Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:05   #91
BHPian
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 153
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Just to remind the prime accused and the plotters are sitting in Dubai which is only 3 hours away and laughing all the way to the bar
The Indian police & judiciary do not have the jurisdiction to go to another country and arrest them, even if it is 5 mins away - unless there is an extradition treaty. We don't have one with Dubai (AFAIK).

It works both ways, there are a lot of people who commit crimes abroad and flee to India also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
while this innocent but immature (then) person goes to jail for 6 years.
Sanjay Dutt's -
Date of Birth - 29-Jul-1959
Age (when the Mumbai blasts took place - 1993) - 34 years

I somehow don't accept that any 34 year old adult is immature to not understand what he is doing.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:58   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 771 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
...
Sanjay Dutt's -
Date of Birth - 29-Jul-1959
Age (when the Mumbai blasts took place - 1993) - 34 years

I somehow don't accept that any 34 year old adult is immature to not understand what he is doing.
Back in 80s, 90s:
Sanjay Dutt had problems with drugs. His hangout friends were gangsters, underworld. He got his three AK-56 rifles, nine magazines, 450 cartridges and over 20 hand grenades free of cost. Why would a gangster give explosives associated with terrorists for free?

Real reason for possession of weapons:
ISI wanted to extract revenge for Babri Masjid demolition. So it planned serial blasts across major Indian cities. In case of aftermath Hindu-Muslim riots, ISI wanted the Muslim community to be armed. For these 2 tasks, ISI enlisted Dawood & his gang. So with the help Dawood, ISI smuggled RDX for the serial blasts and arms for retaliation. The arms were stored in various people's house in Mumbai & other places.
Sanjay Dutt's house was one of them.
His dad, Sunil Dutt was Congress party MP. As an MP, could he not take care of himself and his spoilt brat? So Sanjay Dutt's explanation that he stored weapons for self protection is BS. But the court believed this explanation !

His fellow accused (whose who kept the weapons for underworld) are all charged under TADA. Sanjay Dutt escaped TADA !

Sanjay Dutt's friend Yusuf Nalwalla has been sentenced to five years rigorous imprisonment for possessing arms and two years rigorous imprisonment for destroying evidence. Though Yusuf did these on Sanjay's instance, Sanjay is charged under only for possessing arms !

Some links:PS: Only after recent Munnai Bhai series, he has won public sympathy. He should thank Vidhu Vinod Chopra for that. Probabaly if Salman Khan had acted in that movie, his black-buck shooting case and run-over homeless case will be forgiven (since he was seen as a good man on screen).
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:19   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,819
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Out of interest - if a person is convicted 14 years after an incident, what happens to all his earnings while the case was going on? Were his earnings then lawful?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:23   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 771 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Out of interest - if a person is convicted 14 years after an incident, what happens to all his earnings while the case was going on? Were his earnings then lawful?
Guessing:
If the person is not on bail, he is under police custody and so can't earn.
If he is on bail, he is free to earn & keep it.
Since Sanjay Dutt was on bail we can keep what he earned during those 14 years.
I have no idea about law.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:03   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,466
Thanked: 692 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Guessing:
If the person is not on bail, he is under police custody and so can't earn.
If he is on bail, he is free to earn & keep it.
Since Sanjay Dutt was on bail we can keep what he earned during those 14 years.
I have no idea about law.
As long as you pay taxes, it doesn't matter where you were when you earned the money.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:28   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default

Even I dont understand the sympathy... he commited a crime and now he's paying for it. Politician are bigger culprits that doesn't help Sanjay's cause... the fact is that he committed a crime. Imagine the plight of families who lost their near and dear one's in the blasts. The fact is he was friend's with the underworld. And I find it utter BS that he took the AK 56 for self protection, his father was a MLA for god's sake and even he's a film star. He could afford a dozen secuity men if police didnt provide him protection (very unrealistic claim this coz both his dad and himself are BIG) rather than going aganist the law and keeping no less than an AK 56 with himself. And please understand, Munna bhai is a character not Sanjay Dutt. For those who say he's a great human being, how many of you know him personally? Dont go by media, how many times have you seen someone in film industry going aganist one of their own and that "someone" in this case is a big star with an even more powerful father.
We are emotional fools and go by heart most of the time than head, even I am guilty of the same at times but in this case hundreds of poeple were killed, families destroyed, future's spoiled and even if his crime was a minor one, in the wake of the scale of the tragedy he warrants a bigger punishment. He has been let off lightly and for that he should thank Vidhu Vinod.
I am happy, this is a landmark judgment and I salute the judge who took this decision under tremendous pressure. For once I feel rule of law still exists in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Lets apply the law to everyone. In the 1980s, Pawan Kumar the chief of the Hindu Suraska Samiti (Patiala) was found to have 400 grenades in his possession. To date no charges have been filed against him.

In the 1970s Bhola Pandey and Devandra Pandey hijacked an Indian Airlines plane. They both became MLAs for the current ruling party in India.
Oh so why the rule of law at all.... let go of all killers and convicts just because so and so was not punsihed even though guilty.
Its a failure of the society at large, the fact that they hijacked an indian airlines plane and are MLA's now! And for dim witted people who voted for them, you deserve it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
And as usual we have the ones who are gleeing at the sentence ... which is unfortunate but not much one can say to them .

And possesing a fire arm ... all of us want to , but does that classify us as killers ?? And did he use it .... was he in anyway plotting or planning to use it for anything but self defense . And during the riots -- his family did receive a lot of threats as they helped the other caste !! At such a point what is one supposed to do ... or rather what would you do ??? The police as usual at that time had their hands full and dint bother to offer the family any protection ... so should we say that one should just try and sit it out and wait for the attack and then once dead .. then ask WHY ??
He could afford a dozen if not more security guards and his father was a MLA remember! Besides how many times have you seen riots happening in posh localities, do you think they are even bothered? He was not living in dharavi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Bull crap ... I know of someone who during the Sikh riots of 84 went and bought something for protection as he was being threatened by Hindus for helping Sikhs and that too when he was a hindu himself !! So he went and bought the first thing he got ... coz when he went to the cops he was told to stop helping the Sikhs and things would be fine --- what should he have done ?? Luckily he didnt have to use it ... and he disposed it off once things calmed down ( after 5 yrs ) -- so should we put him behind bars as well ???
Dude he wasnt sanjay dutt not his father was a MLA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
All you guys who think he got what he deserved are probably ones who have never had their lives threatened ... and probably have a halo around their heads !!! And he's done more good for society than all of you put together .... so he definitely doesnt deserve 6 yrs !!!
Lives threatened.... dude we didnt do anything that threatens our lives. I didnt be-friended underworld's dons neither do I have a liking for drugs and firearms. I am middle class indian the most deprieved of the lot, I have a job and I can afford little luxuries that life has to offer thats more than enough for me.

Last edited by DCEite : 3rd August 2007 at 17:33. Reason: Merging posts
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:07   #97
BANNED
 
khaadu75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: same as the proposed venue for F1 ;-)
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
He could afford a dozen if not more security guards and his father was a MLA remember! Besides how many times have you seen riots happening in posh localities, do you think they are even bothered? He was not living in dharavi.


Dude he wasnt sanjay dutt not his father was a MLA.


Lives threatened.... dude we didnt do anything that threatens our lives. I didnt be-friended underworld's dons neither do I have a liking for drugs and firearms. I am middle class indian the most deprieved of the lot, I have a job and I can afford little luxuries that life has to offer thats more than enough for me.
Who said riots don't happen in posh localities .... pls re check facts of the 84 riots and u'll notice a few surprising facts .

So what if he wasn't Sanjay Dutt ... and his father not an MLA !! His father was a powerful man and that too a saintly one .

He didnt do anything either ... he just went out and helped ppl when Bombay went mad , just that he helped the wrong community !! As for be friending Dons and liking drugs and fire arms doesn't mean that one is guilty from any angle .

As for the middle class that you claim to be and being the most deprived of the lot -- well thats something a lot of middle class guys like to believe . And he also had a job , only thing being that his job is to entertain the masses through a medium known as films . He doesn't show up -- he doesn't get paid -- isn't it something similar to your situation ???

And just because he can afford to have more luxuries .... he should be punished ???

Mate, its not about him being guilty or not guilty --- its about the term hes receeived , a bit too long for what he did . !!!
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:48   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 771 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
...
Mate, its not about him being guilty or not guilty --- its about the term hes receeived , a bit too long for what he did . !!!
The point is Sanjay Dutt knew who his friends were and what they where capable of. If his friends wanted to use his house store ammunition, he should have refused or reported to Police. He did neither. I am sure he is quite smart enough to guess what will his friends do with those weapons. Maybe he didn't care for people on whom the ammunition will be used. Even after being out on bail, he continued his contact with his friends.

Note that Sanjay Dutt is convicted not for having such friends, but for helping them in their acts, which is now known as terrorism.

If the term is bit long, then as somebody suggested, the law should be amended to that lesser term is given for that crime.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 17:28   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Who said riots don't happen in posh localities .... pls re check facts of the 84 riots and u'll notice a few surprising facts .
84 riots were different altogether. Riots like those dont happen everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
So what if he wasn't Sanjay Dutt ... and his father not an MLA !! His
father was a powerful man and that too a saintly one .
No one in politics is a saint.... they work on an agenda proposed by their party for their self interests rest everything else to be dammed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
As for be friending Dons and liking drugs and fire arms doesn't mean that one is guilty from any angle .
If you dont know, possesion of non-licenced arms and ammunations is a crime in india and it comes under TADA if those arms and ammunations aee used to damage public life and property, an act of terrorism.
He might not be wrong befriending a Don by law but he morally he is and he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
As for the middle class that you claim to be and being the most deprived of the lot -- well thats something a lot of middle class guys like to believe . And he also had a job , only thing being that his job is to entertain the masses through a medium known as films . He doesn't show up -- he doesn't get paid -- isn't it something similar to your situation ???
I repeat he isnt "middle" class guy, he never was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
And just because he can afford to have more luxuries .... he should be punished ???
No, because he committed a crime. I dont buy the argument that he didnt knew why arms were being kept at his place by the don being a 34 year old man. He could and should have been a little more apprehensive. A lot of other bollywood stars also get threats from the underworld but that doesnt mean they will keep AK 56's with them. Mind you they have a family, brothers and sisters as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Mate, its not about him being guilty or not guilty --- its about the term hes receeived , a bit too long for what he did . !!!
More than 250 people were killed.... even if he had a small role to play in this, this term is too short. He's lucky he is not convicted under TADA unlike his accomplice which arent lucky becaue they are not sanjay dutt and son of a politician and not munna bhai.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 3rd August 2007 at 17:29.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 17:55   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,274
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

extreme_torque and khaadu75 both of u forgot about the hand grenades.Even a 15 year old would know what are hand grenades and what are they used for.With the Ak 56 they had stored the hand grenades too.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 18:27   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,819
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

This case was argued on different courts for 13 years - do the two of you think you're going to come up with something here and now that they havent discovered and discussed to death already?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 19:51   #102
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,603
Thanked: 138 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
No one in politics is a saint.... they work on an agenda proposed by their party for their self interests rest everything else to be dammed.
E_T, please don't generalize that for all politicians! There are some gentlemen too!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 20:03   #103
BANNED
 
khaadu75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: same as the proposed venue for F1 ;-)
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
E_T, please don't generalize that for all politicians! There are some gentlemen too!
Just curious .... name me a few
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 20:10   #104
BANNED
 
khaadu75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: same as the proposed venue for F1 ;-)
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
This case was argued on different courts for 13 years - do the two of you think you're going to come up with something here and now that they havent discovered and discussed to death already?
Wudn't TBHP get boring then ....
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 21:49   #105
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 680
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Why is there no sympathy for the three policemen who allowed RDX and arms to land? Probably they had no knowledge of what was in the trucks and thought it was a routine smuggling excercise. Sanjay Dutt is rich and can afford to own guns legally but he didnt. On the other hand these blokes are poor and were in just to make a quick buck. Forget a wave of sympathy in the media and elsewhere, these blokes don't even get a mention in the news nor a thread on Tbhp. What does that prove?
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woman driver sentenced to 5 years in prison in drunk driving case harshaguduru Street Experiences 32 19th January 2015 15:04
Sanjay Dutt gets a Rs 3-crore bus for poll campaign diwa Commercial Vehicles 49 1st April 2009 16:45
EDIT : Pics/ Videos(Page 9) Sanjay Dutt's Ferrari F430 ITS_NOMAD Super-Cars & Imports in India 170 22nd May 2008 19:34
What do you think happens inside the Indian Prison? mjothi Shifting gears 3 15th April 2008 18:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks