Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Will you let others drive your car ?
No way. Only over my dead body. 33 21.85%
Oh yes. What's the big deal ? It's just a machine. 6 3.97%
Depends on who asks for the keys 112 74.17%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th May 2008, 16:02   #61
BHPian

I placed my vote for the option 3 - depends on who asks for the keys!

OT: This particular joke looks apt here in this thread, so here goes....

"What would you say about a man who goes around to open the door of his car, for his wife, every time they go out ? - Either the CAR is new or the WIFE!!! "

Mods: Please delete/move this post if inappropriate.

cheers!
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 16:35   #62
BHPian

My option is option # 3. Depends on who asks the key. Usually my wife used to take the car and she is a good driver. And I never mind giving the car to my best friends, whom I know well and are experienced drivers. After all, for me best friends are ranked above cars . But the main issue I face is the seat adjustment done by service / security guys. Most of these people pull the seat to extreme front, like they should touch their nose on windscreen and pull up the back rest 90 degrees up as well as the ORVMs and IRVM. I find it irritating and take a lot of time to adjust mirrors / seat to my comfort level. Whenever I remember, I used to tell these guys not to do this if they can manage.

Last edited by redfire : 5th May 2008 at 16:36.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 00:31   #63
BHPian

i just happened to revive this thread again

i'll go with option 3, for me it's not how good one drives the car but how safe he drives it 2 people i respect a lot have driven my car one of then is damanjeet chauhan (chauhan travels) and not to forget my mech
Lancer.ized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 11:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

im always on the edge of my seat when some one else is driving my Palio. The Camry i absolutely do not allow any one to drive her My dad's the only one who trusts me with the car and im the only one who trusts me i cant stop thinking about a particular scratch due to a mornonic indica recently.The best part is i remeber dodging his stupidity when he jumped the signal and almost Banged into me in a T section. He still managed to kiss me and leave a love bite.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 13:20   #65
BHPian

It is indeed edgy to sit in your car when you are not drving, i am perpetually on tenterhooks if someone else is driving my car but still there are few people whom you are comfortable giving your car keys to!!!
T_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 14:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Default You toucha mah cah - I breaka your face!

I hate to let someone else drive my car (bike), a short TD however is OK. There have been very few people I have trusted my vehicle(s) with, all of them were accomplished drivers (much better than I can ever hope to be). Even with them driving I was on tenterhooks all the time.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 16:59   #67
BHPian

Default Re: How possessive are you about your car ?

My car hasn't been driven by anyone except by a friend with whom I went to get the car from the showroom... until... that day when my parents had to travel to Bombay and I had my exams. My mom said "We could hire a driver for the day!"
My heart just sank.. I just didn't want to give it to any 3rd person just like that.
Couldn't help it. Had to give in due to circumstances. But it seems he turned out good.. Hey, What the heck!
arrowaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 17:42   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

@arrowaby, I almost forgot I created such a thread till you brought it back to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
In the 2.5 years that I have had my car, the only other person to drive it was my Dad and that too like a TD for a few kms. Ofcourse, even if I wanted to, I could not say no to him, given that I have been driving his cars for so many years.
It has been another 4.5 years since I posted the above and nothing has changed as far as anyone else driving my car is concerned. I did offer the car to wifey many a time so that she can get used to geared cars (she drives an A-Star_AT), but she always had some excuse like, "it is too big" "too powerful" etc etc.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 17:54   #69
BHPian

In my case, the possessiveness is increasing as the days go by! I am planning to buy a new one, but during this phase I am getting more attached to my existing one! :-)

And as someone mentioned, I hate it when service guys ruin my Seating position / ORVM / Side-view mirrors!

It is amazing. I thought I was crazy, then met many like-minded insane people here! :-P
SupratikDebnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 23:28   #70
BHPian

I placed my vote for the option 3 - depends on who asks for the keys.

I give my car keys only to those who respect and know how a car should be driven something like this,

Quote from Transporter 2: "Respect a man's car, a man respects you."

-Sajan
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote