Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Will you let others drive your car ?
No way. Only over my dead body. 33 21.85%
Oh yes. What's the big deal ? It's just a machine. 6 3.97%
Depends on who asks for the keys 112 74.17%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th August 2007, 10:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Smile How possessive are you about your car ?

Inspiration for creating this thread came from the following posts that are part of the thread-on-dragging-tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
give the car to me & I will show you in real time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
Thats never gonna happen john.
Just wondering how possessive tbhp-ians are about their car. Like n_aditya, I also cannot imagine someone else driving my car.

In the 2.5 years that I have had my car, the only other person to drive it was my Dad and that too like a TD for a few kms. Ofcourse, even if I wanted to, I could not say no to him, given that I have been driving his cars for so many years.

On the other hand we have guys on the forum who have no qualms in handing over their car keys to friends. And mind you, not just for normal driving, but even on track. Something unimaginable for me.

Just wanted to know the general trend @tbhp. Just 2 poll options :
- you wont let anyone drive your car.
- i dont really care about that.

@Mods, I did do a search to find an existing thread, but could not manage to sift through the tonnes of pages that the search engine spewed out in response to my keywords. Do merge/modify/delete if thread already exists.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 10:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

It depends on the person who is asking for (whoever it may be). If I like the persons attitude (i.e treat the car as your own,) is good, I really don't care even if he/she is a newbie.

There are instances where my car got scratched by my friends & I even dont bother to ask them how and where did it happened.

Last edited by Surprise : 9th August 2007 at 10:45.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 10:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

I had to put up with a cold war from both my own brother as well as wifey as i refused to hand over the car keys to them.

News about the same also reached home, and my relatives started questioning me about it.

Only time i was forced to hand over the car keys to someone else was during my maiden long distance trip. My best buddy was asked to take over by my wife, who thought i was driving too slow and rather TOO carefully, and possibly tired too. After driving like a madman for some time my buddy finally handed the keys back to me, as he couldnt bear to see me sulking.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 10:51   #4
BANNED

Hi,

I am very possesive about my car but would not mind handing the keys to someone I know who most importanly treats his own cars well & maintains them and knows how to control it.

If they dont maintain and respect their own cars no way on earth will they get the keys to mine.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 10:51   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

A good topic I must say.

Fortunately I used to belong to that category who used to throw my keys to anyone who wanted to drive my car. For me, it was hard to say "NO" to anyone who asked the keys to my car (provided they know driving well). I have lost a count on number of people who have driven my car on roads mostly TBHPians only. Some have even driven on track.

However, after spending an awful lot of money on the engine and other works on the car I somehow seem to have made up my mind not to carry on the above mentioned practice anymore. Now, I refuse to give the keys to my car to anyone except my dad. Maybe I may give them to someone at odd times to get a feedback on the car. But, I have refused the best of friends recently. And have had to hear some nasty things from them as well.

Maybe its got to do with the fact that not many will respect your love for the car or look at it as their one time chance at a thrill. When I say car has to be idled for 10mins every morning, some drive off without bothering to my words (saying why you need to idle). When I say don't push the car I cannot have the Neova's destroyed, people will do burn outs saying how does it matter you have so many spare tires at home anyway. And so on.

Fact of the matter is, I am comfortable giving any of my stock cars or mildly modded cars to any of my friends provided they can drive well. Not otherwise. The current state my baleno is in, I wouldn't let anyone drive it.
I know I am going to get a lot of stick when some of my close friends read this. But, thats the way it is. AHA aha .
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 10:52   #6
BHPian

I hate to give my vehicle for TD even. The only two exceptions in my past 8 years are my elder brother ( he is a better driver to me) and one of my best buddy ( I was not happy, but then it was a long whole night driving, and I wanted rest.)
chanapli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 10:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

I normally dont give my vehicle to just anybody. They can drive my vehicle only under my supervision.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 10:59   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Can we have another option? Depends on who asks for the keys?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:00   #9
BHPian

The only person i hand over my car keys to are my dad, and his driver if i have no other option (Like once, when i was doing my MBA, i had to give my driver the car keys so that he could drove the car from the IIM Indore campus to Gandhinagar, Gujarat - thats where my parents stay)

I have seen people literally ra** others cars royally. For example, during my MBA, there were 5 cars on campus, 1 zen, 3 800s(including mine) and an Omni. I was the only guy who never gave his car to anyone. Thanks to that, my car was never in an accident (the omni was in a major one, with the occupants having to spend 3-4 days in the hospital), never had its steering column ripped off (one of the 800's, and the "culprit" never owned up), and was never left in the middle of the road for want of a spare tyre or empty fuel tanks. In fact, of all the car owners, i was the only guy who had a car to drive when needed, since all the other cars were in various forms of dis-repair, or on the roads between my campus and Indore.
ashwin390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I second this option.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d
I second this option.
A valid request, given that I see quite some responses belonging to this category.

Mods, could you be kind enough to add another option to the poll, namely, "Depends on who asks for the keys". Thanks.
Old 9th August 2007, 11:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

depends on who asks for keys too.. say i dont mind giving keys to supremebaleno since i know hes a careful driver :P
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:08   #13
BHPian

The answer to the poll is not straight.

I would hand over the keys to a friend / relative whom I know well and is sure will take good care of the car. To anyone else, its a strict no-no.

During my college days this class mate of mine took my new RX100 for a ride. On seeking feedback, he said there was a rattle from the engine @ 120 kmph...! I stopped short of mauling him.
alabjarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:08   #14
BHPian

Add another option "Yes only if absolutely necessary"
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 11:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, man, bottle, you made my day.