Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 31st July 2007, 15:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default What use are the Brown paper sheets after service?

This is something I have never understood. Service centers, irrespective of car brands, put two brown sheets of paper on the mats after service. What purpose do they serve? Some have messages like "Thank you for choosing xyz (company name)" others have messages like "Drive safe" and some just have two feets.

Here is why I feel this practice should be stopped:

1.) What value addition is achieved by doing this? When was the last time some owner actually thought, "wow, how nice! These guys have brown papers to prevent my mat from getting dirty. I'll always stick to this dealership"

2.) How come no car maker or dealer has thought of the money that can be either saved or put to better use by doing away with this practice? Wouldn't putting complimentry windshield washer liquid get the dealers more satisfied customers then these brown papers?

3.) Even if they stop doing this, I am sure no one will notice and the ones that do wouldn't hold it against the dealership or the car maker. It's a smart cost cutting technique.

4.) Imagine the amount of paper being put to wasteful use. It's environmentally unfriendly!. Wouldn't the car makers be able to project a more environmentally friendly image by stopping this practice? Imagine a few years from now, you take your hybrid car to the dealer and it's returned with brown papers on the mats.

In short, this practice:

1.) does no value addition.
2.) No one notices it.
3.) The ones that do, couldn't care less about it.
4.) Someone like me actually takes it as a negitive aspect.
5.) Is a waste of money.
6.) Is environmentally unfriendly.

I hope someone from the industry, if at all they go through this forum, reads this thread, gives it a serious thought and stops this practice.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 15:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Usually the guy who drives from washing bay has his feet wet. Without these sheets the mats would get dirty.
Infact many dealerships also have polythene covers on the seats till the end moment.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 15:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

You are lucky to get the Brown papers, all I got was a sheet of old newspaper.

Actually they do it in order to prevent the dirt getting on to the mat before delivering the car to the customer.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 15:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Usually the guy who drives from washing bay has his feet wet. Without these sheets the mats would get dirty.
If thats the case then the sheets would be wet and slightly crumpled when the owner gets into the car but whenever I have gone to take delivery, I have found crisp sheets of paper. Can't they can use polythene sheets instead which can be reused saving money and the environment.
Old 31st July 2007, 16:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
If thats the case then the sheets would be wet and slightly crumpled when the owner gets into the car but whenever I have gone to take delivery, I have found crisp sheets of paper. Can't they can use polythene sheets instead which can be reused saving money and the environment.
Polythene is much less environment friendly. Now who is going to return the sheet.
Even supermarkets are shifting to paper bags where ever possible.
When I get my car, the mats are a little wet. So if I had put my feet on the mats they would get dirty, this way I dirty only the sheets.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 16:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you recycle the paper being used? It would be far better for the environment than using non-biodegradable polythene sheets.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 17:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its like one of those "Hygiene" paper bands u see on toilet commodes in hotels these days.. .. Completely useless, but gives an indication that the toilet has been cleaned.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 17:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Polythene is much less environment friendly. Now who is going to return the sheet.
I meant the washing guy can put the polythene sheet on the mats, put his wet feet on them, drive the car to the parking lot, get down and remove the sheets which he can use for the next car thats in line for washing. Thus, reuse will be at the dealership end only.
Old 31st July 2007, 18:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The real problem is that they aren't really servicing your car

I've always seen those brown papers come back dirty with feet marks. And a polythene sheet would require cleaning (else in reuse it could possibly leave a mess on your mats). If your brown sheets are clean, then hmmm

Last edited by aah78 : 31st July 2007 at 21:14. Reason: please limit smileys to 3/post.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 18:59   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Why don't you recycle the paper being used? It would be far better for the environment than using non-biodegradable polythene sheets.
I thought they used recycled paper for making those paper mats! Don't they?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 20:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Infact many dealerships also have polythene covers on the seats till the end moment.
Well that's wierd.
If it's only for the driver, then why do they put one in the passenger footwell too?
Also, why does it say 'thank you for using xyz'? I am sure the cleaner won't appreciate that.
BTW, whenever our car comes back from service, the paper mats are never soiled. And aren't the plastic/cloth mats meant to get dirty?
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
In short, this practice:

1.) does no value addition.
2.) No one notices it.
3.) The ones that do, couldn't care less about it.
4.) Someone like me actually takes it as a negitive aspect.
5.) Is a waste of money.
6.) Is environmentally unfriendly.
Really? Then how come you noticed and cared enough to post the issue here and make me spend 5 mins actually pondering over it??

I am in the same boat as you. The sheets on my car are also never crumbled or dirty. All it has is a "Thank you" on it. And i remove the driver side as sheet as soon as i get out on the road as my feet slip on it.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Could come in useful when you just had a tandoori chicken & ran out of tissues.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 22:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

guess its something visible and makes customer feel good ? plus more advertising anything like topping up the windshielf wiper liquid is probably expected and not a bonus
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 01:13   #15
BHPian

It is good when you opt for pick-up and drop service from service centre.
This has become so common that, it no more catches my attention!
Some authorised service centres use papers made (with thank you note and some ads etc.) for the purpose. Brown or white.
Otherwise you see last week's Times of India or some other news paper supplements!
shyamhegde is offline   Reply With Quote