Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th July 2007, 17:20   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Sharing an Internet Connection in a network

Am currently using AnalogX Proxy software to share my MNTL ADSL connect to other computer on my network LAN.

Not very happy with the connection as the computer on the network recieve a much slower connection with several disconnections. Whereas, the master computer(to which the ADSL router is connected) is always running well.

Would be great if you someone could help me resolve this issue with recommendation of softwares used in your offices to share internet connection.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 17:38   #2
BHPian

Create a wireless network instead. Connects at 54mbps with 802.11g protocol.
bill1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 19:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is it an ADSL modem or an ADSL modem + router combo? Dunno why u need proxy and all if you have the router.. Just configure the router to connect to the ISP.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 19:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Am currently using AnalogX Proxy software to share my MNTL ADSL connect
> to other computer on my network LAN.

I am using a BSNL connection. So I guess this is similar. Does your ADSL modem connect via a network card? Is your OS XP?

>Would be great if you someone could help me resolve this issue with >recommendation of softwares used in your offices to share internet
> connection.

As long as you don't need incoming connections, it is fairly easy. Internet sharing is built in XP.

Regards,

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 01:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Its just an ADSL modem not a router.
Wireless is not an option as I do not have wireless lan cards on all my desktops.
trrk-How do i share internet connections on the LAN network through XP?
Old 17th July 2007, 01:17   #6

Buy a wireless router Netgear or Dlink. These generally come with four ports for wired connections. it will work fine. If you are ready to throw your current ADSL modem, you can buy ADSL + Wireless router, I am using it and it work fine even when three systems are connected.
atease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 10:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Its just an ADSL modem not a router.
Wireless is not an option as I do not have wireless lan cards on all my desktops.
trrk-How do i share internet connections on the LAN network through XP?
right click on my computer, go to properties, click on computer name, click network id & run the wizard from your Main PC first & do the same on all your other PCs as well. It is pretty easy.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 10:47   #8
BHPian

Apologies for going OT, but I would really appreciate it if someone can suggest a good software for managing my wireless network at home. Using the inbuilt XP features, I'm able to secure my connection (WEP) but not able to search for or kick out unauthorized users.
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 10:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

If you are using WEP, how can anyone else do an unauthorized usage? i the confused.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 11:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sahil,

> Its just an ADSL modem not a router.

I assume that there are two NICs in your machine - one that connects to the Internet and the other to the local network.

> trrk-How do i share internet connections on the LAN network through XP?

I am not a tech person, but here goes.

First of all assign IPs to all your network machines in the series 192.168.0.... and the machine that connects to the internet should have its NIC connected to the local network should be 192.168.0.1.

Right click on 'My Network Places' on the desktop and choose 'Properties'. Right click on the NIC that connects to the Internet and select 'Properties'. In the middle of the box scroll down to the entry 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and click Properties.

I assume that the IP etc is already entered there. Note down the DNS entries in a paper. Close the box and click on the 'Advanced' Tab. Select the 'Allow other netwrok users......'. It will warn that the IP address will be changed to 192.168.0.1. It actually changes the IP address of the NIC that is connected to the local network and if it is already 192.168.0.1 less the hassle. Click OK.
Close the Properties box. Your NIC connected to the Internet should show 'Shared' in addition to the 'Connected'.

In this computer, Open the 'Properties' of the NIC connected to the home network. Scroll to TCP/IP entry and open its 'Properties'. The IP address would be 192.168.0.1. Add 192.168.1.2 (The IP address of the NIC that connects to the internet) as the default gateway and also add the DNS entries that you initially copied in the DNS entry section at the bottom.

In your other network computers, in the 'Properties' section of the NIC, in addition to the IP address of the 192.168.0. series, the default gateway should be 192.168.0.1 and the DNS entries as before.

All this can be done by a wizard in XP, but this exercise would enable you to trouble shoot the configuration later, if necessary.

I hope this helps you and is clear enough and I do hope it covers everything.

You can always disable the sharing if you do not want the other machines in the network to use the internet. You can choose the machines to use the internet and configure only them. When you disable the sharing, the NIC which was assigned 192.168.0.1 is shifted to auto IP. If your network uses IP address for the interconnectivity, you should manually change this to 192.168.0.1 as when needed.

Please revert if you hit any problem.

All the best.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
Old 17th July 2007, 12:21   #11
BHPian

If you are using WEP and you have not shared the key with anyone, then no one can user your network. If you are not sure about the key. Go ahead and change the key. This time dont share it with anyone. Be rest assured that no one will be able to fiddle with the connection. (No guarantee for hitech hackers who even break CIA codes).
bill1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 13:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182 View Post
If you are using WEP and you have not shared the key with anyone, then no one can user your network. If you are not sure about the key. Go ahead and change the key. This time dont share it with anyone. Be rest assured that no one will be able to fiddle with the connection. (No guarantee for hitech hackers who even break CIA codes).
Even though I'm using WEP, there are many ways in which a determined hacker can easily hack into my network (a brief wiki/google search will throw up at least 5 softwares for cracking WEP secured networks). Many softwares even allow the hackers to remain hidden from view and they will not show up on simple softwares like Network Magic, for example.

I'm looking for a good software that will allow me to undertake most Admin tasks for my wireless network including, but not limited to, keeping a tab on unauthorized users and kicking them out if required.
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 10:24   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks trrk! The internet is super quick on all the shared computer now, but there is one problem i face- freuqent disconnections/missing links ..it happens only for a second or two and connects back?
Also, if i were to install a wireless router would it change any settings of the above settings?

Last edited by Sahil : 18th July 2007 at 10:32.
Old 20th July 2007, 17:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Thanks trrk! The internet is super quick on all the shared computer now, but

If what I wrote helped you, I am glad it did. I had to learn most of the things the hard way.

> there is one problem i face- freuqent disconnections/missing links ..it
> happens only for a second or two and connects back?

I don't have an answer for that. It happens with my BSNL connection too!

The offline UPS does interrupt the modem connectivity when there is a power interruption. Maybe online UPS would solve that.

>Also, if i were to install a wireless router would it change any settings of the >above settings?

Sorry, Sahil, absolutley no idea regarding a wireless setup.

Do you need access to your computer from outside?

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
Old 30th January 2008, 11:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I am bringing this thread back up from it's grave - I am facing problems again !
All computers are connected with the instruction given by trrk previously, but there is a major lag in speed.
For instance the host computer (to which my mtnl adsl router is connected) is almost 10 times faster than other computers on the LAN.
How do i resolve this, techies please help !