Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do sleeping passengers annoy you while you are driving?
Yes, quite a lot! 37 19.89%
No, it doesn't affect me. 150 80.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th August 2007, 14:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Must say quite a few lucky blokes here! Now these passengers sleeping in your car, are they usually sleeping with their spouses, or something you manage on the road?
Nope, the passengers themselves were picked up from the road.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 14:25   #62
BHPian

Yep, it's on long drives when people can think of a nap. If the road is good i dont disturb the them at all. But again, a long drive is more than just a drive and I do like everyone to enjoy it with their own eyes!!

However in the city i would prefer to have a conversation going and not be a mere chauffeur.
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 14:31   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i would prefer to have a conversation going and not be a mere chauffeur.
That's it! Exactly

It also explains why I get uncomfortable if there is a conversation going, but in a language I don't understand.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 14:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

No, it does not disturb me at all. In fact I like it when passengers are sleeping, coz then they do not complain how I drive
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 18:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

I'd prefer passengers to be asleep when I drive, but only on long drives, I prefer the peace and quiet as I can concentrate on the road better.
Usually I even don't have music playing (many arguments with co-passengers over this) I like to listen to the sound of my car.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 18:15   #66
BHPian

I listen to music and doesn't bother if they sleep.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 21:02   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont mind someone sleeping while i am driving... as long as they are in the back seat.

I had a near nasty experience few years back. Was drivin back from Goa in my colleagues M800. We were 3 of us in the car (incl. me) and i was the only one who knew driving.

Had been driving for more than 10 hours with just a couple of pee breaks and one lunch break. It was a lil past midnight and the guy in the front seat dozed off (head swaying and snoring loudly). I was dead tired but couldnt stop for the night as it was critical to reach blore at the earliest. I managed to doze off for about 3-4 secs and one hard bump awoke me.

To my left was a 20 foot descend to the fields and around 40 feet in front was a massive tree (i had careened to the extreme left and was drivin on gravel. speed around 110kmph). Thanx to the bump i awoke, slammed the brakes and swerved. The 800 did a 360 and stopped on the other side of the road (luckily no median).

The guy beside me awoke with a jolt (stupid guy also had a lit ciggie in his hand and ended up burnin a nice hole in my favorite tommy jeans ). I blasted the crap outta him as i was dead tired and had told him to keep me engaged in conversation so i wudnt doze off.

His response was - Arrey music is there no? then why you feelin sleepy? I just wanted to leave him and the car there and hitch hike back home.

As long as i am fresh and wide awake, someone sleepin in the front makes no difference, but the equation changes drastically when fatigue sets in.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 21:07   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I dont mind someone sleeping while i am driving... as long as they are in the back seat.

As long as i am fresh and wide awake, someone sleepin in the front makes no difference, but the equation changes drastically when fatigue sets in.
I agree with you on this.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 21:28   #69
BHPian

Well Aditya, You should not have driven if you were fatigued. Better late than never - cardinal rule of driving!

Once a funny incident happened many years ago when I was travelling to the airport in Kolkata in a yellow cab. I had to catch an early morning flight, and it was around 5 that I started out from home. As we were nearing the Park Circus connector, I casually looked at the RVM from the backseat and was appalled to find that the cabbie was dozing off, with his eyes half closed. I patted his back and he opened his eyes with a start. He kept assuring me that he was okay. Then while we were on the EM Bypass, I suddenly realised that our cab was gaining on the car ahead even though the brake lights of the car in front were on. I shook him and screeched to a halt inches away from the rear fender of the car. I decided that was it, but there was no cab in sight. So I told him to wash his face, and scolded him for dozing on the wheel. Then an idea came to me, and I asked him to move to the other side and I took over the wheels and drove to the airport in time. The first and only time I drove a yellow cab. My colleagues, who were also travelling with me, were amazed at first and then in splits to see me alighting from the driver's side of the cab and paying for the ride! The driver was so thankful, he actually carried my luggage to the trolley (in Calcutta, cab drivers will not even touch your luggage)
wheelsNsqueals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 23:45   #70
BHPian

It never bothers me to have people sleeping in the car when I'm driving.
I actually tell them to sleep if I notice them staring at the road ahead like zombies.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 23:59   #71
BHPian

Smile hmmm nice poll

I have driven a car (Omni) not for long... though and sleeping people do not disturb me...I guess that is one of the ways it keeps a driver active...rather than having just music......
lancersfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 00:18   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals View Post
Well Aditya, You should not have driven if you were fatigued. Better late than never - cardinal rule of driving!
My colleagues, who were also travelling with me, were amazed at first and then in splits to see me alighting from the driver's side of the cab and paying for the ride! The driver was so thankful, he actually carried my luggage to the trolley (in Calcutta, cab drivers will not even touch your luggage)
WOW! you lucky guy you drove a yellow cab!

in my case it was a Vikram and i got to drive it!
xinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 00:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I dont care what the passenger does as long as I'm driving - you can sleep or read or watch movies on a dvd screen, but you CANT SNORE!
Yeah? I have a different tale about someone in the back of my Baleno.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 10:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals View Post

Once a funny incident happened many years ago when I was travelling to the airport in Kolkata in a yellow cab. I had to catch an early morning flight, and it was around 5 that I started out from home. As we were nearing the Park Circus connector, I casually looked at the RVM from the backseat and was appalled to find that the cabbie was dozing off, with his eyes half closed. I patted his back and he opened his eyes with a start. He kept assuring me that he was okay. Then while we were on the EM Bypass, I suddenly realised that our cab was gaining on the car ahead even though the brake lights of the car in front were on. I shook him and screeched to a halt inches away from the rear fender of the car. I decided that was it, but there was no cab in sight. So I told him to wash his face, and scolded him for dozing on the wheel. Then an idea came to me, and I asked him to move to the other side and I took over the wheels and drove to the airport in time. The first and only time I drove a yellow cab. My colleagues, who were also travelling with me, were amazed at first and then in splits to see me alighting from the driver's side of the cab and paying for the ride! The driver was so thankful, he actually carried my luggage to the trolley (in Calcutta, cab drivers will not even touch your luggage)
I too have done this quite recently, was accompanying my wife and her colleague to Mangalore on their official trip (I was there cos I had nothing better to do back home), it was a horrible Indicab, we changed cabs as soon as we left bangalore city, the replacement was a tad better, but the same driver.

Just after Hassan on the Byepass road, the driver was going all over the road, asked him if he was sleepy, he said he'd been driving all of the previous day and had returned at 3 am only to be told to drive us at 6 am to Mangalore.

I asked him to stop the car and said I'm taking over, he gladly gave up the wheel(something which cabbies normally are averse to), drove all the way to Mangalore with our man snoring by my side and two amused women in the back seat.

The car needless to say was crap, the only time I've really floored the throttle in a car and the car could only manage 70kmph!! It was a year old Tata Indicab with about 70k on the odo.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 11:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys for going OT

@ Mclaren - refer the title of the thread - how can people who are sleeping annoy you ? It should be - Do you get annoyed by passengers sleeping when you drive ?

God - I am reading too much of Sam's proper English thread - time to go and wash my face. I am out of here.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote