked: 870 Times
Default

Another misuse I have noticed is "hardly", which is substituted for "hard". A classmate of mine in college once failed miserably in a mid term exam paper. When the professor asked him what happened, he stammered "Sir, I studied hardly but still failed". The professor quipped with a smile "If you study hard you will never fail; however if you hardly study, you are bound to fail"!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 22:07   #1322
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

But Thad, using double negative to emphasize is an Americanism, right?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 22:44   #1323
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 703 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Another misuse I have noticed is "hardly", which is substituted for "hard". A classmate of mine in college once failed miserably in a mid term exam paper. When the professor asked him what happened, he stammered "Sir, I studied hardly but still failed". The professor quipped with a smile "If you study hard you will never fail; however if you hardly study, you are bound to fail"!
Even Kapil Dev used it once, probably in the only series in which he commentated in English!!
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 23:23   #1324
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,799
Thanked: 7,127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
But Thad, using double negative to emphasize is an Americanism, right?
I suspect that it began in UK, in some local dialect like Cockney.

If I'd ever said it at home, my parents would have beaten me!

Gansan, I like the professor's quip!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th July 2010 at 23:24.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 00:05   #1325
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 703 Times
Default

Sorry for the late post - but after reading Samurai's post 2/3 times chuckling each time, I think it wont be fair on my part if dont record my appreciation (A double negative here?). Great story telling ability.

Praveen
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 23:17   #1326
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,188
Thanked: 4,777 Times
Default

If someone could let me know the differences between 'rammed' and 'slammed'...
Thanks
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 01:55   #1327
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If someone could let me know the differences between 'rammed' and 'slammed'...
Thanks
Slammed: A forceful impact that makes a loud noise.
I slammed the door shut.

Rammed:
A forceful impact mainly with the purpose of breaking in or stopping something.
The army rammed the castle repeatedly.

To stuff something in.
I rammed the cloths into the bag.

I think 'rammed' must have had its origins from ram (male sheep). If you have seen how a ram attacks you will get an idea.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 07:06   #1328
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,425
Thanked: 870 Times
Default

Two more commonly noticed wrong usages:

The first is "I can't be able to"! It should be either "I will be able to" or "I will not be able to".

The second is pertaining to the word "Little". Some people say "I have little hope it will happen" when they actually mean they have a small hope that the event will take place! But the usage means they have no hope at all!
The correct usage will be "I have a little hope".
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 14:35   #1329
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,799
Thanked: 7,127 Times
Default

... except that an English person would not say that! They might say something like, "I have some hope".

The easiest way to solve the problem of your first example is, simply, "I can't"! If it is necessary to bring the future tense into it, then, "I will not (won't) be able to" is fine.

Could care less --- I'm sure we've mentioned this before --- what the writer usually means is Could not care less. The logic of this is related to Sam's second to none. I think this mistake comes from America.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 15:39   #1330
BHPian
 
anku94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 225
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

I was replying to a topic concerning the government's plans to amend the Consumer Protection Act when I was struck with a confusion.

The topic went something like 'Govt. mulls over amendments to CPA'

Which of the following, if any, would be correct ?

=> Let's hope the government more than mulls over it.
=> Let's hope the government does more than mull over it.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 16:44   #1331
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,188
Thanked: 4,777 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Slammed: A forceful impact that makes a loud noise.
I slammed the door shut.

Rammed:
A forceful impact mainly with the purpose of breaking in or stopping something.
The army rammed the castle repeatedly.
Something like--

I slammed the brakes hard but still rammed the car ahead of me?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 16:57   #1332
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,425
Thanked: 870 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
I was replying to a topic concerning the government's plans to amend the Consumer Protection Act when I was struck with a confusion.

The topic went something like 'Govt. mulls over amendments to CPA'

Which of the following, if any, would be correct ?

=> Let's hope the government more than mulls over it.
=> Let's hope the government does more than mull over it.
The second one, if you wish to imply that the Govt not merely mulls over, but acts upon it.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 17:06   #1333
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,799
Thanked: 7,127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Something like--

I slammed the brakes hard but still rammed the car ahead of me?
You were driving far too close then!

Not quite. We might slam on the brakes, but we would not slam them. The most common thing that we slam is a door!

How about bringing the slammer into this! Slang for prison, because, I guess, they slam the door on you.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 17:49   #1334
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,262
Thanked: 1,232 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How about bringing the slammer into this! Slang for prison, because, I guess, they slam the door on you.
Hee hee. How about an 'Alabama Slammer' in the slammer? Remember Tom Cruise mixing that potion in the movie 'Cocktail'?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:44   #1335
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,716
Thanked: 7,856 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You were driving far too close then!

Not quite. We might slam on the brakes, but we would not slam them. The most common thing that we slam is a door!

How about bringing the slammer into this! Slang for prison, because, I guess, they slam the door on you.
Another commonly used term using that word is :- I slammed my head against a " almost anything can be included here" to solve this problem
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Yetiguide® to Coffee Sam Kapasi Shifting gears 364 28th October 2017 02:08
A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel Sam Kapasi Route / Travel Queries 1015 5th October 2017 16:30
A YetiGuide® guide to tattooing! Sam Kapasi Shifting gears 89 24th May 2017 15:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:39.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks