Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 1st August 2007, 11:09   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

According to our constitution, possession of an AK-56 amounts to 5 - 10 years in jail. He got 6 years so there is no surprise or debating on that. However, he and his lawyers were disappointed that they were not granted probation.

He has met with a gangster pretty informally, and I am sure a shrewd man like Abu Salem doesnt just a AK-56 worth 15 - 20 lakhs to just about anybody free of cost. Sanjay also had a couple of grenades stored with him. His meeting with Abu Salem went pretty long and the two were obviously "friendly". The meeting took place monthly after the bombay riots. This was his own confession. After all this, if he says that the guns were for "self-defence", well....

I am not saying that Sanjay is a terrorist but do feel that the judgement is fair. On the personal front, he may have gotten a little more than he deserved.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 11:23   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
According to our constitution, possession of an AK-56 amounts to 5 - 10 years in jail.
According to the US constitution, an AK-47 amounts to ~$800 less in your bank account.
Only thing is that it is not fully-automatic, (but ofcourse that modification can be made rather easily)

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st August 2007 at 11:32.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 11:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

What Sanjay Dutt did was against he law, true. But, what else could he do? He was getting threats and the cops didn't help. Lots of people including politicians have illegal arms cache. Anyone cares to prosecute them? NO!!
Guess the judge is trying to set an example with him. But, example to whom? Does that mean that gangsters and politicians will surrender/destroy their caches?
Baba has suffered a lot. He should be allowed to go free. The idea behind imprisoning someone is to reform him/her. Isn't Sanjay Dutt a good citizen? He is reformed. Then, why go after him?
Wishing Sanjay Dutt is released without any delay.

Slightly Off topic
AK 56 : The correct terminology is Type 56 Carbine. It is a Chinese copy of the Russian AK 47 assault rifle.

Last edited by shuvd : 1st August 2007 at 11:36.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 12:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

I pity Sanju baba for getting this punishment. Lets wait till he appeals at supreme court.
I just love his movies, SAAJAN, VAASTAV, MUNNABHAI series etc ...
Superb actor.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 13:12   #50
BHPian

6 yr means he needs to serve 2/3rd of the sentence (good behaviour) = 4 yrs he has already serves 1.5 ... and i bet he will appeal ...
whatcanthisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 13:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
The idea behind imprisoning someone is to reform him/her. Isn't Sanjay Dutt a good citizen? He is reformed. Then, why go after him?

It is also about paying the price for crime committed. Someone cannot be let off, only if he appears to be a good citizen later on.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 14:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Man of Steel
He is the guy with a long list of nick names behind him like Dutt Saab ,Deadly Dutt, Sanju baba, Munna bhai , Baba ....and now thanks to Judicial system of India the latest add on can be "QAIDI NUMBER ####" , every human being has a tendency to support the guys who are into some kind of trouble so that they can get a feeling that how great and kind-hearted they are ,maybe its with me as well . But on other hands a bunch of herd are really sadist and their vox populi is to obtain pleasure from inflicting pain on others and their latest dupe is Sanju bhai and his well wishers .
Today 31st of july 2007 Sanju Bhai has been convicted of acquiring illegal weapons from gangsters linked with the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai, and has been awarded six years of rigorous imprisonment. Voila what a great decision has been taken yeah he should be sent to jail because for me the true definition of jail is "A place in which individuals are physically confined or interned, and deprived of a range of personal freedoms , and they are treated as a threat to the society and legal system of the country " to best of my understanding Jails are meant for criminals who are shockingly brutal or cruel , does Sanju fall in any of these categories ?
But our Judicial system is least bothered to answer these simple questions, they punished a Man with heart of gold just because he is a celebrity and enjoys a life style which they can not even imagine in their dreams even after rubbing their arse off on the walls of the same pathetic , vitiate , loathsome , foul and corrupt place called " COURT" for another 100 years . They can just spend their whole day by farting and licking arses of the ugliest species of the mother earth i.e- Politicians of India...

These mongrels punished a guy who was there at the time of Tsunami , who was there when kargil happened , who is identified as a most reliable friend by whole film fratenity , who got a smile like a 10 year old kid, who even after 26 years of super stardom feels extremely shy in public.
Yeah he kept a Ak 47 57 67 or whatever with him , I know guys who want to possess a Webley scott revolver even I am one of them , for keeping a silly gun and bunch of bullets in his house he should be sent to jail for 6 years ?
These invertebrate and useless Protectors of law were looking for a ginny pig and they found one in Sanju they just want to prove that how impartial they are , but we all know what the truth is dont we ??? But these dickheads are not ready to understand that Sanju bhai is a misguided child-man rather than the bad boy he has often been painted out to be.
To best of my understanding Sanju always beleived in -Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget about everything except what you're going to do now - and do it.
He will come out as a winner after all he is the same guy who fought with cancer twice , who kicked off drugs after being an addict for more then 10 years, who survived the emotional jolts like death of his mom and divorce with his wife.
He is truely a man of steel and khalyanayak nahi nayak hai woh ....
I know that very soon I will be watching Munnabhai 3 , May god bless him and provide him all the strength .

P.S : Comments are welcome

Prashant

try doing all that yourself, procure a gun, and then be a good boy in society, and see how court treats you.

he is a spoilt boy, unfortunately he can not be tried in juvenile court now.

true that there are bigger monsters outside, but that does not reduce his mistakes.

let's respect the judiciary and other agencies who have spent 14 years of hard work.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 15:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why people think he is the victim. He got what he deserved. He might be a good man but he committed a crime.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 16:42   #54
BHPian

Guys have any of you thought about rest of the people in the same case?? Just because we know Sanjay Dutt we feel his punishment is harsh. There may be other people who may have gotten harsher punishments.

As per law if the arms act says punishment needs to be between 5-10 yrs then the punishment is asolutely correct.

If any you feel the punishment is harsh then the arms act needs to be changed since the judge/law has to go by the book and not emotions.

Last edited by compenn : 1st August 2007 at 16:44.
compenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 16:52   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
Guys have any of you thought about rest of the people in the same case?? Just because we know Sanjay Dutt we feel his punishment is harsh. There may be other people who may have gotten harsher punishments.

As per law if the arms act says punishment needs to be between 5-10 yrs then the punishment is asolutely correct.

If any you feel the punishment is harsh then the arms act needs to be changed since the judge/law has to go by the book and not emotions.
Perfectly put! Especially the last line.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 17:19   #56
BHPian

Just a line of thought as regards Sanjay's alleged interaction with the mafia. None of us would know the true story, so this is just a hypothesis.

How many of us would have the guts to refuse if the Big D called up and said that he wanted us to attend a function of his in Dubai/KL/wherever (assuming of course, that we were a big star). Dont forget this was the nineties where the Rule of Law was eclipsed by Goonda Raj. When you heard innumerable stories about extortions and people being shot (before the police decided to crack down). Police protection??? just non-existent, and hardly effective. 90% of extortion victims those days just quietly paid up. In my opinion, the "interaction" with goons could be another type of extortion. The Big D gets some large stars at his function, giving him some prestige, whereas did the stars have much of a choice?

Just a thought to ponder on.....
kurmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 17:56   #57
BHPian

He was in contact with people wjo organized the bomb blast. He bought a 9 mm pistol (illegal), 3 AK-56 (2 of which he returned) and few grenades. All of which illegal. His excuse, he needed that to protect his family. Bullc--p.

He always had this rebellious streak in him and was friends with many gangsters. Judge Kode ignored all his friendship with dons/terrorists/prior knowledge about blasts and acquited him of TADA charges. Which in my opinion happened only because of his dad's connections. Any other ordinary person would have been definitely charged with TADA for such offences.

The punishment he has got is the minimum possible for his crimes.

People, who are arguing for his release, wake up and smell the coffee. If I commit a crime today and then turn saint, should I be acquited of my earlier crimes? He did something wrong and he will have to pay for that.

Cheers

Nitin

Last edited by ntomer : 1st August 2007 at 17:57.
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 18:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
He was in contact with people wjo organized the bomb blast. He bought a 9 mm pistol (illegal), 3 AK-56 (2 of which he returned) and few grenades. All of which illegal. His excuse, he needed that to protect his family. Bullc--p.
Lets apply the law to everyone. In the 1980s, Pawan Kumar the chief of the Hindu Suraska Samiti (Patiala) was found to have 400 grenades in his possession. To date no charges have been filed against him.

In the 1970s Bhola Pandey and Devandra Pandey hijacked an Indian Airlines plane. They both became MLAs for the current ruling party in India.

Maybe if you had people phoning you at odd hours of the day threatening to rape your sister etc you would also look at arming yourself to protect your family. It is on record he asked for police protection due to the threats which was refused. What was he supposed to do get a pen-knife ?

Last edited by bigman : 1st August 2007 at 18:22.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 18:26   #59
BANNED

And as usual we have the ones who are gleeing at the sentence ... which is unfortunate but not much one can say to them .

And possesing a fire arm ... all of us want to , but does that classify us as killers ?? And did he use it .... was he in anyway plotting or planning to use it for anything but self defense . And during the riots -- his family did receive a lot of threats as they helped the other caste !! At such a point what is one supposed to do ... or rather what would you do ??? The police as usual at that time had their hands full and dint bother to offer the family any protection ... so should we say that one should just try and sit it out and wait for the attack and then once dead .. then ask WHY ??

Bull crap ... I know of someone who during the Sikh riots of 84 went and bought something for protection as he was being threatened by Hindus for helping Sikhs and that too when he was a hindu himself !! So he went and bought the first thing he got ... coz when he went to the cops he was told to stop helping the Sikhs and things would be fine --- what should he have done ?? Luckily he didnt have to use it ... and he disposed it off once things calmed down ( after 5 yrs ) -- so should we put him behind bars as well ???

All you guys who think he got what he deserved are probably ones who have never had their lives threatened ... and probably have a halo around their heads !!! And he's done more good for society than all of you put together .... so he definitely doesnt deserve 6 yrs !!!
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 18:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

Just because someone has escaped from the law doesn't mean everyone who's accused and convicted can escape from the law. The judge is doing his duty. He can't sit and ponder on why Bhola and Devandra got away scot free. His decision is based on the facts of the case before him.

I feel threatened due to road rage in Bangalore or due to Cauvery riots. Can I get a gun and keep it? No !! The due process is to apply for a license and buy a pistol. NOT an Automatic Sub Machine Gun and definitely not from a Gangster.

Please remember the guy who took the gun from Sanjay has been convicted under TADA. the delivery guy has also been convicted under TADA. Sanjay got away on TADA. Why?
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote