Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th August 2007, 01:15   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
And just because he can afford to have more luxuries .... he should be punished ???

Mate, its not about him being guilty or not guilty --- its about the term hes receeived , a bit too long for what he did . !!!
What he did was terrible, according to the law of the land as well as the social law. It was such an insensitive thing to do when you know that innocent lives are to be taken/have been taken. If i was the judge, i would have hung him, that is why I am not one, because i do not know the law, just like most people here. So let us not pass judgements on the judge, he knows his job better than us.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 01:43   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Mate, its not about him being guilty or not guilty --- its about the term hes receeived , a bit too long for what he did . !!!
Its not like courts and police care much about what the man on the street thinks (billion people, billion opinions) but the judge was indeed considerate in that he gave the minimum possible punishment under the sections he was charged with.

Sanjay Dutt, as some people already noted here, was charged for 1. Possessing illegal arms 2. Inciting another person to destroy evidence. he was convicted for both and sentenced only 6 years. CBI wanted 10 years IIRC.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 14:01   #108
Senior - BHPian

The media here is absolutely sick. In any news regarding sanjay dutt he is addressed munna bhai! Munnabhai for god's sake was just a character, I wonder if people had same sympathy had munna bhai not released.
We now have a blog... Is this Justice? I dont understand the psyche of the people here. They make a hue and cry when rich and the mighty get off scott free from the arms of law, when the judgement is delivered like in sanjay dutts case, a large majority is still not happy with it! Sick!

Not even a single new channel out there wants to call the spade, a spade.
They know it all better than all of us here but still....

Last edited by extreme_torque : 8th August 2007 at 14:05.
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 14:30   #109
Senior - BHPian

"Whoever does not feel compassion for Sanjay Dutt should go to a cardiologist because he would have a heart problem,"
Information and Broadcasting Minister, Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi

Again justifying his remarks Dasmunsi said: "As minister in charge of matters relating to the film industry, I am concerned with the well-being of those working there."

More: The Hindu : New Delhi News : Sibal, Dasmunsi defend Sanjay
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 16:15   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The media here is absolutely sick. In any news regarding sanjay dutt he is addressed munna bhai!

I have been amazed at the stupidity of the media, politicians and people. And to think that they are all adults! Everyone seems to be behaving like teenagers. The media also reported that when he was being taken to the Yerwada jail, people out there were shouting "Munnabhai Zindabad!" And to add to this the media keeps telling us that Munnabhai is going to spend time in the Yerwada Jail where Mahatma Gandhi also spent some time! This constant Munnabhai, Gandhi comparision is getting sick.

For those who believe that the punishment is too harsh, from what I know, the law prescribes a punishment of a minimum of 5 to maximum of 10 years for illegal possession of arms. Sanjay got 6 years. I don't see how it's harsh or too long. In fact, I'd say he got away lightly. Imagine the frenzy if he was given 10 years. And NOT ONE WORD for Judge Kode. Shouldn't we applaud him for not getting swayed by all the public sympathy?

Lastly, even bollywood is out in full support. Would they be as supportive if he was a flop actor? Back in 1993, not one word was said by most of the bollywood actors/producers/directors because Sanjay wasn't as successful back then. What about the public? Would there be as much sympathy if instead of Sanjay, Aftab Shivdasani was convicted?

There are so many issues that should be taken up by the media, there is so much they can do to keep our politicians on their toes and make this country a better place but seems like our media is obsessed with Sanjay Dutt, Nagin's and Ghosts.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 17:02   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I have been amazed at the stupidity of the media, politicians and people.
I completely agree with you. I too cannot understand the arguments behind people portraying Sanjay Dutt as a victim. In the past few days, I have heard supporting arguments like -

1. The judgment is too harsh.
2. Why couldn't he be fined instead
3. He is a good person ...

and so on.

The facts are quite straightforward and when considered un-emotionally, (as Amit said) he has gotten off quite lightly.

Consider that

1. He has been found to be guilty of a crime (illegally possessing arms) in the court.
2. There is a prescribed range of punishment for that crime as per Indian Law.
3. He has been sentenced to a (almost min) punishment as per the Law.
4. If anyone of us were guilty of the same crime, we would get punished equally (or perhaps more).

So why should Sanjay Dutt be treated any differently?

Why are we up in arms when the law has been upheld and a person has not been treated specially in the eyes of the Law?

I don't know, but I am beginning to get the impression that a lot of people do not actually want the our Law to treat everyone equally. People we like (politicians, filmstars, etc) should be treated leniently and people we do not should be given a fair (read harsh) sentence.

To me, this sounds like we want Mob Rule.

p.s. This is a personal opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 12:47   #112
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Bail Granted to Sanju Baba !!!! Cheers !!!!

Mod Note: Threads merged. Please do not start new threads when a similar topic exists.

Hello, Great news for sanjay Dutt's Fans - Bail has just been granted by SC in Breaking News.

I am so happy for him, Poor guy has suffered a lot and finally he gets something going in his favour. Your comments guys !!!

Finally he is going to drive his Ferrari !!!

News from NDTV -

NDTV Correspondent

Monday, August 20, 2007 (New Delhi)

The Supreme Court has granted interim bail to Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt in the Mumbai serial blasts case. Five others have also been granted interim bail.

While granting bail, the apex court said Dutt's passport will remain with the trial court and he cannot leave the country without its permission.

Convicted last November on charges of possessing illegal fire arms in the run-up to the Mumbai serial bombings of March 1993, Dutt was sentenced to a six-year jail term on July 31 by a TADA Court.

The TADA court is yet to give a copy of the detailed order of his conviction.

Dutt has been ordered to go back to jail when he gets a copy of the conviction order, which may be handed over to him in September.

Reacting to the order, Union Minister for Science and Technology Kapil Sibal said, ''As Dutt is not charged under TADA, bail was expected''.

On August 10, the SC had refused to grant urgent hearing of Dutt's bail plea. The actor is currently lodged in Pune's Yerwada jail.

Last edited by Rtech : 20th August 2007 at 13:27.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 12:56   #113
Senior - BHPian

mast news re baba!

what a relief!

@ sanju baba - all the best!

@ dippy - aab to Sanju hee "chalayega" Ferrari!

Last edited by planet_rocker : 20th August 2007 at 12:58.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 12:57   #114
BHPian

CELEBRATING INDIA'S 60 YRS !!

So you think this is a great way to celebrate 60 years of India's Freedom!!!!

This is a completely confused country with the wrong people on the wrong side of the bars.

Anyway, what does a simple mortal like me have to say on about the big mob of idol worshippers.
gbpscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 13:01   #115
Senior - BHPian

Our judicial system sucks!! Priya Dutt went to Sonia Gandhi immediately after Sanju's arrest.... details of the meeting unknown till date....Sanju applies in SC, gets bail. One Word : ~RIDICOLOUS~
panky12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 13:10   #116
Senior - BHPian

Oye Panky ... are you not a Sanju Fan !!!

You see , he is paying the price of a celebrity , getting much more punishment than he deserves. Give the huy a break, he has already spent 18 months in Jail.

I wish he could be set free once & for all. Cheers !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 13:10   #117
Senior - BHPian

Its just a bail that he has got. Needs to go to jail once he gets his conviction order which he hasn't got yet. I have nothing against Sanjay Dutt. I just hope law/justice prevails at the end.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 13:14   #118
Senior - BHPian

there is lot of money riding on Sanju in Film Industry

so he was bound to get bail to at least complete the pending projects

money works everywhere
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 13:33   #119
BANNED

Time to get ready for the next Munna Bhai movie ...... for all those who cribbing -- actually I better not start !! Everyone is entitled to his opinion I guess .... though a lot of ppl give opinions as if they are so righteous in their own lives . Im sure everyone has skeletons that would enable them to a few punishments as well ....

GREAT THAT HES OUT .........
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 14:31   #120
Senior - BHPian

Amazing news! Am gonna party HARD today!!
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote