Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th January 2009, 01:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post
What nobody is mentioning is high noise levels compared to any other city. There are about 1 lakh autos with defective/modified silencers running here. This will cause long term health effects.
Glad someone mentioned this. Never heard noisier autos, but then my experience is mostly from Delhi.

Safety is not the best, but I wouldn't say it is bad either. Don't stay out late or stop for anything post 7PM. That includes cops (might not be). Prepare to be harassed if you intend to retain your vehicle's MH registration. Even if you pay the all important Road Tax, every other cop will try and fleece you cos there's nothing externally present on the car that indicates that you have. Never seen a city so desperate for road tax; best part is that one doesn't really see it being used as intended anywhere.

House at 9k: You'll find plenty, just not where you want. Be prepared to travel a bit.

Traffic: The worst you can imagine, and then multiply by about 100. Worse during peak (office) hours. Add a few 6 hour jams due to the odd politician, and you get the picture.

Nightlife: Well, I work, so don't really stay out late on weekdays. Bit of a pain on weekends, but one gets used to it.

Cops are possibly the cheapest to bribe! 20-50Rs, and they're not shy either. Second the statement that they're the worst at policing, though. Can't mind traffic for nuts, and generally are the cause of traffic jams. Are polite, though.

People: Learn Kannada. If you don't, do not get into any conflict. Even if you are right, and ESPECIALLY not with any driver (bus/auto/taxi). These guys will ditch their occupants and vehicle to gang up against you.

What you will enjoy are the weather (unless you suffer from asthma or any other chest related problems, in which case you'll probably get worse), the many places of interest in close proximity and maybe a couple of the malls.

I don't think there's anything that particularly recommends Bangalore as such, coming from Mumbai. But then there's a lot of "perspective and preference" that goes into such decisions.

PS: Since this is so much after the initial query, what did you decide?

Last edited by VeluM : 30th January 2009 at 01:36.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 08:22   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Guys,
I might be relocating to Bangalore sometime in September/October.
Would like to know the rent of a a decent 1BHK for rent near the Whitefield area. How is the area in general?
As others have mentioned, 1BHKs are rare to come by, and dont really offer so much in terms of lower rent. 2BHKs are the norm.

Whitefield is literally dead on weekends without the office crowds. Access to outside food will be slightly difficult, unless you want to spend on stuff like fast food on a regular basis.

A better option would be to look at Marathalli which is just about 6-8 kms from Whitefield, and offers you good connectivity through Volvos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Guys, I know everyone loves to bash up bangalore. But if you compare on all counts , weather, commute times, cost of living, cosmopolitan atmosphere etc, I am still to find another big city that is more liveable.
True to an extent. When i relocated here, it was initially torture for me. I hated the city so much that i just wanetd to run away and rued my decision of relocating from Hyd which i loved. For my wife and myself having our offices on opposite ends of the city made matters a whole lot worse. Add traffic and crazy real estate prices to the equation, and it was a nightmare.

More than two years down the line, we have learnt to adapt. We now see the city also for the good things it offers, despite all the shortcomings. My wife still complains about travel time though, since between the two of us, its her who has to brave the traffic over a much longer distance.

As a Keralite, the best part about Bangaore is easy access to my home state specially when you have old parents, as well as easily available Keralite cuisine.

Was this a right choice? I dont know, but i do not regret it all that much now. Hyderabad was equally good for me, if not way better.

I do not intend to debate, the above are my personal views.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 08:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

Benny, you have reflected my views. Me too, when I came to Bangalore never liked to stay here. Infact I did not shift or relocate my house for almost one year thinking i may not be here for long. Thinking and thinking now its 3yrs and still here

@DCEite - You can also check the AECS layout or the BEML Layout. This area would be better if you work in ITPL area. A typical 2BHK would start from 10K, but you can search along to get a better deal.

And this area do not have issues with food on weekend. Feel free to PM me if you need any info. Good luck.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 08:51   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Guys, I know everyone loves to bash up bangalore. But if you compare on all counts , weather, commute times, cost of living, cosmopolitan atmosphere etc, I am still to find another big city that is more liveable.
+1

Learn Kannada and you'll find people opening up even more. It need not be perfect but the attempt to learn /speak is what counts.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 10:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

What are the rentals in Marathalli and ITPL/AECS/BEML etc.?
My budget is about 9k max :-( and i don't want a place far away from WhiteFields.

P.S. Time is on my side, more than 6 months to go!

Last edited by DCEite : 30th January 2009 at 10:31.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 10:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
What are the rentals in Marathalli ...
I paid 8K for 2BHK at Marathalli (road opp to innovative multiplex) till last month. and one of my friend is paying 6K for 1BHK at the same area!
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 12:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

People: Learn Kannada. If you don't, do not get into any conflict. Even if you are right, and ESPECIALLY not with any driver (bus/auto/taxi). These guys will ditch their occupants and vehicle to gang up against you.
Is it not the same everywhere? if one is thinking of relocating to anywhere it makes a lot of sense to get a decent hold on the language spoken in that place.

Me being a pakka Bangalorean would prefer to move out if i get a good opportunity( Prefer GOa

On a serious note the main concern here is bad infrastructure, and i dont see it improving. the only thing which has been going on is cut tress and widen roads by this the green cover what Bangalore was known for is also getting lost.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 12:18   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
....the only thing which has been going on is cut tress and widen roads by this the green cover what Bangalore was known for is also getting lost.
Well, isnt wider roads one of the important req for better infrastructure?

Coming to other probs:
1. Indiscipline on the roads - if this is curbed, our city will be a lot better to travel around
2. Every other person wants to drive a car - without actually knowing what he is doing - slow driving, inbtwn lanes, bike/auto ishtyle driving - wrong side overtaking, etc. Just look at a traffic junction. How many cars are really 1 behind another, in an orderly fashion? forget behind each other, stopped with their wheels aligned straight? how many bikes/scooters are vying to sneak past around you? if possible, even above you i guess.
3. Parking around road junctions: When will our people learn? Autos/buses/Callcentre cabs... all want to stop only where two road intersect.

Gosh, I can go on with this bangalore traffic bashing..

The point is, Bangalore is beautiful. It still has a human touch to it, which I feel is not the same in other big cities in our country. It may be because it is still relatively small, has relatively educated people & hence peaceful (some snobs too, but then on a lower side i would assume).
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 15:13   #54
BHPian

dude let us know where exactly is your office in bangalore and we can suggest some near by resedential place for you to relocate, finding a house in 9 -10k shouldnt be a problem. just fill us with details when you will be shifting and the rest can be taken care. with regard to nightlife, traffic, people you will get used to it in a few days. Overall bangalore is a great place to live in...
Red Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 20:09   #55
Senior - BHPian

Guys
My office would be in the IPTL area. I was surfing 99acres.com and looks like Marathahlli is the only area offering flats within my budget (8k). Something like this:

Bangalore East Properties, Properties in Bangalore East, Marathahalli, Rent, Real Estate Independent House/Villa in Bangalore East - 99acres.com

Is there any area near to IPTL which would be suitable for me? How much kms is IPTL from Marathahlli ?
Whats the deal with Volvo buses ? Are they better compared to using your own transport ?

Last edited by DCEite : 9th February 2009 at 20:11.
Old 9th February 2009, 20:28   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there any area near to IPTL which would be suitable for me? How much kms is IPTL from Marathahlli ?
Whats the deal with Volvo buses ? Are they better compared to using your own transport ?
Places near to ITPL would include Hoody, Mahadevpura, Marathalli, Brookfields, AECS Layout. Among these, the last 3 would take my choice.

Marathalli junction to ITPL is about 8kms. Dont get mislead by the distance though.. will easily take you about 45 minutes during peak hours.

Volvo buses are regular and convenient for transport. Regarding own transport, do you plan on using your own car, or a bike? Be prepared to pay the road tax here, if its a bike, without fail. No other way out.

Volvos save you the hassle of having to drive down everyday, letting you travel in comfort (if u get a seat) as well as enabling your blood pressure to remain on sane levels.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 20:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply, Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Be prepared to pay the road tax here, if its a bike, without fail. No other way out.
No it will be my car, do i still have to pay? How much is it BTW.
Old 13th February 2009, 14:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

I was browsing 99acres and it seems following are the area in Bangalore East:

Airport Road (130)
Indira Nagar (93)
Thippasandra (92)
Kodihalli (69)
CV Raman Nagar (58)
GM Palaya (29)
Maleshpalaya (22)
Domlur (21)
HAL Layout (15)
Vignan Nagar (15)
Marathahalli (12)
AECS Layout (1)
Arekere (1)
B'lore East/Others (1)
Bagmane Tech Park (3)
Banaswadi (1)
Basavanagar (8)
Cambridge Layout (5)
Cox Town (1)
Defence Colony (2)
Geetanjali Layout (3)
HBR Layout (1)
HRBR Layout (5)
Jeevan bima nagar (10)
Kaggadasapura (8)
Kasturi Nagar (3)
Kemp Fort (8)
Kundanahalli (1)
Mahadevpura (1)
Maruthi Nagar (1)
OMBR Layout (1)
Old Madras Road (2)
Pai Layout (5)
Rammurthy Nagar (3)
TC Palaya (1)
Ulsoor (2)
Whitefield (7)

I am looking for a 1/2BHK with following priorities:
1. Close to IPTL
2. Safety

Can someone please help ?
Old 13th February 2009, 14:39   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I was browsing 99acres and it seems following are the area in Bangalore East:

Marathahalli (12)
AECS Layout (1)
Kundanahalli (1)
Mahadevpura (1)
Old Madras Road (2)
Whitefield (7)
Can someone please help ?
Places close to ITPL with a average distance of 8km radius are shortlisted above.

Ben or mjothi can guide you more on this aspect
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:43   #60
BHPian

Now is the right time for people with hard cash to buy properties.

@dceite i think marathahalli is the best option for you . Its a good place and there are bhpians also staying that area which is great.

Last edited by chetan : 13th February 2009 at 14:47.
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote