Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Will you let others drive your car ?
No way. Only over my dead body. 33 21.85%
Oh yes. What's the big deal ? It's just a machine. 6 3.97%
Depends on who asks for the keys 112 74.17%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th August 2007, 11:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

When I owned a Palio I refused to give my car even to my wife. So she had to get another one for herself . However, nowadays I have become more lenient but that does not mean that I will hand over the keys to anybody.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Except my dad no one gets the keys to my 800 not even my best friend.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:28   #18
BHPian

except my dad and a close frd no one else has driven the car. will surly give to others depending on who asks for the keys.
deepak_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

If I am driving somewhere & have a friend with me, I would always prefer
that he drive, rather than me as long as he wants to.

I would give my car to anyone who has a license & knows how to
operate it as long as the journey is for my purpose.

If someone wants to take my car & go somewhere on his work alone, then
I would have to think - maybe only close friends.

All in all, it's just a damn machine.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:34   #20
BHPian

I second bottle on that. Even I don't mind giving the keys to someone who's good at handling the car.
adman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wow, man, bottle, you made my day.
Now time to open the bottle, SB ?
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:53   #22
BHPian

Smile

I don't give my car to anybody to drive - maybe my dad but since I'm away from home never had to face that situation

infact when I was driving my dad's car in Pune during college days, never let anyone drive that either

So i am possessive about any car thats closely related to me!!

I get lotsa crap from office colleagues and close friends "come on man its just a santro - I'll only take 1 round" hehe no way. On the other hand there are people in office, who are mostly contemplating who will drive their car when we head out for lunch!!
The only people who have driven my car are the hyundai servicing guys

Cheers,
j
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
A good topic I must say.

When I say car has to be idled for 10mins every morning, some drive off without bothering to my words (saying why you need to idle). .
Do you idle your car for 10mins everyday ?? Or was that a typo ?.
Idling it for a min or 2 is more than sufficient to warm up the engine, and that's what I follow everyday.

For me it depends on who asks me for the keys...
Well guys I have question for the TBhpian's whao have opted for the 1st option. What do you do when your car has gone/ been for a service ?
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:59   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Do you idle your car for 10mins everyday ?? Or was that a typo ?.
Idling it for a min or 2 is more than sufficient to warm up the engine, and that's what I follow everyday.
No it was not a typo. My car runs on high compression, coupled with a racing cam and hordes of other stuff. I have been warned by my tuner not to start driving the car until the temperatures reach the half way mark. Thus.... Also unless and until the engine is warmed up well it wont climb the ramp of my basement parking.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 12:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
No it was not a typo. My car runs on high compression, coupled with a racing cam and hordes of other stuff. I have been warned by my tuner not to start driving the car until the temperatures reach the half way mark. Thus.... Also unless and until the engine is warmed up well it wont climb the ramp of my basement parking.
Off topic..
Ok fine. So do you also idle your engine before you stop the car for the day ? If yes for how long ?
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 12:07   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Off topic..
Ok fine. So do you also idle your engine before you stop the car for the day ? If yes for how long ?
Yes, I do idle the car before I stop the car all the time. Not necessarily end of day. Say about a minute or two if I know my car won't be started again for the day or until the condenser fan goes off. If I am driving continously and stop in between, car takes about 20 seconds to warm up and I idle it for an equal time before shutting it off.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 12:27   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha
I have question for the TBhpian's whao have opted for the 1st option. What do you do when your car has gone/ been for a service ?
Nice question. I cannot avoid the service guys driving the few metres from the MASS parking to the service bay and back to the reception after service is done. But I can avoid the test drive they do as part of the service, by expressly mentioning it while giving car for service and making it a point to have them write it down on the job card.

They usually go, "But saar, we are supposed to do a test drive after the service.". I tell them to not bother about that and that I will test it myself. It works.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 12:29   #28
BHPian

Smile

now imagine one of those disaster movies (volcano, earthquake, aliens etc) and the star (pierce brosnan, etc) with all the people he wants to save in the back of the car, and then he is idling the car for 10 mins cos otherwise it won't climb out the parking lot

Sorry mcl couldn't help the irony after imagining one of those movie scenes hehe no offense meant though - i completely understand the tlc needed for a car like yours. I am paranoid giving my santro to valets and servicing guys, imagine what will happen when i get a more expensive car and spruce it up !!

Sushrutha - i am guessing most people have to let the servicing guys drive their car and have no option in that one scenario.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 12:29   #29
Team-BHP Support

Like SB mentioned, thats something you really cant help with. As far as possible, i try to ensure that I am the one driving. But once inside their premises, its usually their duty, and so i hold back.

I never hand over my car keys to valet parking guys. Gave it once to the guys at Amoeba, and i was seen looking for my car in their parking lot about 10mins later. Got back the keys from them on the pretext i needed to get something from my car.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th August 2007 at 12:31.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 12:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
It depends on the person who is asking for (whoever it may be). If I like the persons attitude (i.e treat the car as your own,) is good, I really don't care even if he/she is a newbie.

There are instances where my car got scratched by my friends & I even dont bother to ask them how and where did it happened.
I voted for Option-2 (third option was not available then), but belonged to Option-3 (refer my earlier post )
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote