mountains (hiachal, uttaranchal etc) 20 22.47%
east coast (andhra, west bengal) 6 6.74%
north east (darjeeling) 4 4.49%
cultural heritage (rajasthan, UP, agra, etc) 3 3.37%
islands (lakshadweep, andaman) 8 8.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th July 2007, 10:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

For me it has to be my hometown Dehradun.
Good weather , relaxed pace of life ,accessibility to Himanchal and Uttaranchal for good drives and nature .
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 10:52   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Chandigarh.
1. Reasonably safe from Natural clamities
2. Cheap to live with active suburbs
3. Accesible to hills(himachal is next door)
4. Delhi is just 4 hours away(International airport)
5. Good education(One of the best schools, and also great engineering/Medical and MBA college). Also has one of the biggest univs of north India, Punjab University
6. No traffic hassals
7. Great tourist places inside city(Lake, Rock garden, Rose garden...)
8. I think he missed very important point, "beautiful, smart and open minded girls " .
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 11:00   #48
BHPian

I have stayed in many parts of India as a kid and a teenager.
would like to settle down place which is near to nature, hills and have good medical facilities, transport facitities and have a cosmopolitan soceity. Chandigarh & Bangalore fits all of these.
but I would like to settle down where I can stay with my parents( Agra) or atleast visit them every week, so my choice will be NCR where I can continue my JOB and still be near to them.

Cheers
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 11:02   #49
Team-BHP Support

I love Hyderabad for its laid back lifestyle, moderate temparatures, good roads and fast developing infrastructure and except for the girls everything is suitable for me.

I plan to retire when i hit 50 ( hope to make my moolah by then ) and then buy a nice sea side shack\cottage in Goa and settle down their drinking cold beer and ogling at all the nice young women, according to me, perfect retirement plan
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 11:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

I would love to retire in Bangalore. I am a city dweller by nature and while I love to visit places which are calm and quiet, I can't imagine spending my life in any of those places.

Bangalore has great weather (it used to be much better a decade back but still it is much better than lots of other places), all the trappings of a city (multiplexes, book shops, coffee shops, great restaurants and most importantly, pubs). Perfect place for me .
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 12:36   #51
BHPian

Anywhere except Bangalore..cant stand the traffic here......
lancer_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 17:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
8. I think he missed very important point, "beautiful, smart and open minded girls " .
post retirement? i am not that considerate towards my son's needs
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 17:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8drive
8. I think he missed very important point, "beautiful, smart and open minded girls "
Where? Where? Where??
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 19:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
no you are not. ogling at women may be not a thing to do then, but rest of it still sounds good.

how difficult is settling in goa (regulations on immigrants, taxes etc)

and how are coastal suburbs (karnataka/maharashtra) of goa?
Old 25th July 2007, 19:40   #55
Senior - BHPian

Suburbs? Goa is not a city. At least, as a traveller, I have never felt like that. Never 'lived' there though.

As somebody else pointed out, best thing to do is look for a place near where you have relatives / friends.

Immigration laws (for foreign citizens) is same all over India. Please check RBI's site for regulations on non-citizens owning land / immoveable properties in India.

As a foreigner / recent settler, you may want to be mobile within the country, and therefore stay at a place with cosmopolitan population and near an international airport and with good rail connectivity. Goa is back on both counts - There is an airport, but you have to change planes, and rail connectivity to southern states is not dependable during monsoons due to mudslides.
Pune, Bangalore are two places I have actually visited and may, IMHO, be considered for a non-citizen to settle.
And if you are of Indian origin, obtaining citizenship is going to be a cakewalk, but a long drawn procedure, according to people who have returned.

Taxes on income, again, are uniform throughout India. The other tax which may be relevant is profession tax, which is levied by the local authority on people employed within the limit of the local authority (corporation, municipality, panchayath, etc). This is a very, very small amount - like 2000 Rs on a 2.6lakh income and is deductible for income tax purposes.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 20:01   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Anyone, who has lived some years of their life in a small village, that is somewhat close to a city and then moved on to live in a big city will miss the life at the village
The reverse is also true. Anyone from a big city will always miss the big
city.

I have grown up in Bombay. I have lived in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune
Madras. I wouldn't want to spend my retirement anywhere except Bombay.
I wouldn't even want to stay at some of these cities even now,
but "Paapi peyt ka sawaal hain".

I would rank
1) Bombay
<Daylight>
2) Madras
<Daylight>
3) Pune
4) Bangalore
5) Hyderabad
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 20:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

Immigration laws (for foreign citizens) is same all over India. Please check RBI's site for regulations on
oh no, i am citizen, well, NRI now (even that has issues with investments) . my son will be PIO.

I was only concerned because goa is a tourist hotspot, and might have special consideration for tourism rather than settlers. same concern with taxes too.

my other favourite is darjeeling. only concern is land/mudslides disconnecting the region from rest of the world often.
Old 26th July 2007, 09:56   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Its headlong rush into modernisation, however, unplanned and unthought, looks set to ruin it. There is no reason why Chennai should not be recognised as a modern city and an economic force --- with a bit of proper planning.
IMHO, apart from New Delhi, Which is run by the Supreme court anyway.. Chennai is probably the most planned Metro in India. All the flyovers got build on time.. and they do work in reducing traffic congestion. There are good roads, except maybe North Chennai. Traffic is pretty smooth and well behaved compared to other metros.

Only downside is the terrible terrible weather and the scarcity of water.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 10:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

Vivek, you missed on an important aspect, language, which indian languages can you speak, can you speak hindi/ any of the southern languages ???.

In the south if you dont know the language you can face a lot of problems in your daily walk of life and in the north the same is true if you dont know Hindi.

Although I agree with tsk, Chandigarh is a very appropriate place to settle down and another one is Goa (meets all your criteria's).

But also be aware that in some states you cannot buy a property if you dont have a domicile/ dont own an agricultural land.(J&K and H.P. being the two states I know of)
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 11:35   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Spadival... I'm afraid I don't recognise your description of my home!

There was a spate of flyover-building a few years back, before I came here. They are not bad, but often completely neglect the requirements of pedestrians, leaving them no pavement at all to walk on.

There are currently several major projects unfinished and, I think, in some cases they may not have the land purchase sorted out, or be in dispute over costing.

The Old Mahabalipuram Road, Chennai's prestigious IT Highway continues to be a joke beyond its first few km. True, work seems to be in progress, but it seems to be permanently in progress.

Traffic has increased hugely in the past few years and, during rush hours can be very bad. There is little or no discipline among many road users.

In case this gives the wrong impression, let me repeat that I really like Chennai --- but I have serious doubts as to how much I'll like it in a few years.

As a complete foreigner, I've never found lack of language too much of a problem. Its easy to say that and hide behind a wife who speaks Tamil, Malayalam, English and Hindi, and understands enough Telegu to get by --- but there was a time when I was living here by myself. But I am a bad student, and my life would certainly be enhanced by learning Tamil. If you are already a native speaker of an Indian language it would seem to make sense to go somewhere where that language is commonly spoken.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th July 2007 at 11:39.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote