EDIT ::: Another one, Cheeni Chachi
Oh yes, Raman!

Just found this interesting article on DNA

DNA: Mumbai: The revenge of the Indian comic book superheroes
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 21:57   #32
Team-BHP Support

Default Diamond Comics website

It seems they have a trojan on their website.
aah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 10:53   #33
BHPian

Until a few years back, I'd heard of a couple of shops of second hand books between Vile Parle (W) and Santa Cruz (W). These were bang opposite railway tracks (I used to see them from the train). They used to sell these comics (the oldies). One of my friend used to regularly buy it from them (but that was like 7-8 yrs back!).

Contact someone staying in Santa Cruz/Vile Parle (SRShrikant) and they may be able to help you out.

@Sam: If you guys can upload the soft copy of these comics somewhere it would be very much appreciated.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 10:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
It seems they have a trojan on their website.
Oops! Strange that my browser didn't stop me from visiting the site nor did my anti virus
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 17:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

i gave away all my old comics, Indrajal, Amar Chitra Katha, Disneyworld comics, Archie, Gold Key comics - Pink Panther, Sad Sack and a host of books that I had collected right from childhood to a library for children called Hippocampus in Bangalore. At least this way I hope that many more children can get to read and enjoy them.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 14:20   #36
BHPian

Commandos are available new -- I recently saw a lot of them at Landmark bookstore in Infinity Mall on Link Road in Andheri (W). As for Indrajal, I guess I just struck it lucky at my local raddiwalla a few years ago. He had a pile of about 30 of them, which I picked up for Rs 10 each. Not in the best of shape, but all pages were intact. I know it's exorbitant by raddiwalla standards, but this guy knew the comics were rare to come by. I would have paid more, if only for the nostalgia. Unfortunately, his supply of Indrajals dried up with that. They are all from the early 80s, and include Phantom, Mandrake, Flash Gordon, Bahadur (and also a few odd ones like Buz Sawyer, Kerry Drake, Rip Kirby, Garth etc). I don't mind lending them to you to read -- but I'm a little unsure of handing them to children.

On a related note, but at an unrelated raddiwalla at Prabhadevi, I bought some hardcover Enid Blytons from the late 1950s for a song (Rs 10 each)! They were in great shape, and would have cost no less than Rs 500 each on eBay. I didn't see any first editions among them though. From the inscription on the first page, they seem to have belonged to a Sadhana Rao, who was apparently a great reader and got books on every birthday from her family. Sadhana must be around 60 years old now... I wonder if there's way to trace her and tell her that her precious books are safe!

Edit: Just noticed this is a two-year-old thread. Normally_crazy, have you had any luck with your hunt in the intervening period?

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 11th December 2009 at 14:23.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote